• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] deflashing

i had a gstarrr sw recently that had so much flashing on the PLH that the disc looked like the bottom of an epic.

im not even surprised anymore innova. why do i still throw your molds?

I have tried sandpaper, but a parking lot is really the easiest, quickest, and doesn't harm the disc at all.

The flashing on the bottom of discs really irritates my fingers on release, so I deflash discs immediately before throwing them. That way no pain, and I just assume they fly this way from the get go rather than wondering how much stability the flashing adds.

I have noticed on MVP discs that there are little rectangular numbs on the edge, must be where they inject the mold? Some of them are broken off or flush with the rim, while some can protrude a mm or so.

Eh I used to remove all flashing, but nowadays I very rarely do. I did find that if the flashing protrudes quite far from the bottom edge of the disc then removing it is usually not a great idea unless you want it to fly significantly less overstable.

I did that to a PA2, and the amount of overstability it lost ruined the disc for me.

I have tried sandpaper, but a parking lot is really the easiest, quickest, and doesn't harm the disc at all.

Agreed. Quasars are the only disc I bag that need deflashed, and that's the method I use. I've seen discs lose more stability than they should when people take off too much with a knife, like what I did to an SOLS at one point....

Another option is a deburring tool, especially if you want to remove flashing from the bottom of the rim. It does take a little feel to get it right so be careful.
post-snapondeburring.jpg

You're a real card, T.

As for flashing, I prefer throwing the disc in the street a few times, or roughing it up on my gravel front yard. It seems better to imitate a more "natural" wear and tear.

Normally I deflash the sharp part from the bottom of the rim. The first reason is comfort, but even bigger one is to get the disc to a point of wear where it wont have any abrupt changes.

I've noticed with Saint and Saint Pro that the deflashing has a huge effect on the stability. However, I prefer to have that change happen before rather than in the middle of an important round. I would hate throwing the next teeshot in tourney with the same disc after a skip on tarmac if the deflashing wasn't done before.

Opto/GL Pure has huge and sharp flashing and an xacto knife is really mandatory to make it throwable.

Last edited:
Another option is a deburring tool, especially if you want to remove flashing from the bottom of the rim. It does take a little feel to get it right so be careful.
post-snapondeburring.jpg

Man i use those to deburr drill pipe at work it makes my hand ache just looking at that thing.

As sharp as those are, you would really have to know how to use it to be able to properly deflash a disc without taking off too much.

I use a fine grit sand paper I get from work to deflash new discs. It works great without having to worry about taking to much meat off.

Last edited:
Man i use those to deburr drill pipe at work it makes my hand ache just looking at that thing.

As sharp as those are, you would really have to know how to use it to be able to properly deflash a disc without taking off too much.

I use a fine grit sand paper I get from work to deflash new discs. It works great without having to worry about taking to much meat off.

I tried sandpaper and it was too much like work to get it right. I use my basement wall. Wax on. Wax off. Done!

I've got a smoothish concrete driveway, and if I bet a new disc with flashing (that I don't like the flight of), I'll rub it in a circular motion on the concrete to simulate long term breaking in...works like a charm.