• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG on ESPN... getting closer.

"I like disc golf because it IS NOT mainstream. . ."

"I can see this pov. Courses are crowded enough as it is."

Sorry fellas, it's hard not to feel that's close-minded. Like everything else in life, you don't gain something unless you lose something. Sure, disc golf can stay the special, private, little fun you and your buddies have, but publicizing and promoting the sport is the only way to get what we all really, honestly want -- more quality, compelling courses. Selling the benefits of the sport and garnering support by a broader community -- lemme tell you -- pays off in a big way.

The real story behind 2012 Worlds was the campaign of civic and government backing that, yeah-so-what, resulted in the largest DG tournament ever, with unprecedented media coverage and sport-awareness by the larger-Charlotte market. But what did it all really, honestly mean? How about NINE new tourney-level courses built in just five years. There's your answer to "Courses are crowded enough as it is."

And now that Worlds is gone, what's left? Why, look, a county with 16 disc golf courses with plenty of opportunity to play for both the open- and closed-minded.

But wait, as the TV guy says, there's more. . .The network created to foster Worlds and the positive community reaction generated by the event has engendered conversations that could pay off in a double-digit number of new courses affiliated with schools in our region. That's big. No, huge.

Picture this. Wouldn't you love to see new designers and manufacturers enter the sport, with waves of improved technology? Can't you see what it will mean when courses are integrated into neighborhood and school design, and Park & Rec departments include disc golf in their long-range budgeting and strategic planning? It can and will happen, because more and more players will embrace the idea that it's good to share something good.

I have a hard time seeing any displeasing colors in that portrait.

Its a nice video. I see it as a one-off segment though, and not a gateway to future coverage of events.

Traditional television is a dinosaur anyways.

This is true. I was thinking the same. Cross your fingers either way.

At 2:27 someone is holding a Monarch. See, it doesn't suck. :|

"I like disc golf because it IS NOT mainstream. . ."

"I can see this pov. Courses are crowded enough as it is."

Sorry fellas, it's hard not to feel that's close-minded.

Sorry, but you obviously don't know me. And saying I can see someone's POV doesn't mean I'm close-minded. (I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but calling me close-minded is one of the few things someone can do/say to me that I don't tolerate).

Picture this. Wouldn't you love to see new designers and manufacturers enter the sport, with waves of improved technology? Can't you see what it will mean when courses are integrated into neighborhood and school design, and Park & Rec departments include disc golf in their long-range budgeting and strategic planning? It can and will happen, because more and more players will embrace the idea that it's good to share something good.

Your entitled to your opinion as well as I am, so don't ASS-U-and-ME close-minded-ness as you are a prime example of a culprit.

Regardless, I would not like commercialization and what comes along with a mainstream sport...

Unfortunately it is inevitable, once you have created a market, you will have people, businesses and departments exploiting that market for their own uses.

Again, let me stress, I'm not speaking against it. I just am expressing my own personal opinion on what I would like.. and your right, it is probably inevitable, but I don't think it will ever become 'popular' or mainstream to the point I'm speaking about.

Sorry, but you obviously don't know me. And saying I can see someone's POV doesn't mean I'm close-minded. (I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but calling me close-minded is one of the few things someone can do/say to me that I don't tolerate).

He obviously knows everything about everything... especially DG :popcorn:

Great video! Some of the golf analogies are a little stretched... I guess they're producing this to run for a golf audience, or alongside a golf segment, etc.

But, pretty good text, great visuals, good mix of personalities, and some quality throws.

Great video.

For those of you arguing these tiny little semantics, you need to realize one thing - THIS VIDEO IS NOT MADE FOR YOU. When a video is made, there is a target audience and demographic. Disc golfers are not in this demographic, otherwise there'd be all kinds of jargon spoken, and the angles would be very different. The point of this video is to expose the sport in a polished, cool way to those who don't know about it. The obvious closest relative to our sport is Golf, so it's relying on an existing body of common cultural knowledge to expand and extend to our sport. It's the easiest way to digest the info, using existing knowledge as reference, so let it be.

I mean my god- are some of you really getting up in arms about a factual statement? Par 3's ARE 200ft.

Someone is a little sensitive.....

Blur and dashiellx, it may seem splitting hairs but I didn't call anyone close-minded. I said the statements felt that way, and in themselves don't offer nearly enough weight to judge the authors one way or the other. I apologize if it seemed I was name-calling.

If Spinthrift has any enemies, I'd be shocked. I'm gonna go on a limb and say that he didn't mean to offend anyone. He worked his tail off for World's this past year and it shows in his opinion and statement.

ESPN 8: The Ocho here we come!

agreed haha

i saw this last night on wills facebook video quality is great i feel like if espn starts covering it prices of discs and everything are gonna go up but i could just be an idiot. i feel like espn riggs sports just to have something to talk about like tebow and such. but im just rambling

ESPN 8: The Ocho here we come!
Only if Cotton can commentate;)
But seriously the editing in that video was amazing! this is what professional video should look like and i can't say enough good things about what having access to a video like this will do for the sport...BRAVO:clap:

Also I agree with a lot of the comments on here about Feldberg. His par 3 comment was oversimplifying a quick point to help laymen have any easy grasp. I think the comparison was spot on for what the video was trying to relay.

Latest posts