• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Live Coverage Will Be Paywalled

It always blows my mind how cheap disc golfers can be.

$300 bag, with $600 worth of discs in it? No problem. $5 a month to watch live disc golf? OMGWTF (maybe not so much on this board, but the overall interwebz reaction)

It could be free but I am still not watching live. I have better uses for my free time, like going out and enjoying a round or a tournament.

They also were overwhelmed by the cell service data being overloaded by everyone at the tournament using their phones.

We only had to make that announcement like 5 times. Tracked down a few guys who were live-streaming to their own facebook pages, told everyone to quit uploading videos, told everyone to quit uploading photos, told everyone to quit uploading anything. Eventually got the point across.

I feel like this question is purposely not being answered. But Im on your side. Id guess they will have ads too which if they do its an even easier choice to not purchase.

I'd rather watch a few ads than see the camera bouncing down the fairway or looking at Jamie's mug for a couple of minutes on every hole.

Personal opinions and stuff, though...

I will hold out for a PGA quality product, which is free BTW.

PGA events are NOT free. Spectators pay sometimes exorbitant prices for tickets. Ad space is highly sought after and is seen in commercials and random places on the course. And you're paying for it when you watch it on cable. Just not directly. Everyone who watches is paying.

Disc golf on TV, just like ball golf on TV, is a product. It takes money to get any product to customers, and if a profit is not made it will simply go away. Whether or not that money comes from sponsors, advertisers, customers, or any combination of the three is yet to be seen. But the sponsors and advertisers are looking to make money as well. If they aren't getting it, away it goes. And each customer decides what is and isn't a good value.

This is simply someone starting a new business.

PGA events are NOT free. Spectators pay sometimes exorbitant prices for tickets. Ad space is highly sought after and is seen in commercials and random places on the course. And you're paying for it when you watch it on cable. Just not directly. Everyone who watches is paying.

Disc golf on TV, just like ball golf on TV, is a product. It takes money to get any product to customers, and if a profit is not made it will simply go away. Whether or not that money comes from sponsors, advertisers, customers, or any combination of the three is yet to be seen. But the sponsors and advertisers are looking to make money as well. If they aren't getting it, away it goes. And each customer decides what is and isn't a good value.

This is simply someone starting a new business.

I am not an advertiser, nor a spectator at the event. I am a guy that might want to watch a PGA event. Most are available over network airwaves television for no cost. I never said there was not a cost to providing such a service, but that is not the consumer's problem. I understand the business model employed by DGPT.

I am not an advertiser, nor a spectator at the event. I am a guy that might want to watch a PGA event. Most are available over network airwaves television for no cost. I never said there was not a cost to providing such a service, but that is not the consumer's problem. I understand the business model employed by DGPT.

That's fair. I wasn't thinking about over the air channels. The "cost for providing a product" bit was more for the thread in general, not you specifically. My bad, should've separated it.

We only had to make that announcement like 5 times. Tracked down a few guys who were live-streaming to their own facebook pages, told everyone to quit uploading videos, told everyone to quit uploading photos, told everyone to quit uploading anything. Eventually got the point across.

This is laughable if this really fixed the issue.

This is laughable if this really fixed the issue.

Camera -> line of sight laser or something to van -> cell signal to booth -> wifi to router -> upload to internet over university broadband connection

A few thousand people can swamp a cell signal enough to make the video choppy or pixelated. Happens quite a bit.

is it being cheap or is the "media coverage" putting the carriage before the horses

We have seen what cheap/free coverage gets us. It's not getting any better without more money, and people have been clamoring for better coverage.

People who weren't interested in live coverage in the first place aren't the target demo.

Also, the guy who said PGA coverage is free. Holy cow are you naive. Millions in sponsorships, o. site ticket sales that are sometimes hundreds of dollars each, on site concessions...and you think because it's over the air on TV that it's free.....lol. Find that kind of sponsorship money and then we won't have to contribute

Last edited:
Camera -> line of sight laser or something to van -> cell signal to booth -> wifi to router -> upload to internet over university broadband connection

A few thousand people can swamp a cell signal enough to make the video choppy or pixelated. Happens quite a bit.

Using your tech lineage above(guessing it's not how it really was, but for this example let's say it is), I'd say it's a deficiency in infrastructure at that point.

It always blows my mind how cheap disc golfers can be.

$300 bag, with $600 worth of discs in it? No problem. $5 a month to watch live disc golf? OMGWTF (maybe not so much on this board, but the overall interwebz reaction)

If a disc is around $20, who actually carries 30 discs?

We have seen what cheap/free coverage gets us. It's not getting any better without more money, and people have been clamoring for better coverage.

People who weren't interested in live coverage in the first place aren't the target demo.

Also, the guy who said PGA coverage is free. Holy cow are you naive. Millions in sponsorships, o. site ticket sales that are sometimes hundreds of dollars each, on site concessions...and you think because it's over the air on TV that it's free.....lol. Find that kind of sponsorship money and then we won't have to contribute

In theory, he's right in that the coverage is free for him since he's at home watching it. It's the perceived notion that if it's not coming out of my own pocket to pay for it, then it must be free. This is an all too common stance in the dg community. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in alignment with what you're saying about the money behind the scenes that is paid in by marketing, sponsorship, etc. There's big money in ball golf...disc golf...not so much. So unfortunately we have to make due with lower level solutions.

And even though I posted about an issue with infrastructure to ToddL, I do understand and will concede that we can't always have the best solution presented. So my apologies on the laughable post ToddL.

Myself, I have no issues paying $5/mo. or whatever it is to be able to watch the live coverage. Like another person posted earlier, I spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on this sport year over year. So $5 is really just a drop in the bucket.

I will repeat. I did not state that putting the production together was free. I am well versed in the business model.

I stated that I do not pay for watching the Masters. It is available to ME, as the consumer, over the airwaves, free of cost.

Hustling for sponsors, ticket sales and concessions is the problem of the PGA, venue, production company....

I have no interest in participating in that venture. I will continue to work very hard to "grow the sport" in my area. Leagues, tournaments, course maintenance, new course installation, college team sponsorship.....:D

The problem isn't with the people who are using their phones. The problem is with infrastructure or the lack thereof. Having to ask people not to use their phones is similar to having to collect people's pocket change to build the purse.

Was "no cell phone usage" part of the player or spectator packages?

The problem isn't with the people who are using their phones. The problem is with infrastructure or the lack thereof. Having to ask people not to use their phones is similar to having to collect people's pocket change to build the purse.

Was "no cell phone usage" part of the player or spectator packages?

Until we can afford to run cables all over the course, extend wifi all over the course, or rent satellite trucks (though I guess we'd still have to get the signal back to the satellite truck through cables or wifi), we're stuck with cellular. And until we can convince Bud Light to pony up a million dollar sponsorship, we'll have serious problems paying for better solutions.
And while we're stuck on cellular, we kindly request that you please refrain from bogging down the signal.

Well... one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, were the rumors that Nate and Val would be playing some this year and how this would effect that. They haven't renewed yet, but Val is signed up for a Bend WGE event.

Until we can afford to run cables all over the course, extend wifi all over the course, or rent satellite trucks (though I guess we'd still have to get the signal back to the satellite truck through cables or wifi), we're stuck with cellular. And until we can convince Bud Light to pony up a million dollar sponsorship, we'll have serious problems paying for better solutions.
And while we're stuck on cellular, we kindly request that you please refrain from bogging down the signal.

IMO while we're stuck on cellular live coverage is putting the cart before the horse... and unless the players and spectators were told in advance they can't use the most ubiquitous piece of technology in the world and agreed to it somehow organizers/media have no business expecting them not to.

This has to be a pretty hard sell. Telling folk today, that they need to limit their cell phone use, seems like a BIG ask. Please don't use your phone, so I may have the opportunity to run my business? Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Most users of cell phones that I see, absolutely see their use as a given right and freedom.

*disclaimer....I don't own a cell phone. I would be more than happy to oblige, if I did. I just don't know how many people would think it was OK to ask.