• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dick's / Meijer Conspiracy Theory, Plus Help Choose Best Innova Discs

Someone sounds a little jealous.

Frustrated is the proper word, because I volunteer help for them. They give it one go, and then give it up. I try to explain that it's not going to just happen in one afternoon. I explain how many times I went to a soccer field so I would not be embarrassed on the course. They still give up. Not all, but way too many.

Jealous of the approach Boss? Bwahahaha.

Frustrated is the proper word, because I volunteer help for them. They give it one go, and then give it up. I try to explain that it's not going to just happen in one afternoon. I explain how many times I went to a soccer field so I would not be embarrassed on the course. They still give up. Not all, but way too many.

My apologies, I quoted the wrong post.

I meant to quote your "non-conforming throw" comment.

That sounds like someone who is jealous of a strong FH game.

As for the noobs, well, noobs gonna noob.

Well I don't know, maybe the areas we are in are just different. I play a 9 hole park course near my work during my lunch break somewhat regularly because it's close. Most of the players I see there are either fairly new or just chuckers, and almost all of them throw backhand. I think it's because most people think about throwing frisbees growing up which are thrown primarily backhand. There's easily 4+ backhand throwers for every forehand thrower I see there. Most of the new players I've talked to who throw forehand seem to have a baseball background.

I would think there's a little input from both sides. At some point during a sales meeting there was probably a reference to a couple of new molds that were the longest flying discs at the time. "Ok yeah we want a bunch of those". Somebody like a Dicks or Academy also sells ball golf gear...they already know people come in looking for the newest and longest stuff...either clubs or balls. They're going after the people who think that will make them better.

^I agree that new players will buy what looks cool, etc. I think after the fact though, new FH players would be more likely to continue throwing a Boss. A newer BH player will get the n00b hyzers, potentially see someone throw a straight midrange or fairway on the course, then wonder what is wrong with their disc since they can't get it over 115' and a divebomb. Comparatively, a newer FH player will just add torque and anny and try to kill that Boss. It feels way more natural to throw a flex FH than a flex BH for someone new to disc golf. I used to think negatively of FH's because I would only see terrible players using them terribly. Now I throw them a ton.

I would like to know though how these discs are chosen to go to the big stores. Certainly new players shouldn't be throwing Bosses and Grooves, yet that's what they stock.

I get it, I was one of those FH newb chuck monsters. Could torque flex a FH 400+ before I could grow a BH much over 250 with any disc.

It's got the be murder to watch, but I did the soccer field grind for 3 years and you are honestly doing the right thing trying to teach them. Having both FH and BH in your bag is fantastic.

Where on earth is the forehand hate coming from?

It's easy distance! (but only for some...)

I met a guy recently who had a flag dyed (champ equivalent) Enforcer for $7 because it was on the wrong shelf at Academy. He was trying both backhand and forehand throws, but it's not surprising that only forehand was getting him anywhere. He was an athletic guy with a baseball/football background. But that's where the hate comes from. It's not fair that random athletic dude can come out and throw well over 300' without any practice, while others can't!

I apologize for the thread diversion. Personally, I was just a bit jealous that he picked up the disc on the cheap for such a nonsensical reason...

The local Walmart carries only R pro, pro and dx. Wide range of molds so you could build a decent bag. Only problem is the lower end plastic. What's interesting is the discs come in prepackaged boxes that turn into a little display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk