• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I've finally beaten in a Philo Destroyer from the first year they released them(2017?) to the point that I can put a good flight on it. I have a 2018 and a 19 in reserve. Love the lighter weight of these.

I've finally beaten in a Philo Destroyer from the first year they released them(2017?) to the point that I can put a good flight on it. I have a 2018 and a 19 in reserve. Love the lighter weight of these.

I found a 2019 (no name and number and nobody else was there at that time) on a course I played when driving through central TX. Threw it for the round and was surprised how understable it was. I was getting it to 430' with power that would send a Teebird 300' or a little more. Could have been a little water damage as I found it in a muddy creek. Maybe I'll throw it back in my bag.

Looks like the halo destroyers have a new bottom piece. Not sure if the Calvins did or didnt but you can def play a record on the bottom of the halo destroyers we got

Does that affect the grip of the disc? I know some discs that got a new bottom piece to them feel slick until the mold its self wears in.

Last edited:
Does that affect the grip of the disc? I know some discs that got a new bottom piece to them feel slick until the mold its self wears in.

Not to me, it was just more an informative post, and to see if anybody notices a change in flight because of it

Not to me, it was just more an informative post, and to see if anybody notices a change in flight because of it

The 2020 Calvin I got is stable but more middle of the road than anything. Definite dome and the plastic is pretty soft. Nothing like the older McBeth ones. Would place them in the same realm as any destroyer made within the last year or so, at max weight.

One of my raptor destroyers did not like storage. It's dome had turned to be convex. I threw it and it flew more understable as before. The aerodynamics (or aeromystics) of these discs is odd. Flat is normally more overstable but apparently convex makes them understable...

The 2020 Calvin I got is stable but more middle of the road than anything. Definite dome and the plastic is pretty soft. Nothing like the older McBeth ones. Would place them in the same realm as any destroyer made within the last year or so, at max weight.

Yea, I got to see the Calvins fly this weekend and Id have to imagine that Calvin is not happy with them since I thought I heard these were made specifically to be on the more overstable side and they are not. Now if they would just make some non max weight ones.

Quick question: Were the AJ Destroyers less overstable than the McBeth runs?

I tried McBeth Destoyers a couple years back and in a couple different weights and they were too much for me. Now, after taking 8 months off due to a shoulder injury in my thowing shoulder I'm finding that a couple of older AJ Destroyers I had sitting around are providing easy distance even at max weight. The shape is totally different than I remember the McBeth being as well. The AJ's have a sharper nose and flatter top.

Yea, I got to see the Calvins fly this weekend and Id have to imagine that Calvin is not happy with them since I thought I heard these were made specifically to be on the more overstable side and they are not. Now if they would just make some non max weight ones.

Add it to the graveyard of tour series star destroyers not being thrown by the person whose name is on it.

Add it to the graveyard of tour series star destroyers not being thrown by the person whose name is on it.

Though I do like some of the Tour series Destroyers, I do feel that there are too many tour series Destroyers. Would have loved to see a Philo Roc or Aviar, maybe bring back the Brinster Teebird. Love that double G has the Whombat3, Barsby and the Eagle. I guess I would like to see tour series discs that touring players are known to throw that aren't Destroyers. I love the Destroyer, don't get me wrong. But maybe just a little overkill on the Tour series.

Quick question: Were the AJ Destroyers less overstable than the McBeth runs?

I tried McBeth Destoyers a couple years back and in a couple different weights and they were too much for me. Now, after taking 8 months off due to a shoulder injury in my thowing shoulder I'm finding that a couple of older AJ Destroyers I had sitting around are providing easy distance even at max weight. The shape is totally different than I remember the McBeth being as well. The AJ's have a sharper nose and flatter top.

From what I've seen, yes. AJ Destroyers tended to be a little gummy, flat, and somewhat flippy. McBeths could be domey or flat, but they were almost always really beefy.

If you want a newer Destroyer that flies similar to an AJ, try a Wysocki raptor one. They're fairly mellow and actually have some high speed turn.

I fully agree McBeth Destroyers can be a chore to throw.

From what I've seen, yes. AJ Destroyers tended to be a little gummy, flat, and somewhat flippy. McBeths could be domey or flat, but they were almost always really beefy.

If you want a newer Destroyer that flies similar to an AJ, try a Wysocki raptor one. They're fairly mellow and actually have some high speed turn.

I'd have to agree. For a while I was one of the people making gross generalizations about Destroyers, attempting to figure out which ones fly certain ways.

I've come to the conclusion that you really can't tell. Each Destroyer seems to be different, often even within a particular run.

Short of actually throwing the disc, holding the disc in hand and checking the physical characteristics is better than picking Destroyers based on the stamp.

I have multiple stock stamped McBeth Destroyers that are domey and have either a flat wing or even a convex wing. They are mellow and have high speed turn. It surprised me because I always thought of McBeth Destroyers as beefy.

I thought of AJ Destroyers as more flippy, until I saw Philo's AJ that he described as "meathook galore."

Point is, you just can't say how a given Destroyer will fly based on the stamp.

Understand that under current circumstances it may not be possible to check before buying. Still, getting a Wysocki raptor stamp Destroyer doesn't mean it'll fly like a flippy AJ. It could end up flying like a beefy McBeth.

Thanks for the tips TWMcCoy. Good points Sarocam. I'm lucky to have a very well stocked local shop, so I'll wait until they re-open and go check out the Wysocki stamps and see how they fly.

longest and mellowest destroyers are domey pros...they beat in to understable flippy..but fairly fresh are reliable and long..my mcbeths were bticks...but now a year or so seasoned are my straightest most reliable...have a light ricky that is very good..and 2 172 ricks that are nice also

longest and mellowest destroyers are domey pros...they beat in to understable flippy..but fairly fresh are reliable and long..my mcbeths were bticks...but now a year or so seasoned are my straightest most reliable...have a light ricky that is very good..and 2 172 ricks that are nice also

McBeth Destroyers made my arm hurt to throw. They're absolute beef. I know I'm generalizing again here, but out of like 12 McBeth Destroyers I've thrown, maybe 2 had high speed turn. The rest were glideless beef. Good for headwinds, but much shorter than other Destroyers in calm conditions.

Here's my next generalization: I've had 3 Ricky raptor Destroyers so far, and they've all flown the same. Glidey, and true to the numbers.

However, if we've learned anything over the years its that you can't really assume anything with Destroyers. I've thrown a ton of them during that time. I notice trends, but every time I think I have things figured out I'll find a disc that surprises me.

Your best bet when buying a Destroyer is to buy it from a store so you can see/hold the disc. That way you can figure out if it has the characteristics you want. Ordering online you don't know what you're going to get when you open the package.