• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Private Country Club

Most of the brokedick people I play with wouldn't be able to afford anything more than about 20 bucks a month though.
That's still $240/year. Which is think is well beyond the breaking point for most DG'ers, and well short of the breaking even point unless you have like 500 people on board.

This exists, I had mentioned Boyne Mountain below. A golf/ski resort. Three ball courses, five restaurants/bars, two pools, lodging, zip line course, mountain biking courses....take a ski lift to the top to play a very nice course. It could use some work and does not get the attention from the property owners it needs, but it is a joy to visit and hang out. Nice part there is a dozen nice courses within an hour drive. But, the key for sure is the disc golf is simply an add on attraction.

Yeah, there are several ski resorts here in the northeast that have put in courses. It's another summer activity to bring people to the mountains in the summer.

Ball golf courses require WAY more money as far as maintenance. That's where a lot of their money goes. Disc golf doesn't require a day in day out approach when it comes to course upkeep. So you're not paying 6-12 or however many people needed full-time in that regard, nor do you require mowers, pesticides, a huge building for your mowers, and all the other costly things associated with ball golf courses.

Ball golf courses have to think about cutting corners/cost-cutting, like 'spraying the grass green' instead of switching to Rye grass over the winter to save tens of thousands of dollars. There are a lot of costs that we don't even have to consider for disc golf.

A fraction of the time and money for maintenance, a fraction of the paid employees, a fraction of the full-time employees. A fraction of clubhouse costs. There are a lot of aspects of a nice disc golf course that are still much cheaper than ball golf.

I really don't think it would be as difficult as many think to make it happen. Perhaps not as a money making venture but surely as a successful and enjoyable endeavor as far as disc golf is concerned.

Could you take it a little further and maybe make it a sports complex, and not just a DG country club? I'm envisioning softball fields, volleyball courts, horsehoes, etc. around a sports bar/restaurant kind of a deal. If you broaden it to include more interests, I think it seems more viable. As it is, I don't think you'd get enough membership if it was limited strictly to DG.

Could you take it a little further and maybe make it a sports complex, and not just a DG country club? I'm envisioning softball fields, volleyball courts, horsehoes, etc. around a sports bar/restaurant kind of a deal. If you broaden it to include more interests, I think it seems more viable. As it is, I don't think you'd get enough membership if it was limited strictly to DG.
Hmm, minus the sports bar, that sounds like a park to me.

I don't see too many private enterprises like that anywhere. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

It probably won't work because disc golfers are poor scum of the earth types. That is the main reason....you start with the a pool of undesirable people and you wonder why nothing good ever happens. Obviously most of the people who are serious enough to find this website don't apply but we make up less than 1 percent of disc golfers.

Yeah, there are several ski resorts here in the northeast that have put in courses. It's another summer activity to bring people to the mountains in the summer.

Any nice ones Brad. We are always looking for a nice summer trip. If I bring the wife the amenities are a bonus.

Hmm, minus the sports bar, that sounds like a park to me.

I don't see too many private enterprises like that anywhere. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

Yep, fair point. The sports bar/clubhouse are sort of interchangeable in my description based on how you want to define it, and I guess I was thinking of those other activities in terms of (un)organized leagues/tournaments that you see around sports bars - darts, volleyball, softball, etc. Targeting the slightly-more-serious participants of those activities where leagues and tournaments could happen instead of just the casual folks playing in a park. Perhaps melding it all into one environment would encourage particpants of one activity to attempt the others. Honestly though, if there's no alcohol involved, I don't think it'll ever work for any of it. :\

Any nice ones Brad. We are always looking for a nice summer trip. If I bring the wife the amenities are a bonus.

Absolutely.

Smuggler's Notch is a really good summer destination with all sorts of activities. The dg course (Brewster Ridge) opened last year and is really nice. The resort actually hired one of the top players in VT to help build and run it.

Sugarbush is another good option. There are two courses there, one where you take the ski lift to the top of the mountain and play your way back down, and one at the base of the mountain. They don't seem quite as focused on summer activities as Smuggs is though.

And there's a new one in NH at Mt Sunapee. I haven't been to that one yet, so I can't give a good review.

Absolutely.

Smuggler's Notch is a really good summer destination with all sorts of activities. The dg course (Brewster Ridge) opened last year and is really nice. The resort actually hired one of the top players in VT to help build and run it.

Sugarbush is another good option. There are two courses there, one where you take the ski lift to the top of the mountain and play your way back down, and one at the base of the mountain. They don't seem quite as focused on summer activities as Smuggs is though.

And there's a new one in NH at Mt Sunapee. I haven't been to that one yet, so I can't give a good review.

Thanks, man. I will look into it. We have played out most of Michigan. A trip out that way might just be the answer.

Thanks, man. I will look into it. We have played out most of Michigan. A trip out that way might just be the answer.

I almost forgot Killington too (which is odd since I just got back from skiing there). They have a course on the mountain around one of the lodges.

And there's a ski and snowboard supply store with snowshoe trails at the base of a mountain that put in a course for summer. They also have a small lodge which serves as a small DG clubhouse in the summer.

Smugglers notch is great. Stayed there this fall. Beautiful colors and a great disc golf course.

If it was affordable to join, it wouldn't be affordable to keep it running.

This is a great point.

I would have no problem paying for the opportunity to play at a very nice, very well upkept (sp?) course with typical golf course country club amenities.

The issue, like most have said is the mindset, and goal of many golfers to have this sport be free, or at least incredibly cheap.

I think the key is there needs to be both. Beginner/intermediate courses being free in local parks, etc. And advanced to pro level courses being pay to pay, with levels between inexpensive to expensive as the quality of course improves. Then you would be able to have country club atmosphere as well at some of these.

I would be all for it. But not at the expense of losing the free courses. They do grow the playing base, which allows the sport to grow. But seeing the possibility of nicer courses, and nicer venues to experience disc golf, could help the image of the sport grow as well.

Just think about it. Going to the course at 11am on a Saturday, grabbing a quick lunch from the kitchen. Play your championship level course, par 70 for 3.5hrs or so. Comes back at 4, shower and grab a couple drinks with your buddies. Grab a bite to eat. Head home after a great Saturday, all at the same place. All the while leaving your discs, dirty shoes, etc in your locker with your name on it.....That'd be sweet.

It probably won't work because disc golfers are poor scum of the earth types. That is the main reason....you start with the a pool of undesirable people and you wonder why nothing good ever happens. Obviously most of the people who are serious enough to find this website don't apply but we make up less than 1 percent of disc golfers.

Sad, but true statement.

Just think about it. Going to the course at 11am on a Saturday, grabbing a quick lunch from the kitchen. Play your championship level course, par 70 for 3.5hrs or so. Comes back at 4, shower and grab a couple drinks with your buddies. Grab a bite to eat. Head home after a great Saturday, all at the same place. All the while leaving your discs, dirty shoes, etc in your locker with your name on it.....That'd be sweet.

This is what I am saying. I realize that many disc golfers claim to not be able to afford anything other than free, but there are plenty of the same demographic shelling out greens fees at ball courses. Of course the free variety is not an option there. I think there are plenty of disc golfers with jobs and disposible entertainment dollars, tap the market.

This is what I am saying. I realize that many disc golfers claim to not be able to afford anything other than free, but there are plenty of the same demographic shelling out greens fees at ball courses. Of course the free variety is not an option there. I think there are plenty of disc golfers with jobs and disposible entertainment dollars, tap the market.

Part of the problem is just quantity. Ball golf courses simply get more traffic than disc golf courses do. So additional services on site are much more financially viable in ball golf than in disc golf.

So many of us though, are so accustomed to doing the following, that fantasy would be a hard sell.

- Hitting the convenience/liquor store/McDonalds for food/beverages.
- Packing our equipment into our cars, so we have them available for playing disc golf elsewhere.
- Playing at a tournament somewhere else at 11am on a Saturday.
- Getting two rounds done in 3.5 hours, with a foursome.

Part of the problem is just quantity. Ball golf courses simply get more traffic than disc golf courses do. So additional services on site are much more financially viable in ball golf than in disc golf.

I disagree.....many disc golf courses get tons of players and are packed most of the time. The problem is financial.....ball golfers are as a group wealthier and have no problem spending disposable income on greens fees while disc golfers expect to play for free.

Verdugo Hills golf course (pitch and putt really) has psuedo side-by-side tees and greens/baskets for both ball and disc golfers but the disc golf course was an add-on after the ball course was layed out. The main drawback is that disc golfers have to wait for the ball golfers to get off the greens because in all but a few holes, the ball greens (out of bounds for disc golfers) come into play. It's day use only with a great cafe/bar, pro shop, lit up at night, etc.

However, if one were to lay out a course where both could drive once the previous group wandered off the tee, the amount of golfer traffic without waiting would be greatly increased and fees could be lowered.

Latest posts