• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Pressure Point

epkade

Bogey Member
I have recently decided to further investigate grip within my form. I have tried to read the following link's page extensively to really figure grip out.

https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

However, the article seems to contradict some things I have heard about grip before. I believe HUB speaks about thumb pressure locking in the index hook. Whereas Blake T. talks about grip strength be related to the rip fingers pressure into area around the third knuckle of the index and the thumb base. What I am getting at is:

Is it best to focus on downward pressure from the thumb into the index finger between the first and second knuckle (where the disc usually rests for me...usually using mids and fairways) or to focus on the rip finger's pressure into the thumb base? To me the first idea creates a "pivot" point around the side of the index finger between the first and second knuckle and the second idea creates a "pivot" point around the tip or pad of the index finger.

Deep Flight Plate (DFP) is a completely different topic...I think. I'm looking at basic grip strategies to improve transferring energy into the disc.

Also, another video often referenced with grips is this video:

Perhaps both index pressure towards the inner rim and thumb pressure down into the area where the flight plate meets the rim (and subsequent pressure from the disc rim edge into the index finger) are necessary to create an ideal grip.... Let me know what works for you!

That's my vid. I hold the disc the same way I write with a pen(I actually write with all fingers) or use a fork, and hold the steering wheel. The pressure in my fan grip from the thumb pad goes right between the index tip and middle finger pad while the thumb tip is also forward slightly of the index knuckles. The base of the thumb locks pressure down into the pinky. I would say the primary pressure is thumb pad to index/middle and rim to front of palm, and secondary pressure is thumb base to pinky lock and not touching the back of the palm. I think where most players go wrong is by curling the disc into the back of the palm and taking pressure away from the front of the palm.

I'd recommend trying Robbie's two finger grip, and then modify it with your other fingers and maintaining the index/thumb position.