• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGA Mach Lite Basket Review (pic heavy)

BJKavanaugh

New guy here. I feel bad lurking and snapping up deals from the marketplace, so I feel obligated to contribute something:

OK, so I'm the proud new owner of a DGA Mach Lite portable basket. I bought it

without ever seeing one in person on the general consensus that it was the

best portable basket available. What stands out as the best feature about this

particular basket is the true 'parabolic chains'. They don't hang straight

down and they are not covered in fabric. This basket is also the same size as

a Mach V basket from what I understand. That too is a plus. This is meant to

help the person (like me) who does not have access to one of these baskets in

person, and would like a little more detail before committing to a purchase.

Captions are UNDER their respective pictures.

DSCN0928.JPG

Here she is ready to be placed into the carry bag. Note the separate pouch for

the stand. This should help to avoid tearing the fabric. The edges are sharp

enough to tear fabric over time (and scratch my hardwood floors). It was a

booger to assemble the first time only, since I clipped the zip ties that

organized the chains during shipping. Subsequent attempts to pop it open have been a breeze...

DSCN0932.JPG

The top is held up by this neat little piece that springs shut when you slide the top open...

DSCN0933.JPG

The underside of the basket is held in place by this clip, which also has a home in the closed position, locking it shut for storage...

DSCN0934.JPG

Finally, the legs and the post attach with whatever those little button things are called.

DSCN0930.JPG

There are 16 chains. 8 inner and 8 outer. The outer chains are connected to the small metal ring in the center, while the outer chains are tied together by a ring of chain under the small metal ring, going through the frame of the basket. The top and bottom fabric (the gray stuff) is like a really thick football jersey type weave. Close ups can be seen in several photos, so I won't post one of it specifically.

continued...

DSCN0937.JPG

Included are practice games, warranty card, instructions, and a DGA sticker. I was going to scan the practice games to .pdf and post them since they don't seem to be copyrighted, but they look lame.

DSCN0929.JPG

It catches well. Maybe too well. Since the rim of the lower basket is fabric, it really catches what normally would be rim outs. If you putt hard but level, blow throughs don't seem to be a problem. You hard hyzer guys might have a problem though.

Overall, this basket seems very well made. It is quite heavy and the parts are pretty substantial. I don't see anything bending or breaking any time soon.

I say it's well worth the price of admission. It retails for 160, but can be snagged for 130 plus a little shipping if you look around.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide more detail to anyone who needs it.

Good review, I love both of my mach lites and the one I've had longer (a little more than a year) has held up well after a ton of use.

that was very detailed, and ive been thinking about getting a basket myself so this is making me wanna get one a little sooner than planned!! oh yeah, nice to see ya posting now!

I have a Mach Lite too and love it. It is by far the best of the portable baskets IMO. I have mine set up in my choir room at school where I teach so I can practice putting in between classes. I can get up to a 40 foot putt. It has generated a lot of interest among my students as well who love trying to hit the basket.

don't waste your time with the skillshot. The MachLite is by far a superior product.

Your mach lite has a plain metal finish......I'm jealous. Mine is painted white and on the pole where the chains hit it is all beat up looking... :(

Your mach lite has a plain metal finish......I'm jealous. Mine is painted white and on the pole where the chains hit it is all beat up looking... :(

My Mach Lite's the same way. I think that the shiny metal finish is newer b/c I've just recently seen them like that.

I've had mine for about 2 years now and it's held up great. I definitely would recommend it over the Skill Shot. They're about the same price, but the catching area on the Skill Shot is much smaller while the Mach Lite is the same size a permanent baskets.

Some might say that having a small target would improve your putting but I think that when a putt would be made or missed on a regulation basket builds more confidence than moving from a smaller to a larger basket.

Here are a couple more details they don't tell you about in the Cliff's Notes...

DSCN0946.jpg

The feet have split rings and an additional hole for securing the base. This thing will not tip over on level ground from a disc hitting it. It's way too solid for that. Wind may be a problem though.

DSCN0931.JPG

This is the little hootis that tightens the rim of the lower basket. A drawstring of sorts. I pulled it a little bit, so maybe the rim won't be as forgiving.

This thread makes me depressed....one of the few things I didn't care for on my Mach Lite was that it was painted instead of just being a plain metal finish...

I still love it.... it is a great basket and hasn't give me problems...I just like the sleek metal look better.

This thread makes me depressed....one of the few things I didn't care for on my Mach Lite was that it was painted instead of just being a plain metal finish...

I still love it.... it is a great basket and hasn't give me problems...I just like the sleek metal look better.

Can you use acetone or paint thinner to remove the paint?....maybe not, just saw the picture you posted. don't know if you could do that and have it look nice:(.

Great review of the basket and nice pictures!

Great review. I too have been in the market for a portable basket or two, and this one is looking better and better.

Mach Lite is a great portable basket. It gets more use in the winter with shorter days and worse weather.

It would be nice though if the feet had little plastic pads on them. I tried to think of where I saw that before and then it hit me, on cymbal stands.

7c05079c4a4cc04004cc9ecfa2c5f5e3.image.342x400.jpg

Latest posts