• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Idlewild Open

:confused:
Is this sarcasm? Because CCDG's production has been stagnant for at least two, if not three, years. Getting as good as CCDG means getting just good enough to do the job, and then sitting on it for a long time. At least in terms of presentation. Maybe they've upgraded equipment, got more cameras, etc. but I can't tell.

Yeah CCDG has gotten better at camera work in that time and the amount of camera shots/cameras has increased. I was not being sarcastic, GK Productions was like most of the 3rd tier production companies last year.

The Other stuff that CCDG has done is not noticeable on the production side as they do want to stand out from Jomez and not copy the stuff like the flight lines and what not. I do wish that CCDG did more with the re-throw as they call it like one per hole or one per every amazing shot not just the best shot per round.

Yeah CCDG has gotten better at camera work in that time and the amount of camera shots/cameras has increased. I was not being sarcastic, GK Productions was like most of the 3rd tier production companies last year.

The Other stuff that CCDG has done is not noticeable on the production side as they do want to stand out from Jomez and not copy the stuff like the flight lines and what not. I do wish that CCDG did more with the re-throw as they call it like one per hole or one per every amazing shot not just the best shot per round.
Not improving the presentation because you don't want to "copy" is silly - when someone innovates you don't ignore it as a competitor if it's good, you follow suit and then build your own twists to improve on it.

Definitely some of my usual gripes... The guys doing commentary today did not provide much of a sense of the moment on the final six holes. They're showing a graphic demonstrating that Calvin is in a heated battle for third, why no word on that? No comment to the tune of James being clear or not of Gurthie on 18 (last we'd been updated on the screen he was at 20 with holes to go). As soon as James's drive trickled into a mediocre spot they immediately told us James would be pitching out - before we'd even seen if Kevin is going to get his drive up the tunnel to position. We know now that Gurthie was at 20 and James was clear. So in the moment it was plausible that James could rip something ridiculous. Until Kevin's drive went pure a minute later.

Some definite weirdness at one point there as well - random scores flashing on the scoreboard for a good 30+ seconds.

Hope GK Pro keeps improving. This weekend was.... Less than I'd expect from CCDG and Jomez. Someone commented earlier that last year they were third tier... If Jomez is on a tier by themselves, which I think they are, GK is still third tier. I don't know what their stuff last year looked like, but this wasn't on par with CCDG, SpinTV... I'm a bit surprised to not see one of the top video teams for this event - but things happen I'm not privy to knowing about, so neat seeing someone new get an opportunity. Hope it drives them to keep getting better.

Has the branch over the tee always been there on 7? Grown bigger? Tee moved back? Just curious - I always had good success pulling a 3 or 4 on that hole (ten years ago) by ripping a lightweight roadrunner hyzer up over the left and letting it just drive down and to the right. I used to get to the right of the fairway (occasionally on the fairway) maybe 75-100 short of the basket with that. It was a frequent pitch out and par and occasional birdie.

Has the branch over the tee always been there on 7? Grown bigger? Tee moved back? Just curious - I always had good success pulling a 3 or 4 on that hole (ten years ago) by ripping a lightweight roadrunner hyzer up over the left and letting it just drive down and to the right. I used to get to the right of the fairway (occasionally on the fairway) maybe 75-100 short of the basket with that. It was a frequent pitch out and par and occasional birdie.

They "adjusted" that tee area some how to try and make people go the intended route. Might be what your seeing.

They "adjusted" that tee area some how to try and make people go the intended route. Might be what your seeing.

Yep, they essentially slid the tee back about 5' to take that shot away. (Previously, Fred had installed some metal bars with fake foliage. Effective, but fugly.)

However, it looks like someone trimmed a hole (maybe 3'x3') right through that the middle of that tree to open that shot back up.

Yep, they essentially slid the tee back about 5' to take that shot away. (Previously, Fred had installed some metal bars with fake foliage. Effective, but fugly.)

However, it looks like someone trimmed a hole (maybe 3'x3') right through that the middle of that tree to open that shot back up.
If you're talking about the KJones route - I'm talking about the reverse. Steep hyzer angle release with a super-flippy 9 speed that'll come all the way over and approach the fairway from the left instead of the right like KJones did.

Probably. I can't tell on video - so I just assumed maybe that branch grew out some and covered it. Its been ten years since I was last at Idlewild so its hard to know if I'm remembering it perfectly.

That's sad... only 3 hours away... I gotta get down there before summer ends.

If you're talking about the KJones route - I'm talking about the reverse. Steep hyzer angle release with a super-flippy 9 speed that'll come all the way over and approach the fairway from the left instead of the right like KJones did.

Ah yes, I misunderstood. Either way, yes, they moved the teepad back about 5-6' which would hinder the shot you're describing.

Ah yes, I misunderstood. Either way, yes, they moved the teepad back about 5-6' which would hinder the shot you're describing.
Its a good move. I liked taking the route, but yeah - it definitely helps the hole taking that away.

Probably. I can't tell on video - so I just assumed maybe that branch grew out some and covered it. Its been ten years since I was last at Idlewild so its hard to know if I'm remembering it perfectly.

That's sad... only 3 hours away... I gotta get down there before summer ends.

I live 45 minutes away and only go there once a year. Weather has to be about perfect for me to play a 3-4 hour round.

I live 45 minutes away and only go there once a year. Weather has to be about perfect for me to play a 3-4 hour round.
If I lived around 45-60 minutes away I'd probably get up there six to ten times per year. If I lived within 20 minutes I'd be there two or three times per week. Notwithstanding the fact that I can play Idlewild in 2 hours easy solo - I just plain enjoy courses like that. I do everything I can to get on the private course near my home whenever I can just so I can loop the Idlewild-like woods.

I'm a bit surprised to not see one of the top video teams for this event - but things happen I'm not privy to knowing about, so neat seeing someone new get an opportunity. Hope it drives them to keep getting better.
Did you miss the whole fiasco when Steve Dodge kicked Jomez and CCDG to the curb from Pro Tour events this year?

Did you miss the whole fiasco when Steve Dodge kicked Jomez and CCDG to the curb from Pro Tour events this year?

But wasn't there another fiasco later on when Dodge brought them back? :confused:

The whole DGPT media "plan" this year has been a turd for me. If it wasnt for Brutus posting links to where to find stuff I might not have watched any DG this year. Way down from years past when it was easy to find and consume. Now it feels like too much effort on my part and I just give up and go play.

But wasn't there another fiasco later on when Dodge brought them back? :confused:
Did Future and I miss something? Jomez was at Waco, CCDG was in San Fran and Michigan, both were in Portland and Illinois...

The whole DGPT media "plan" this year has been a turd for me. If it wasnt for Brutus posting links to where to find stuff I might not have watched any DG this year. Way down from years past when it was easy to find and consume. Now it feels like too much effort on my part and I just give up and go play.
I don't necessarily agree with this... the only "effort" I'm putting in this year... is... well.. no more than previous years. I've always just waited until the next day and then did a search for, say, "2019 Idlewild Open disc golf" on the YouTube search bar. That strategy seems to be working exactly as well as it did in previous years. I'd say Steve Dodge's plans have been entirely irrelevant to me accessing disc golf, except when he made it harder for the production companies to actually put it out.

Did Future and I miss something? Jomez was at Waco, CCDG was in San Fran and Michigan, both were in Portland and Illinois...

DGPT did not "kick Jomez and CCDG to the curb". They announced their media plan was to take the lead card coverage (post and live) in-house, and Jomez and CCDG CHOSE not to settle for doing 2nd/3rd card coverage. Then DGPT changed their mind a few events into the season and opened up lead card coverage to outside media groups. However, in a lot of cases, Jomez and/or CCDG made alternate plans with their schedules meaning that when the door was re-opened, they were already committed elsewhere for some events, like this one.

It wasn't just them. Even though Smashboxx was brought back in to do the live stream, Terry was committed to covering other events so he missed Jonesboro and at least one other event (SF maybe?). I'm pretty sure JVD was committed elsewhere as well for an event, resulting in some other person doing the switching (terribly and absent all graphics, as I recall).

They had a sinkhole forming under that pad and had to do some work to fill it iirc(they had put some riprap in it but it was still getting worse). Since they already had to move the pad they decided to make the tee shot a bit harder and move it back.

That branch has been there as long as I remember but wasn't really in play as much with the tee farther up. They should make that tree a mando, imo. There is risk going for the over the top shot but most of the guys who try it have plenty of arm to get over the top and passed the OB.

Last edited:
DGPT did not "kick Jomez and CCDG to the curb". They announced their media plan was to take the lead card coverage (post and live) in-house, and Jomez and CCDG CHOSE not to settle for doing 2nd/3rd card coverage. Then DGPT changed their mind a few events into the season and opened up lead card coverage to outside media groups. However, in a lot of cases, Jomez and/or CCDG made alternate plans with their schedules meaning that when the door was re-opened, they were already committed elsewhere for some events, like this one.

It wasn't just them. Even though Smashboxx was brought back in to do the live stream, Terry was committed to covering other events so he missed Jonesboro and at least one other event (SF maybe?). I'm pretty sure JVD was committed elsewhere as well for an event, resulting in some other person doing the switching (terribly and absent all graphics, as I recall).

This is true. It was Waco I wasn't able to work this year.

If this season has taught me one thing (that I mostly already knew) it is that you can't make everyone happy. We used to complain that we needed MORE coverage of events & now I hear some people complain that there are too many production companies to follow where all the footage is. They have to seek it out and find it. Yet it seems like some don't actually put in the effort, as most of the videos or links and schedule can be found at DGPT.com/watch and it told everyone where to find the footage for the DGPT.