• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW in January

JTacoma03

* Ace Member *
So as an Xmas present myself and a few people are going to do a weekend in DFW (from Baton Rouge). It won't be completely DG oriented, but I'd like to play 2-3 rounds while there.

We're likely staying either near Carrollton or Garland (both places are right off 635) cuz my hotel rewards can get us hooked up pretty cheap there.

I'm trying to decide which courses we should consider - any suggestions? There will be at least 4 of us, though I'm going to try to avoid a supergroup it might happen anyway because we're on vacation.

Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks to navigating the DFW scene, and if you're interested in playing a casual round with us, let me know (a couple others besides me are DGCR members as well)!

If you're going to be more towards Garland then you def. need to hit up Harry Myers. Its the top rated course in the metroplex. If your in the Carrolton area, I would make the drive up I-35 and play both the Lewisville courses. Lewisville Lake Park and L.L.Woods. Another awesome course I recommend is Towne Lake DGC in McKinney. It should only be about a 20-30 minute drive from Carrolton up Hwy 75.

If you're going to be more towards Garland then you def. need to hit up Harry Myers. Its the top rated course in the metroplex. If your in the Carrolton area, I would make the drive up I-35 and play both the Lewisville courses. Lewisville Lake Park and L.L.Woods. Another awesome course I recommend is Towne Lake DGC in McKinney. It should only be about a 20-30 minute drive from Carrolton up Hwy 75.

Yup.

Thanks for the replies -

I'm pretty sure our hotel is the Courtyard Marriott right at the intersection of 635 and 35. About how long does it take to get to these courses? Google Maps is saying 23min. to both Lewisville courses and 40+min. to Harry Myers, does that sound correct?

Finally, do any of these courses get overly crowded during the weekend? Or are there any courses just to flat out avoid due to congestion?

Thanks again!

Those times sound about right as long as you go in the middle of the day. Traffic in Dallas is brutal so I would wait until after 10am to leave and try to be heading back by 4 because there is construction going on along 35 in Lewisville. I don't think over-crowding should be a problem if you're coming out around Christmas time. It'll be pretty cold by then and a vast majority of recreational DG'ers take the winter off around here, as I'm sure they do else where. I haven't made my way up to that part of the metroplex to play all the other smaller courses that are near by where you'll be yet, but with the exception of about 3 other courses in a 40 mile radius, all the others are rated around 2.5 or lower. I wouldn't bother with any of those if you're going to be strapped on time and just want to get a couple rounds in at some quality courses while you're in town. Seeing as you'll be so close, I would definitely go to Lewisville though. After that, try to make it out to Harry Myers if you can.

LL woods is a fun course (played there today) but nothing to write home about. but you can easily play both courses in one afternoon and lake park is great.

it's also not that far to bear creek which is a fairly wooded "homeboyish" course. also, if you're strapped for time but want to get a round in fritz park is a really great 9 hole that's not too far either.

hasn't been too crowded lately but if there is a crowd anywhere it will be at lake park. harry myers is worth the drive.

Lake Lewisville (perfect if it has rained). I wouldn't bother with LL Woods unless you already played a round at Lake Park and want another round but don't want to play LP again. Lake Park can get heavy traffic but nothing too bad, should be fine in Jan when the fair weather golfers stay home. If you have the time, Harry Myers in Rockwall is a must play, expect a long round. Jimmy Porter isn't a terrible course, if you are short on time and don't want to mess with traffic, It isn't a "must play".

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I'm really looking forward to playing there. I've been jonesing to play some DFW dg for awhile now.

Offer still stands if anybody wants to meet up for a round hit me up!

From that intersection, you cn take 35 north to 121 and be in Mactown in about 25 depending on time of the day

make sure you let us know the dates you'll be there. i'm up for a round!

We'll be there January 6-9. Going to see Alter Bridge @ Trees on the 7th...and probably partying with half of Baton Rouge that will be in the area after LSU takes out A&M in the Cotton Bowl :D

I'm not sure what days we'll play which courses, but I'll post when I do. Probably going to hit up Lindsey Park in Tyler on the way as well.

I agree on these being nice courses except for L.L.Woods,I've played all of these several times but would not go back to L.L.woods.

I would have to agree that Turner Park is a must play. It is one of the most diverse courses in the area. It has a good mix of long holes, short holes, up hill holes, down hill holes, water holes and wooded holes. Also, I can't remember a time where I went there and it was too crowded.

It also may be a drive but Lester Lorch has two of the best courses in the same park. Harry Myers is also worth the drive.

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the suggestions- is there a good pro shop or chain w/good selection in the area? I want to get Ript Revenge and a couple of the new discraft mids, but I don't think an online order would get here before I leave for the trip.

If anyone knows where the good plastic hookup is in DFW let me know, thanks!

The Play it Again Sports in Carrollton (2661 Midway Road
Carrollton, TX 75006) probably has the largest selection. Prices are of course higher than Disc Golf Center but they carry just about every brand and are local.

Turner park (Grand Prairie), Harry Myers (Rockwall), Lester Lorch (Cedar Hill), Town Lake (McKinney) are some of the best in the area. Play it Again Sports in Carrollton has a great selection and some great people run the place so definitely drop by if you need some plastic.

Drop me a line if you play on the 8th. I usually go out around 10 or 11 and would be down to throw if you need a guide.

If you want to come up north....Bill Allen or mac town let me know

You totally forgot to add Bill Allen Memorial. Truely a fantastic course. Super awsome hole variety. Yes...super awsome.

Latest posts