• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs

Putting was the difference. Paul's putting was on, so he won. If he can keep that going, he's going to be tough to beat.

I keep waiting for Ricky's putter to come back. There were couple putts today he missed that Rick of 2-3 years ago would have drained. He's still very good, but hasn't been best putter in the world good lately.

"Paul basically just said ricky choked in the post round interview..."

I don't think Paul was saying Ricky choked, just that he gave away a shot when he should have birdied. I think the "Ricky's a choker" storyline died when he won two consecutive world championships.

We can say that Discraft is better than Innova now, just a few months for a -18 round and already good tournament results!

Please tell me I'm a good troll, I need approbation!

Putting was the difference. Paul's putting was on, so he won. If he can keep that going, he's going to be tough to beat.

I keep waiting for Ricky's putter to come back. There were couple putts today he missed that Rick of 2-3 years ago would have drained. He's still very good, but hasn't been best putter in the world good lately.

agreed...

putting comes and goes for everyone. regardless of the putter they are using. i think Paul may have had too much on his plate over the off season to be as focused as we are used to. this tournament may just be the start of Paul returning to the "for me,it's my job" mentality.

Last edited:
Hole performances. No bad holes here; none with correlations going the wrong way, and none with scoring spreads less than 2. (More up and right is more "good".)

attachment.php

Too bad the inflated pars on holes #2, #7, #9, #12, #16, and #18 are a smear on the course's reputation.

Of course, changing pars on those holes was probably too difficult. That would have been almost as hard as changing hole numbers.

Attachments

• WACOHoles.png
    WACOHoles.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 365
How can anyone at all be okay with this coverage or even give the money the benefit of the doubt? This is embarrassing for everything Steve Dodge promised and feels like a money ploy by him instead of hiring people who know what they are doing. This is one of those instances where the PDGA need to step in and say "look, we appreciate what you've done and been trying to do by we're going to go in a different direction." They are not following the discs at all and are zooming in on people and not shots. I can't even begin to count how many times I've looked at the lead cards a** instead of their putt at the basket because of shoddy camera work. Such an embarrassment this has become. Free or not

I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge Central Coast and Jomez fan, I've been watching Ian's stuff since it first came out and loved every bit. I've been watching live since the first USDGC broadcasts. I was very upset to see those guys get booted for this season.

I watched the Live Coverage for the first time from hole 10 onwards last night (I had watched some of the post produced stuff after the last one) I would say it was the best Live Coverage I've seen. I was on the edge of my seat at times, there was a genuine butterflies in the stomach moment when Paul went to take the 10 meter putt on hole 17 which basically secured the win. I've never been quite as engaged with a live Disc Golf broadcast as I was then. There was drama, excitement, tension. Commentary was good, I liked Jeff Spring's low whispery take, it felt very golf commentary to me, Nate was good on colour (although if I hear the word competitors just one more time....)

The picture quality was great, I liked the cuts to the chase cards in the walk times, most of the jumps from camera to camera were pretty good (there were one or two very apparent fails, but nothing unwatchable) Chucking in some quality adverts to the downtimes would be a good addition.

Did I lose the track of the disc at times? Yes, but in general it seemed better than any other live I've seen. Sometimes the positions taken on the green weren't great, definitely room for improvement there where the putt couldn't be seen blocked by the player.

As a side note I was impressed by the crowd marshalling throughout, they were kept under control even with a gallery following Chase and lead. To keep them off the peninsula on 17 added a real tension to that walk down there.

Generally very impressed with the coverage altogether.

Does anyone know how Waco is a charity event, or what orhankzation proceeds go to? I've tried looking it up to understand the rules for running a sanctioned charity event while still abiding by PDGA payouts, but I can't find any mentions of the charitable aspect anywhere.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge Central Coast and Jomez fan, I've been watching Ian's stuff since it first came out and loved every bit. I've been watching live since the first USDGC broadcasts. I was very upset to see those guys get booted for this season.

I watched the Live Coverage for the first time from hole 10 onwards last night (I had watched some of the post produced stuff after the last one) I would say it was the best Live Coverage I've seen. I was on the edge of my seat at times, there was a genuine butterflies in the stomach moment when Paul went to take the 10 meter putt on hole 17 which basically secured the win. I've never been quite as engaged with a live Disc Golf broadcast as I was then. There was drama, excitement, tension. Commentary was good, I liked Jeff Spring's low whispery take, it felt very golf commentary to me, Nate was good on colour (although if I hear the word competitors just one more time....)

The picture quality was great, I liked the cuts to the chase cards in the walk times, most of the jumps from camera to camera were pretty good (there were one or two very apparent fails, but nothing unwatchable) Chucking in some quality adverts to the downtimes would be a good addition.

Did I lose the track of the disc at times? Yes, but in general it seemed better than any other live I've seen. Sometimes the positions taken on the green weren't great, definitely room for improvement there where the putt couldn't be seen blocked by the player.

As a side note I was impressed by the crowd marshalling throughout, they were kept under control even with a gallery following Chase and lead. To keep them off the peninsula on 17 added a real tension to that walk down there.

Generally very impressed with the coverage altogether.

The live coverage this weekend was passable. They've gotten better tournament to tournament, round to round. Decent production overall. Having a high drama final rd helped quite a bit. Picture quality is at least as good as anything else we've been offered live. Commentary was good. I like Nate and Val, but splitting them up and throwing play by play Jeff Spring I'm there was a smart move. Two 4 hour rounds for both Nate and Val was too much.

Still some bad use of zoom, poor tracking of shots, and bad positioning on the green to film putts. Poor Nate (and the audience) not knowing if Paul's drive was in bounds on 15 because the catch cam was nowhere in sight is inexcusable. On one Rick's putts Nate's commentary was "looking at Ricky's body language, it looks lik he missed that putt." They need to work that stuff out. The technology to produce goods live coverage is there. DGPT has the raw materials, just hadn't yet obtained the experience and skill to execute cleanly.

Did they not have paying advertisers, or were they just struggling with technology when trying to cut to commercial? DGPT media doesn't seem to be producing much revenue yet...

DGPT giving up on trying to be next day for post feels like a step towards giving up on post entrirely, which is what they need to do. If they can't get it out next day or close to it, then I'm not going to watch it. It's not worth avoiding the disc golf Internet to avoid spoilers for any longer than that.

I'd love to see DGPT reallocate the resources they're putting towards meh post production to making the live coverage even better. Let the good crews handle the post. Pride and money are preventing that move.

i am a huge fan of CCDG commentary style but Nate Doss had me almost in tears with his "no punches pulled" style over this weekend. i would love to have hear them together on a major.

Ian: i don't think that was what he was looking for there and will leave himself a tester.

Nate: that was a TERRIBLE shot and now he's off in the bushes with his competitor laying only 8 ft from the pin with a slight tailwind and no way to miss the putt. he could have just lost the tournament because he has a lot of foliage in the way, a headwind and don't forget this is uphill much more than the camera shows with the sun directly in his face. we'll just have to see if he turns this potential birdie into a bogey or worse and don't forget he did double bogey this last year.

Ian: wow, that was a quality putt. now on to hole 2 Nate, tell us about it.

Was that a Kong that McBeth threw on 18 during the 2nd round?

Since Discraft came out with the Raptor / maybe a knock on Wysocki?

Innova should name a disc the Goat / knock on McBeth.

Performance tracks for the top ten rated and top ten finishing FPO and MPO.

The line starts at the expected score for someone of their rating - before any holes have been played. When it goes up, they are playing better than their rating on that hole. When it goes down, they are playing worse. All lines end at their actual score on the right.

Where two lines cross, those players would be expected to end in a tie if they both played at their own rating for the remainder of the tournament.

For example, after hole 30 Paige B.'s 3-throw lead was enough to equal the expected 3-throws better that the higher-rate Catrina would expect to score over the last 24 holes.

While Paige B. played right around her rating for the remainder of the tournament, Catrina won because she played better than her rating the last 24 holes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WACO2019PTs.jpg
    WACO2019PTs.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 224