• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG on ESPN... getting closer.

**** this makes me want to leave my town and go play where its bigger. Im missing out on so ****ing much.

Maybe it's just me, and I'm sure I'm going to get reamed, but...

I personally would prefer that DG not be on ESPN.. Just my opinion, I like disc golf because it IS NOT mainstream and there are not little wannabe kiddies dressing in the finest fashions of the sport throwing discs everywhere...

I can see this pov. Courses are crowded enough as it is.

this video reminds me of the ultimate frisbee videos that came out in the late 90s. they eventually started throwing larger tournament play on espn 2 & 3 and its become much more mainstream and accepted but still has its niche. its stuff like this that got us all psyched about it and motivated to grow the sport. bravo.

Disc golf was on ESPN back in 1999. They showed a clip of Kenny hitting an ace on some sort of golf show.. Don't remember the name.

I'm not saying that it should or shouldn't..

Just saying that I personally like the sport as underground with select few.. The in-formalities the small, close knit group of people who play regularly. It's a catch22, popularity helps in some areas and hinders in others.

I just witnessed a rise in popularity in climbing, specifically bouldering. It went from a very select few who braved the weather in beautiful remote places. Turning these very same locations into places where trash, feces and camping became rampant ruining very very pristine and delicate environmental locations.

Just my $0.02

At some point, they (Golf Ch) may be actively seeking to freshen up and regain a more youthful segment of viewership. Or at least try to.

You mean apart from the scathing wit of Feherty and the smoking hot woman on "Morning Drive"? And maybe all the reasonably young contestants on the Big Break reality series, and the televised long drive competitions? I think they do some good things. I don't know if disc golf fits their niche, though. But for the obvious similarities, it's a good crossover option.

You mean apart from the scathing wit of Feherty and the smoking hot woman on "Morning Drive"? And maybe all the reasonably young contestants on the Big Break reality series, and the televised long drive competitions? I think they do some good things. I don't know if disc golf fits their niche, though. But for the obvious similarities, it's a good crossover option.

I'd love for someone, preferably a pro like Emac, to get Feherty out for a round of disc golf. I think he has a place here around Dallas TX so Selah Ranch would be a good place to take him.

Nice spit at 1:19, must have been a practice putt, not live, based on the reaction of Jeremy after missing it.

I found it interesting that Dave was by far the oldest person they showed in the video. I wonder if they are trying to show disc golf in the same light as skateboarding or other fringe sports where most of the participants are young, athletic and somewhat alternative. This would probably be a good way to draw in some younger players.
MTL kinda already hit on it, but of the top players in attendance at that event, Dave really was the oldest with any notable credentials. I mean, there were a few of us "older" folks there (I'm 33, but these days, that is old in the Open division, at least when the big guns show up), but we weren't on the top cards, didn't have major and NT titles to our name, and certainly wouldn't evoke much beyond the boring appearance of being "weekend hobbyists". Regardless of their aim audience-wise, they picked the absolute right people to be on camera talking about and demonstrating our sport.

That being said, the oldest player in attendance that weekend was featured...sort of. Of course, only the people who know him would know it, but the license plate that said "Frizbe" belongs to the lone Senior Grandmaster participant.

All in all great camera work, video quality is excellent and Dave is a great spokesman for the sport.
I agree wholeheartedly. This is one of the best videos of its kind I've seen. It's professional, it's done by an "outsider" yet it does not once make disc golf out to be anything other than a legitimate up and coming sport. No cracks about flinging frisbees in the park or hippies. Just athletes (loved Cam using that term so emphatically) doing athletic things.

As for the whole 200 feet par 3 thing, I don't think it's a big deal. Dave was drawing parallels between ball golf and disc golf, and he happened to pick 200 as his number. Are ball golfers going to get worked up that he's implying that anything over 200 yards is a par 4? I doubt it. No reason for us to worry about it either. If people lock the idea of 200+ feet = par 4 into their heads based on that one sentence and let it influence their decision to try disc golf, then they aren't likely to delve all that far into trying the game no matter what we say.

I'm not saying that it should or shouldn't..

Just saying that I personally like the sport as underground with select few.. The in-formalities the small, close knit group of people who play regularly. It's a catch22, popularity helps in some areas and hinders in others.

I just witnessed a rise in popularity in climbing, specifically bouldering. It went from a very select few who braved the weather in beautiful remote places. Turning these very same locations into places where trash, feces and camping became rampant ruining very very pristine and delicate environmental locations.

Just my $0.02

As a climber myself and seeing those same changes, I can echo those sentiments in disc golf. I would like disc golf to grow, but not too much so stuff like that happens. If disc golf did get big, who knows if it would be sustained growth, or a fad growth if that makes sense. I always get new people to start playing, and most of them tend to play for up to a year, and then stop playing or they only play occasionally. I thnk about 5% of the people I introduced to disc golf have been playing longer than a year or consistently. I tend to not play too much in the summertime as I live in Phoenix, but I do play some night games when I get the chance.

Nice. We're getting closer. Potheads be damned! As far as the 200ft comment goes, I thought it was a perfect statement in the context it was given. Rarely except for Pros are Par 3s in ball golf much longer than 200yds. So to get more of the general public to understand the game, it made perfect sense.

Its a nice video. I see it as a one-off segment though, and not a gateway to future coverage of events.

Traditional television is a dinosaur anyways.

Man if feldberg had said 400ft I wouldn't have a problem with it but why did he have to say 200ft? I've never even played a hole that was under 200ft yet i've played a ton of par 3's that were 200 yards.... IMO feldberg biffed that up, not as badly as when he was on Conan OBrien though. He was so doofy it was painful to watch and he loves to miss easy putts when he's demonstrating putting.

Says the man with an avatar made famous on said dinosaur.
Thing is the dinosaur is evolving with things like DVR's, on demand, shows being streamed though the network's websites, and sites like Hulu. People don't have to view a show when the network airs it anymore, or even use a television to do it.

Thing is the dinosaur is evolving with things like DVR's, on demand, shows being streamed though the network's websites, and sites like Hulu. People don't have to view a show when the network airs it anymore, or even use a television to do it.

I know and I agree. Just teasing....

Actually, I watch Disc Golf Monthly OnDemand on Comcast.

Great video.

For those of you arguing these tiny little semantics, you need to realize one thing - THIS VIDEO IS NOT MADE FOR YOU. When a video is made, there is a target audience and demographic. Disc golfers are not in this demographic, otherwise there'd be all kinds of jargon spoken, and the angles would be very different. The point of this video is to expose the sport in a polished, cool way to those who don't know about it. The obvious closest relative to our sport is Golf, so it's relying on an existing body of common cultural knowledge to expand and extend to our sport. It's the easiest way to digest the info, using existing knowledge as reference, so let it be.

I mean my god- are some of you really getting up in arms about a factual statement? Par 3's ARE 200ft.

Latest posts