• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Destroyers are very controllable discs for a distance driver, which is probably partially why so many pros throw them. I only carry 1 real "max distance" Destroyer in my bag. The others are all for controllable distance drives, so you're probably right (not that I'd consider myself much of a "power thrower").

I suspect that lots of people who carry loads of Destroyers also carry 1 or 2 as backups. In a tournament situation I'd probably carry 1 extra, a backup for my workhorse Star Destroyer.

Totally agree about Destroyers being controllable for pros and (physically) stronger players, and also about some carrying backups. But what I was thinking of when I made my previous comment is that I've seen people with seven Destroyers on casual rounds. They may be practicing for tournaments, but I marveled at seven Destroyers. But hey, that's what makes DG what it is. :)

Totally agree about Destroyers being controllable for pros and (physically) stronger players, and also about some carrying backups. But what I was thinking of when I made my previous comment is that I've seen people with seven Destroyers on casual rounds. They may be practicing for tournaments, but I marveled at seven Destroyers. But hey, that's what makes DG what it is. :)

I usually carry 3-4 Destroyers in my bag from flippy to overstable. Some casual rounds I may have more if it's a course with a lot of longer shots. I really like throwing Destroyers so I'll throw a couple extra in my bag for fun shots.

I typically bag 4 Destroyers for league and tournament rounds, all star, ranging from fresh overstable to flip up and finish right, RHBH. I have roller Destroyers but I don't typically carry them for most rounds/courses. I actually prefer a slower/blunter disc for rollers.

When I'm playing a practice round I might carry 6 or so Destroyers- throwing multiples to get extra shots/lines in as well as keep the cycling/seasoning process going.

I really only need 3 destroyers at a time. A straight to fade star, an overstable star, and a beat up pro that will do everything. I frequently have more ITB at a time because I'm constantly buying new destroyers and needing to test new ones out to see what they can do.

Haha, yeah I think a bunch of people said it pretty well, but Destroyers are most useful when they're at least a bit seasoned, so throwing fresher ones as extras during casual rounds makes a lot of sense if you're trying to get them to a useful stage. Also gives you an idea of what they'll do since new Destroyers are all over the place in terms of stability.

Personally, if I'm at a shorter course I usually don't carry any Destroyers at all. I often play casual rounds going as light as possible. I might take an extra disc or two if I've got some new discs to try or some I want to season, but my back and shoulders thank me for keeping the bag lighter, and I find I enjoy the round more that way.

Haha, yeah I think a bunch of people said it pretty well, but Destroyers are most useful when they're at least a bit seasoned, so throwing fresher ones as extras during casual rounds makes a lot of sense if you're trying to get them to a useful stage. Also gives you an idea of what they'll do since new Destroyers are all over the place in terms of stability.

Personally, if I'm at a shorter course I usually don't carry any Destroyers at all. I often play casual rounds going as light as possible. I might take an extra disc or two if I've got some new discs to try or some I want to season, but my back and shoulders thank me for keeping the bag lighter, and I find I enjoy the round more that way.

Yes, I limit my bag and my back, particularly the lumbar area, thanks me for it. And I do have that one DX Destroyer that I occasionally put in the bag and throw around, mostly to see if it'll season into something useful for me.

But no, I don't think I'll be carrying seven of any one mold, even for a tournament. But that's just me; if anyone else wants to, by all means they should do so....

I use two destroyers and one pd2.

1x 169 star seasoned
1x 169 fresh
1x 175 pd2

I use destroyers in calm to mild headwind, bump up to a pd2 if the winds are howling.

Ever since I lost my favorite baby.. a nicely beat in 4 year old Star Destroyer earlier this year, and promptly lost my only back up a few weeks later, I have started carrying various degrees of stability and "beat-in-ness" in my bag. I am pretty sure I will always carry more Destroyers than any other disc in my bag. They just work.

I wish I could justify carrying more destroyers, I have a bunch of awesome throwers. But my 2 go to local courses only have a total of 6 destroyer shots between them. Makes me sad.

I carry 3. 1 fresh, 1 seasoned and 1 beat. I lost 2 of my favorite seasoned ones last week. A bright green aj and a blue pearly aj. Most sad about the blue pearly one as it matched my pearly boss and katana. I need to find a replacement for it and a Vulcan.

I wish I could justify carrying more destroyers, I have a bunch of awesome throwers. But my 2 go to local courses only have a total of 6 destroyer shots between them. Makes me sad.

Well if you want to get rid of some of those awesome throwers you don't have spots for in the bag, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. ;)

Well, just for fun, I've decided to catalog my Destroyer collection. I have 20, which I'm sure is not nearly as large as many on here. Feel free to follow suit and show off your collections! So here are the pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/954qcnQo76xm2w9M6

Top row is all my non-Stars. First 2 are 2014 Amateur Doubles GStar Destroyers (regularly both ITB). Then comes a very high PLH F2 JL champ that's an absolute meat hook. Then a throwback stamped champ (nice pop-top), and lastly an F2 pro. All the rest of the rows are Stars.

Second row has 2 light weight McBeths (158 and 159). I have hopes that if I can beat the overstability out of one of these it will be a true bomber someday. Then a white F2 (my primary backup). Then a real oddity of an F2 (wiped stamp) which has the thinnest flight plate I've felt on a Destroyer (feels almost flimsy) and an L-type wing. Finally, my current workhorse ITB, a patent numbers blue F2.

Third row has 4 Grand Slams (all 175, newer run) and a very OS soft star that I bought to support my buddy Stu Mullenburg who is a fantastic disc golf photographer (you've probably seen his work because most of the major disc companies have used his photography from tournaments in the past).

The fourth row has 3 pearly white SDS pop-tops (I've thrown one of them, very OS despite being 166g), 1 pearly yellow patent numbers pop-top (super OS, comes out on very windy days), and finally a swirly Wiggins.

Well if you want to get rid of some of those awesome throwers you don't have spots for in the bag, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. ;)

Lol! Zero shot! I still play tournaments and travel to play a lot.

On that note, if any of your pop tops are looking for a good home you should def pm me.

Anybody else loving the grand slams as a thrower? I think they are really great

Lol! Zero shot! I still play tournaments and travel to play a lot.

On that note, if any of your pop tops are looking for a good home you should def pm me.

Anybody else loving the grand slams as a thrower? I think they are really great

Haha, yeah I figured, but it never hurts to ask. You should post some pics of your collection, I'd love to see it! The SDS's definitely won't be going anywhere without significant payment or trades. I originally had 7 just like them and the last one I got rid of I sold for $70. I haven't thrown any of my grand slams yet, but I probably will one of these days. I'm currently working on breaking in the 159 McBeth and the 166 SDS to a more usable stage (for my ~400 foot arm at least). I wish I were able to travel and play more tournaments. Having a 4 year old and a 5 month old kid as well as a full-time job really curtails that sort of thing for me right now. Still, the Portland area has an abundance of great courses, so I'm not in any need of finding courses that require plenty of Destroyer shots.

Maybe I read it wrong but... are you saying that you got $70 for an SDS without patent numbers???

No, I didn't spell it out, but all my SDS's have patent numbers (and are pearly and stiff with nice, even pop tops). Are there any SDS's without patent numbers? I've seen *DS's with and without patent numbers, but I thought all the SDS's were penned when the patent numbers were still on the mold.

Nice photos. Just need some first run Stars.

I haven't been around and collecting Destroyers long enough to see any of those for anything like a reasonable price. I'm not paying $40 for someone's super beat *D or FR (or something much more insane for one in good condition). I'm happy to sell for those prices, but it's not worth it to me to buy them. I bought all mine new. I got the SDS's (and most of the other patent numbers Destroyers I have) from the Innova Factory Store back when they still had stacks of old F2's before word got around and people bought them all out. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the yellow champ F2 has patent numbers, so I guess it's actually older champ rather than JL.

No, I didn't spell it out, but all my SDS's have patent numbers (and are pearly and stiff with nice, even pop tops). Are there any SDS's without patent numbers? I've seen *DS's with and without patent numbers, but I thought all the SDS's were penned when the patent numbers were still on the mold.
Nope. They are still out there without patent numbers. Just saw one at a Scheels last weekend and I know GGGT had at least 5 the last time I went through their stack. New flexy star plastic and everything. Basically somebody at the factory was probably bored or trolling.

Carry on.