• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf for seniors

We have alot of seniors down here playing. I ran into one of my dads friends on our course, someone told him it would be good for his recovery from heart surgery!

Cool...and yeah it's great for all ages. Low impact, mild to moderate cardio, fresh air, and mentally challenging. Alzheimer's-B-Gon!

At one of the courses that is more family friendly this week I saw to separate couples in their mid 60's playing. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Couple of days ago, I saw a couple that has to be in their sixties (or maybe a bit older?) playing at Zilker Park here in Austin. It's pretty much mostly a pitch and putt for most people. I usually only throw midranges and putters at this course.

It was cool, and I hope I continue to be active at that age.

Yes, playing disc golf as a senior is great fun and exercise. As a person who has graduated from work (read retired), I am able to play most days here in Austin Texas. To encourage new people in the sport that I meet on the course, I offer cards with 7 web sites for great training and course identification information (including DGCourseReview). Even though I was introduced to disc golf by a friend who is older than me, there have only been a couple of people that I have met on the course who exceed my age. But, age really has little bearing on this game. Granted, I can't throw 400 feet; but, I can compete fairly well with the many 20 to 40 year olds that I have the opportunity to play with during the week. The best thing about the sport is that it's generally free (just need a few discs).

SOmetimes my Mom will walk the course and watch me play a round and every now & then she will pick up my Glide and give it a throw. She asked me to get some discs together for her & some of her friends to take to the course & play 9 holes.

I tried to get a guy and his gkids out but he only wanted to try the closest course (cass benton) instead of a quick drive to freedom park (pitch and putt).

Sadly, he was turned off by all the existing signs having penis' drawn on them.

Imho, i feel seniors, kids, and women would benifit most from proper instruction but i dont feel comfortable giving randoms advice.

My name is Old Bassman and I am a senior citizen.
(qualifying age is 55).
Last year I read the brochure from the PDGA about seniors plaing disc golf and was halfway through it when I realized they were talking people my age. (Yes, but the teenager is still alive in me!)
I started playing a long time ago and took a break from DG (not really sure how long and I blame it on the ex).
I returned to DG last year on May 8th 2010 and played about 350 rounds by years end. Weight loss, new freindships, exercise and massive enjoyment were just some of the many rewards. I still enjoy playing DG as often as I can. I will play as long as I am able.
I hope to encourage any seniors (and all others) that visit DGCR to play this wonderful game.
I would be glad to discuss this game with any interested seniors.

Play on in your golden years.

Last edited:
thats a good story old bassman! im not a senior yet(45) but hope to keep playing a long time. I took 15 years off ,but glad im playing again. I like playing the young guys at the course and holding my own!

There's a retired Doctor, probably close to 65, that has Parkinson's disease that plays a couple of times a week. Friends of his (a retired couple) that used to fish every day are completely hooked on DG and barely fish at all anymore. The dude in this couple has a rifle sidearm and can put a r-pro boss out 300+ feet. he's got 5 more aces than I do.

We have 5-6 grandmaster aged dudes in our Club that are fun as hell to play with.

Old folks rule

Latest posts