• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Fatality Due to Lightning - Safety Tips

bosoxbrent

I didn't see another post on this on the Forum, so I figured I'd pass it along.

Two people struck by lightning in Spearfish, safety reminders

This is very sad and tragic.

As your friendly disc golf playing meteorologist, I thought it was a good time to pass along a few tips to keep in mind while playing this summer.

Lightning: What You Need to Know
  • NO PLACE outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area!!
  • If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you.
  • When you hear thunder, immediately move to safe shelter: a substantial building with electricity or plumbing or an enclosed, metal-topped vehicle with windows up.
  • Stay in safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.

Last Resort Outdoor Risk Reduction Tips
If you are caught outside with no safe shelter anywhere nearby the following actions may reduce your risk:

• Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks
  • Never lie flat on the ground
  • Never shelter under an isolated tree
  • Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter
  • Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water
  • Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc.)

For more information on lightning safety, please visit the NWS's Lightning Safety website.

Stay safe out there my friends!

-Brent

They didn't say much about the discers in the article...are they okay?

Last Resort Outdoor Risk Reduction Tips
If you are caught outside with no safe shelter anywhere nearby the following actions may reduce your risk:

• Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks
  • Never lie flat on the ground
  • Never shelter under an isolated tree
  • Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter
  • Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water
  • Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc.)
-Brent
This is a great list of things NOT to do but what SHOULD I do?

This story sent a shudder through me, for all the times I've tempted Thor and survived, on the disc golf course and elsewhere.

This story sent a shudder through me, for all the times I've tempted Thor and survived, on the disc golf course and elsewhere.
Same. I was doing course maintenance near a basket during a thunderstorm earlier this week and thought about what I'd say if someone asked me what on Earth I was doing out there if I was struck and survived.

"Oh just thought the odds were in my favor."

Doesn't sound so practical if it comes from someone that just got hit. heh.

Man, that is sad to hear.

I agree! Doing something for fun and it turning to tragedy, esp college kids in the prime of life; it makes me think of the times my friends and I have laughingly thrown caution to the wind and gone out or stayed out longer than we should have in storm conditions...

sad and tragic.

its one of those things where people always think it cant happen to them

no round of disc or ball golf, or anything outdoors really, is worth staying out there and taking the risk. even if its the best you've ever played. get out of there. be safe.

I think we need to look at this more closely.

It sounds like this area was unique in it geology. As if they were in a mountainous area with rock walls. Merely speculating..

I know that in certain high areas of mountains their is an extreme risk being struck during certain days and certain parts of the day. I have heard of places in colorado up in the mountains were your basically told not to up their during these times of day.

Does anyone know this area and what the course is like?

But then again it does happen everywhere and anywhere-in peaceful grassy fields during a rain storm.

I often do not take cover with lightning/thunder near by. I'm willing to take some of these risks because it is still highly unlikely to get hit by lightning statiscally speaking.

But on the other hand those who spend a lot of time outdoors wouldn't fall under that normal stat of 1 in million or something stat.

Last edited:
This is a great list of things NOT to do but what SHOULD I do?

Duh, you should avoid doing everything on the list. :p

Oh … and bust out your 1 iron and point it at the sky (what do you mean, you don't carry a 1 iron?), because not even God can hit a 1 iron.