• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Different throwing styles

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What are the main differences which top level players show in their throws yet which make for different "styles" of throws?

You don't really hear much as to what kind of thrower someone is in DG like you do in other sports in regards to their style of play. I am not talking about FH vs BH but rather how we can develop names for different styles of disc golfers.

Avery Jenkins/David Wigins/GG
Feldberg/Climo/Reading
McBeth/Barry S/Doss

are examples of players which I would say have similar styles of mechanics and not exact of course every player is unique but how would you categorize such payers in style of throwing?

Would like to narrow it down to 3 different types of "throwers" such as power/finesse/abc?

Isn't the "Euro pull" a lot lower (around the waistline as opposed to the shoulders)? If so that needs to be a category as well:)

those are the things id like to hash out. euro style-- feldy hop/kick

lets get them generalized and defined.

What I gathered from all my lurking and sifting through threads in my search this summer is that euro style is essentially using your arm like a trebuchet whereas most of us use our arm like a whip. The euro style creates a lower pull through point with a pretty big shojlder drop resulting in more natural hyzer on the throw. There is a bit of a hybrid as well, someone called it the Carolina style, but I think that's just nitpicking variations on a theme, ie how much your elbow is bent, etc. For instance, mike c. Uses his arm like a trebuchet, not a lot of whip, but keeps it bent. Then you have bent elbow technique vs. Full extension, the "hop" vs the Paul Mcbeth style true x-step. There are so many variations of each part of the throw that it is very hard to classify.

Euro Style in general, though, boils down to that shoulder and elbow, getting over the disc and letting the leverage of your body and arm do the rest. Are you catapulting or are you whipping? That's the main difference I have gleaned through reading.

Last edited:
I have a hard time putting a name of style of throw on a regional area.. specially when it comes from an American' but agree with the post'

Would people agree there are power and finesse throwers?

Here's some info from Blake T over at DGR (someone who has done a lot of work studying and teaching form)

the two primary styles (i'm making these terms up right now):
1. "American" technique.
2. "Swedish" technique.

the main difference between these two styles is the focus of the power base. american technique uses the kinetic biomechanics to generate its power, with the ideal being elbow extension. swedish technique uses much less elbow extension but tons of leverage on the outer edge of the disc.

Brad W.'s idea of throwing a stick/hammer vs. throwing a disc pretty much describes the primary determinant of swedish power. swedish power is based upon being able to lever the shiz out of the edge of the disc opposite the hand and find a way to translate the absurd amount of angular velocity/acceleration as the disc pivots out of the hand during wrist extension.

the current swedish technique derives heavily from Tomas Ekstrom's form.

american technique also uses leverage, but it is not dominated by leverage in the same way.
american technique can basically be broken down into 2 primary categories and one subcategory:
1. bent elbow (and derivations of it, probably most commonly found in carolina)
2. long reach back.
2a. folded shoulder rotation.
2b. spinal axis rotation.

2a. and 2b. both derive power in the same basic way, but the presentation of it differs slightly. however, most folded shoulder throwers are hyzer dominant and most spinal axis throwers are anhyzer dominant. in truth, pure hyzer mechanics use a folded shoulder and pure anhyzer mechanics use a spinal axis, what makes these two differ enough in styles to be noted is how they throw during a FLAT throw.

as for bent elbow vs. reach back, it's probably best compared to the differences in a wrist shot vs. a slap shot in hockey.

bent elbow throwing is efficient and it's easier to hit all of it. if you flub it, you flub it bad.
reach back throwing is less efficient but has greater power potential if you hit all/most of it. it's easier to flub it, but the diminished output during flubs depends on how bad you flubbed it.

the big thing is that long throwing bent elbow throwers and long throwing reach back throwers (as well as long throwing swedes) have more in common during the important parts of throw than they have differences.

the main differentiation between reach back throwers and bent elbow throwers (even those that use some reach back) is this:
-with a reach back throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest collapses at the start of rotation and extends entering the power zone.
-with a bent elbow throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest is constant at the start of rotation and doesn't extend until well into the power zone.

my point in writing all that?

what happens with the disc/arm during the final 12" of the throw is exactly the same for everyone throwing 500'.

So yeah, the names of the styles were made up by an American, but if you want to have an intelligent conversation about it that's how everyone who is going to share useful info with you is going to refer to them.

I have a hard time putting a name of style of throw on a regional area.. specially when it comes from an American' but agree with the post'

Would people agree there are power and finesse throwers?

Certainly. It gets iffy though because some power throwers may have a good finesse game when necessary, but that isn't their true throwing/playing style. It's very much semantics related.

Euro Style in general, though, boils down to that shoulder and elbow, getting over the disc and letting the leverage of your body and arm do the rest. Are you catapulting or are you whipping? That's the main difference I have gleaned through reading.

I catatrebuchet:cool:

EDIT: @mashnut - Swedish, I was way off!

Here's some info from Blake T over at DGR (someone who has done a lot of work studying and teaching form)

So yeah, the names of the styles were made up by an American, but if you want to have an intelligent conversation about it that's how everyone who is going to share useful info with you is going to refer to them.

this is where I got the idea for the thread. While I love a lot of what blake has done it is not the clearest or most soundly written stuff out there.

I do notice a difference to an extent but not where it could be called euro style IMO-- that doesn't mean anything nor does American....

Last edited:
Most use a combination of styles. Here's some Swedish:

My main point was how would you categorize throwers like Will S vs Avery J? clearly two different styles even from grip to shoulder turn.. I feel like a lot of new players are looking for that "style" or technique (I know I was) which will help their game.. welllll not sure we can comment without knowing which style of play the person is comfortable with.. we hear all the time' throw whats comfortable-- well that's a million different discs given the throwers commenting so which fits which style???

...so American and Swedish/Euro styles are it?

Or "reach back vs bent elbow"?

Power vs finesse?

Last edited:
I like this thread idea. As far as power vs finesse. I feel like you could almost make it speed vs power vs finesse. Wiggins seems to throw really hard with his arm, same with Avery. Someone like GG and colglazier seem to rely more on speed. Whereas Mcbeth and schusterick both have smoother finesse style drives. I only say that BC without knowing if it's 300 or 500 they're throwing for, the throw looks very effortless.

I think Nikko could make a case for speed and power style throw hybrid. Brinster also has a hybrid type throw based on speed and finesse.

Run up speed would be another classification. Ie Anthon vs doss

What's the difference between hard and speed with top level pro's? Seems almost same to me and smoothness is the difference.

Does a finesse player make up for the lack of extreme effort by adding snap?

Does a "power" thrower have some leeway snap-wise because of the effort that is put into the throw?

Might be stupid questions, but I guess I just don't understand how someone that seems to throw with no effort can throw as far as someone like Nikko who has a huge run up and seems to put his all into every drive.

Does a finesse player make up for the lack of extreme effort by adding snap?

Does a "power" thrower have some leeway snap-wise because of the effort that is put into the throw?

Might be stupid questions, but I guess I just don't understand how someone that seems to throw with no effort can throw as far as someone like Nikko who has a huge run up and seems to put his all into every drive.

some good points in those questions. IMO to simply answer them both-- yes. I would argue the verbiage is not quite "on par" for what the end results are but the point is there. I would bet with finesse players you would also find a less over-stable heavy bag more neutral vs a power player who favors more OS discs. Im not sure "snap" wise like you say is really the difference but a finesse style does (IMO) rely more on spin and manipulating flights than a power style which is about angles and disc stability. It takes a lot more body movement and aglinment to throw a OS disc on anhyzer than it does throwing a one with some HSS turn.

Also all players combine both styles obviously given the line it would be dumb not to be able to at a high level but feel they still favor one over the other.