• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Myth Busters

discmonkey42

Eagle Member
I'm a huge fan of the show and thought it would be cool to dispell some myths here. Some things seem to pop up over and over again even here and need to be set straight. Also some are pretty effin funny.

One of the ones that is a pet peeve of mine is the "I have good snap because I can hear it" myth. That myth, I believe, is busted as some of the best snap in the world might not be audible. In fact, watching some pros throw this weekend, the only sound I heard was the disc flying through the air, the release often made no noise at all. Many times, the "snap" that is heard is your finger tips slamming back against your palm, a snapping noise, but definitely not an indicator of the snap we are all looking for.

close lies are "gimmes"

nothing is a give me, you have to sink them all cause I have seen ALL distances of putts missed!

I failed to 'place' a disc into the basket a couple of weeks ago, parked it for deuce for sure, but when I put the disc into the chains and let go, it sprang out.

Worse than the Barry Schultz 2005 USDGC shot for sure :(

Lesson learned!

ericdmb said:
close lies are "gimmes"

nothing is a give me, you have to sink them all cause I have seen ALL distances of putts missed!

People who only throw one weight of disc. If you refuse to throw anything besides, lets say, 174 because that is your preferred weight you should probably never put your discs on a scale. Almost no disc weighs what is written on it. A gram is about the weight of a paper clip. pick up one or two. Does that weight feel like anything that is really noticable?

Note this does not apply to big swings in disc weight, 150 and 170 are quite different. 173 and 174 are not.

I was talking to a discraft rep last night. he said that 80% gateway discs and 70% of discraft discs don't technically pass the flexibily standards of the PDGA. Does anyone know if that is true. The PDGA can't check every disc he said so only the ones they send down to the PDGA for testing have to pass.

40% of people who talk in percentages or use them as example are making it up, and the other 60% are just wrong :shock: 8)

only what the pdga is sent is tested, after a disc is approved it is approved 90% of the time lol.

Mr.SmOOOth said:
I can cause a disc to hit the first available branch simply by saying, "Nice shot!"

This really cracks me up, too. It's funny how some people get genuinely upset with you for "nicing" them. If this were actually possible, wouldn't you use that power to help your own shots and not just to hurt theirs?

Actually I've heard from a couple champion players saying that gateway firm, kc pro (roc aviar), and other similar plastics arent pdga legal. I think that if they werent there would have been a stop to them by now.

discmonkey42 said:
Mr.SmOOOth said:
I can cause a disc to hit the first available branch simply by saying, "Nice shot!"

This really cracks me up, too. It's funny how some people get genuinely upset with you for "nicing" them. If this were actually possible, wouldn't you use that power to help your own shots and not just to hurt theirs?

Unfortunately with current technology, it's only a one way road...a "nice" can only have negative impact on a disc's flight. Scientists are diligently working on finding a method of positively affecting disc physics with spoken words, right along with anti-gravity, cold fusion, and faster than light travel. Interestingly, progress has been made in respects that on SOME occasions, yelling "garbage" at an errant throw can actually cause a disc to miss a tree altogether or even kick off a tree to bring it closer to the basket. Top minds in the scientific community feel that a breakthrough is right around the corner. :wink:

I like to use revers phsycology for my discs,
I scream at them "Hit that tree!" and they fly right pass it.....
This is due to discs being naturally hard headed and beligerent-
somewhat like their owner.. :wink: