• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Portland Open

Wysocki/Buhr on MPO
Gannon/Handley for FPO

Don't know if rain is in the forecast but probably 1 or more rounds affected by it over the weekend like past years.

Course is very picturesque and holes make pretty good use of the elevation and trees/rough that line the golf fairways. Some painted/flagged/staked OB and a number of mandatories throughout make it hard to follow some of the longer holes.

I remember Gurthie and Redalen both crushing some long distance fairway shots around but couldn't tell you which course/holes they were on.

Rain is forecast for Sunday right now.

Ohn will probably be on top after this first round. Good to see Paige Pierce back in the mix.

Paige Pierce on the lead card for Saturday!
She doesn't look like she did 5 years ago, but she is playing a lot better than she has lately.
Incredible round by Sofia Donnecke putting her in a tie for the lead. This is her 2nd pro tour event. It's great to see a new face doing well. Let's see how she plays with the spotlight on her. (hopefully good!)

Having a hard time getting interested in this one. These golf course layouts just don't do it for me.

People are always knocking a course like Eureka, but I'll take it any day over these last two. There, I know what a good shot looks like without commentary and can remember the look of most of the holes. Here, it's just a repetitive blur.

Looking forward to Beaver State Fling.

Having a hard time getting interested in this one. These golf course layouts just don't do it for me.

People are always knocking a course like Eureka, but I'll take it any day over these last two. There, I know what a good shot looks like without commentary and can remember the look of most of the holes. Here, it's just a repetitive blur.

Looking forward to Beaver State Fling.
Yep. While the trees on this course are so massive and majestic many of the holes look the same and there isn't much shot variety.

While I agree on the golf courses in general I disagree on Glendoveer in particular. There is a lot of line shaping needed and the OB is (for the most part) not ridiculous. The stakes on the OB are also easy to see relative to the OB marking many other places. It does still suffer at times from the inability of viewers to tell exactly where shots are intended to go but I am starting to see that as more of a coverage thing than a course thing. Also regarding coverage- Jerm is sooooo much better than the other live "color" guys. He does talk a little too much but there is a lot more substance and a lot less hyperbole.

Yep. While the trees on this course are so massive and majestic many of the holes look the same and there isn't much shot variety.
After watching most of round 3 I would say there is a lot of shot variety. Many of the tee shots and approach shots require an gap hits.
While some holes only have 10-15 trees, the trees are gigantic.
Beautiful setting, but not my preference for a disc golf course.

I don't think it's a bad course by any means- it's a course I think I'd enjoy playing from shorter tees. But it doesn't present well on video. Drone shots would help alot, but I think the giant trees limit what can be done with them here.

Also, the leader having this on absolute lockdown doesn't help. Difference between 1st and 2nd place...10 strokes. Difference between 2nd and 36th place...10 strokes.

After watching most of round 3 I would say there is a lot of shot variety. Many of the tee shots and approach shots require an gap hits.
While some holes only have 10-15 trees, the trees are gigantic.
Beautiful setting, but not my preference for a disc golf course.
I think we agree that the course looks better than it plays. There's just something about those mature trees, and neatly groomed fairways that gives it a lot of eye appeal, and combo of distance, OB, and hazards gives it some teeth.

I prefer a true disc golf course, that's primarily wooded, with enough lightly wooded holes to create balance, and some opportunities for longer throwers to gain a few strokes.

I'd enjoy playing this course a few times, but wouldn't play it frequently, even if I could.

Then again, that could be my noodle arm bias speaking.🤭

i see Holyn Handley figured out how to turn it on for the last round. she has made it on my fav list in FPO.
She has good final rounds when she is well behind, but not so much when she is in the lead or even in the hunt.
If she figures out how to play from the lead she will be a consistant winner.

Gotta love Paige's provisional on #12.
Great stuff, regardless whether it counts or not!

I saw the trophy presentation to GB, looked like a pretty big crowd to hang around for that ... in the rain and after MPO had already been decided, probably on Friday.