• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dick's / Meijer Conspiracy Theory, Plus Help Choose Best Innova Discs

Earic02

Par Member
Conspiracy theory says that Innova pawns off all their junk / old discs (see cut list below) on retail stores, as they are an easy way to get rid of LOTS of Grooves and Daedeluses. This may also be the retailers getting "good deals" on bulk junk. (Meier is famous for lots of FLAT fly dyed discs, very rare you find medium dome, GOOD discs.)

You would think this would work well for Innova, an outlet for their junk, but no one buys these discs, SO... my suggestion is to put together a list of favorites - discs we would all buy, discs - that - are - worth - shelf - space - and will actually SELL, not just collect dust for years and years (literally!).

Please help me out and give your favorite Innova discs you would like to see more of, and MAYBE someone in purchasing at some of these stores might pay attention and stop ordering so many Bosses and order some more Wraiths for me to flip through and not walk out of the store disappointed more than half the time.

Three lists: Keep, Cut, Add.

Any discs you're indifferent to, don't list. Colts for instance, I'm ok with Colts (never thrown) but we gotta stop with Daedeluses.

Note that Cut doesn't necessarily mean discontinue, it just means order 2 Daedeluses instead of 7 since YOU'RE DISPLACING GOOD DISCS.. (Please!)

Thanks!

Stay / Keep:
Destroyer (Star PMBs have been nice lately!)
Wraith
Firebird
Teebird
Aviar
Roc3 / Roc
Star and GStar plastic in all above

Add / More:
Nova
KC Pro Aviar
Paul McBeth Aviar
Roc3X
Shryke

Cut / Stop:
Groove
Daedalus
Boss
Katana

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Quick edit: I know, I know, casuals will buy anything, but someone like me who's good for a disc every couple weeks / collecting / stockpiling favorites, that's who's getting cheated. Is "cheated" too harsh? Maybe, but my point is that discs would sell much better if the mix was right..

Also, I just want to buy a Star Wraith sometimes and have no use for Bosses / Katanas / Grooves / Daedeluses.

Keep: Tern, TL, Mako3, Panther (of course)
Add: Nova, McPro Aviar, Roc3
Cut: Groove, Monarch

The margin is so low for a disc that it wouldn't be worth it for a buyer to handpick the assortment. I would consider discs for company like Dicks supplemental to the overall strategy. Sure, you will drive in a customer base who play disc golf, but mainly you are hoping while in store they buy something more room for profit like sports equipment etc.

Last edited:
I personally prefer that big box stores get the cast offs right now. It is still a super niche sport and until it grows more, I would like people to have to go to a more dedicated disc golf store (or at least one where employees know what it is). I am in no hurry to have Walmart and Dicks be the only place I can buy my discs. Support the people that support the sport you love, whether that is a local disc golf store, sellers at your local course, a Play It Again or the like, or even an online disc golf retailer. Having really good discs in big boxes will only happen after the sport is much bigger and more popular.

champ daedalus is an awesome disc, anyone who whines that it's too flippy but can't put 450+ on a destroyer needs to learn to throw with more hyzer or less OAT.

Talking to the owner of the local shop, he said this is the worst year that he has seen for popular Innova molds being out of stock when it's time for them to order. He had a long list of discs that weren't available in various premium plastics in the upper weight ranges.

I think the last thing we need is big box stores siphoning off even more of the supply than they already do. Let them have the Grooves, Monarchs, DX Wolves, and whatever other junk most of us don't want.

I've never understood the Firebird love. Basically useless for my game.

I put a Sexton Firebird into my bag. I don't use it a lot. Can't throw it for any kind of distance, but it's okay for me into a headwind for a utility-type shot, such as throwing around trees needing a big fade and maybe a good skip, as well. I might try it for a forehand roller if they ever cut the grass on my home course (right now one needs hiking boots in that tall grass).

"Upon further review"... the big box stores should sell starter packs, and maybe some putters.

I'm going to have to agree with Hampstead above. I would rather see all the junk molds left to the big box stores, and see people support their local disc golf stores. Now, if there aren't any disc golf stores local to you, then I can definitely see wanting to see some better molds carried. I would rather order online, and support an actual disc golf business, but I can also see the need and appeal to go grab a disc on the spot, or be able to feel them before you buy.

I've never understood the Firebird love. Basically useless for my game.

I recently started throwing this year's sexton FB. From what I hear/read, it's a more mellow FB, as I've never thrown a stock, regular old FB. But what I've found the sexybird allows me to do is make mindless birdies on 275-300' BH hyzer holes. Just rip it out flat and wide and let it work in the circle. It's also great in headwinds, great at controlling distance, and great at spike hyzers. Just a superbly reliable/predictable disc. You may have something similar to this in your bag but I'm using mine much more than I anticipated.

I recently started throwing this year's sexton FB. From what I hear/read, it's a more mellow FB, as I've never thrown a stock, regular old FB. But what I've found the sexybird allows me to do is make mindless birdies on 275-300' BH hyzer holes. Just rip it out flat and wide and let it work in the circle. It's also great in headwinds, great at controlling distance, and great at spike hyzers. Just a superbly reliable/predictable disc. You may have something similar to this in your bag but I'm using mine much more than I anticipated.

Same exact case for me. Never threw or bagged a firebird until this years Sextons. Nowhere near as overstable as I was expecting. They feel great, go decently far, or way farther than I was expecting, and always have reliable fade. Probably honestly not much different than a beefy star thunderbird, but love the way the softer champ glow plastic feels.

Talking to the owner of the local shop, he said this is the worst year that he has seen for popular Innova molds being out of stock when it's time for them to order. He had a long list of discs that weren't available in various premium plastics in the upper weight ranges.

I think the last thing we need is big box stores siphoning off even more of the supply than they already do. Let them have the Grooves, Monarchs, DX Wolves, and whatever other junk most of us don't want.

Agreed, although I do feel sorry for people who have no local disc golf retailers and big box stores are their only way to feel up a disc before buying. I kind of wonder if more of the runs of some popular molds are getting made for Tour Series discs, which is cutting into the supply of regular runs heading to retailers. The tour series seem more popular than ever, and they're nearly all popular molds: Destroyers, Teebirds, Thunderbirds, Firebirds, Aviars, Roc3s, Terns, etc.

In terms of Firebirds, I bag a 2016 Sexton. I threw a PFN Star back in the day as well although I went for a couple years without one in the bag. It is definitely a utility disc for me. It doesn't get thrown at every course I play but for some holes there is nothing else I would want to throw. Anything between 250 and 300 where I need to go straight and then have a very strong left finish, especially with a low ceiling, is going to bring out the Firebird. No risk of it going long and I can depend on a big fade (and a skip if the ground permits). If I have a straighter line, more headroom, or less of a hyzer, then I'd prefer to throw a mid, but there are holes where nothing is better than my Firebird.

Latest posts