• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Questionnaire

I understand that you would like to have a pro shop style store. How much homework have you done so far? Have you figured out how many discs you have to sell each month to break even?

Quite a bit, this has been an on going process for quite sometime now. Yep, we have done a lot of market research and reached out to numerous business advisors in the DG world. A lot more research than I thought would be needed, but it's a process and started off as a hobby and has moved into a serious business plan within the last year. Slowly but surely and precisely doing my homework to create a quality and reputable shop.

1. How old are you? 36

2. What state do you reside in? MO

3. Number of years playing? 18

4. How many discs do you carry per round? 20-25.

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Both - I'm picky about color / plastic / weight so online tends to get more business for selection.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $18

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yup.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? General gear - bags towels, etc.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?

I would think storefronts are tough in this business - especially with so many franchise / chain stores in the game now. I would guess a better model is online and traveling from event to event. But I don't know.

qQuestionnaire

1. How old are you?

2. What state do you reside in?

Maryland

3. Number of years playing?

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag?

18-22

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront?

Pretty even, but when I know I want a specific disc I go online.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc?

$18

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store?

No, but I want to

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs?

Gear! Apparel is always nice, Maybe an area to test discs or a putting area. (I know this would be difficult, but in sports like tennis that will really seal a sale :thmbup:.)

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?

15-25 minutes, 30 minutes max

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me![/QUOTE]

1. How old are you?
Oregon
12-13 discs
Online. I come to stores to see what feels nice and to check out the Used bin.
$15
Yes.
Cheap minis (I lose them all the time). Also, lots of ~165g discs.
30 min

Last edited:
It's going to be really difficult to operate a profitable brick and mortar disc golf store. Almost impossible. Are there any other local businesses that you could possibly share a space with? Or, maybe just open a liquor store that also sells discs...

I wouldn't say that. There are quite a few successful brick and mortar stores out there. As long as you aren't in the immediate vicinity of one of them already, and disc golf is popular in your area, it seems only as risky as starting any other business. Can always do online sales as well.

1. How old are you? 27

2. What state do you reside in? WI

3. Number of years playing? 11

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 12-13

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Marshallstreet (online) or Glide (storefront)

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $25 if it's special in some way.

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? All the time. Glide in Madison, Riverside in West Bend.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Obviously bags and baskets and other disc golf stuff, but I always wish Glide would start selling snacks and Gatorade. Also, hoodies and apparel is nice.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 2 hrs, but way more if there is cool frolf to be played as well.

Last edited:
1. How old are you? 26

2. What state do you reside in? Northern Wisconsin

3. Number of years playing? 3

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 10

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Online

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? No. But, there isnt really one around either.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags/packs

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 30 minutes or so.

Answers

1. How old are you? MP1

2. What state do you reside in? FL

3. Number of years playing? 2

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 16-18, all of them

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Mostly online because there are few real stores. Infinite Discs is my favorite online retailer.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? Depends on plastic, but $18 max

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Everything disc golf. Bags, apparel, minis, accesories

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 100 miles...especially if it was near a good disc golf course.

Last edited:
1. How old are you?

Officially in TX but I'm on the road these days

8-12 out of about 20 total

About 50/50

Yes

Anything DG related, especially accessories like disc retrievers, carabiners, minis, ...

1 hour

1. 18

2. NY (unfortunately NE NY)

3. 4 1/2 years

4. Between 20-30 with about 15 always in the bag.

5. Online unless Dick's has a very specific Destroyer or I'm at a tournament.

6. $25-$30 if its a specific run of disc (USDGC Rocs, McPro Roc3s, Sexton FireBirds, etc.) Otherwise nothing over $20 except for certain circumstances such as a fundrasier/charity disc.

7. Yes (MSt)

8. Other Disc Golf related items

9. Up to 5 hours maybe more if it has at least 2 championship level courses nearby

1. How old are you? 23

2. What state do you reside in? Texas

3. Number of years playing? 3 years

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 18-22

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Both

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? anything disc related

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 15-30 minutes

1. How old are you?

Wisco

Lets call it 5

Retail, maybe $20 if it was something special but rarely over $16

Yes, numerous

Bags, Baskets, Apparel, Services. These are the reasons I would go to a store because I want to see what the actual product is like and compare different brands of bags and baskets or to buy a service like tags, signs, custom shirts, course recommendations. I can get any disc I want online for less than any store could feasibly sell them for and they come directly to my house; so its the other things that would draw me into a store.

I would travel an hour maybe one or twice to check a store out but regularly only 20minutes unless it was by a course I frequented.

Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you?

WI

17-20

DX: $7
Champ: $14
Star: $17

Yes

Bags, Retrievers, Practice Basket and trial putters, local club/course promotions.

I wouldn't go out of my way just for the store but if I am in the area I will stop in.

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!

See answers above, good luck!

Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you? 33

2. What state do you reside in? NC

3. Number of years playing? 10

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 16

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Storefront.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Does the proshop at USDGC count? If not, not yet but been to a few that had lots of discs.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags, towels, clothes. Water, beer and gatorade if you're near the course.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? An hour's drive probably.

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!
If it helps, there's a store in Wilmington, NC that sells discs and is doing well from what I hear. They're primarily a board games store but apparently many of the same nerds travel in the same circles of disc golf. http://www.capefeargames.com/

1. How old are you?

Maine

8 years

7 discs (4 drivers, 1 mid range, 2 putters)

Storefront generally

Not sure exactly what is meant by a "thrower disc" but the most I have spent and would spend on any disc is $20.

Yes

Baskets, bags, funky stuff (mini discs, tags, misc), refreshments/snacks (Especially if you're located on a course), a place to hang out after a round.

Luckily I live only 10 minutes away from one such store but depending on what the store had to offer and if it was located on or near a course I wanted to play I'd say about an hour to two.

1. How old are you? 55

2. What state do you reside in?OK resident but travel a lot

3. Number of years playing?17

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 20

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Online for specific disc/weights; Storefront for new or deals

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? No

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags, Carts, Accessories like towels, retrievers. Branded Disc golf clothing (ROCHEAD/Dude, etc) and shoes as they are developed. New stuff or new ideas to improve my game or my level of fun. If near a course, water/beer/sports drinks/snacks.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? Alas, it would have to be within 10-15 minutes of a course I was also interested in, in an area I was traveling to.

One comment, from someone with some experience in this regard:

The bulk of your customers will probably not be DGCR-types, and definitely not tournament-types.

1. How old are you?

Great state of KY

carry my bag every round so - 15ish

50/50 - discount store for extra's and store for new purchases

under $20

Yes - Pro Shop at Mt Airy; Disc N Dat doesn't seem to sell anything other than disc golf stuff

Bags, markers, mini's, cheap poncho's, hand warmers. Anything that would go in my bag

30 MIN - longer if it was near a nice course

1. How old are you?
MI (UP)
First threw a golf disc 10 years ago. Played casually a couple times a month when it was nice out, but have started playing 4-5 times a week the last 2 years.

I do a lot of buying, selling, and trading online. Probably 65% of my discs come from the marketplace on this site, facebook, or reddit disc exchange. If I'm buying a new/unthrown disc, I try to buy it in person to support the local shop. If they don't have exactly what I'm looking for they can put an order in and I'll have within a few weeks. I putt with and throw Wizards, and because they vary so much in stiffness and feel I insist on feeling them in person before buying them. I also buy *some* used discs at storefront.

Up to $18 new and $10-12 used, with some exceptions. I pay a premium for PFN Wraiths and PFN Teebirds, both of which I cycle.
I don't buy any 'hangers.'

Nope. The stores I've been in also sell bikes or skateboards or something else in addition to discs.

Minis. Bags. Towels. Stools. Reasonably priced apparel. Baskets. I like to see opportunities such as local tournaments and leagues. I liked someone else's idea of having scores up on a whiteboard.

I would make an occasional trip if it was within a couple hours and included a great course. I would only travel 30 mins if there was not also good golf to tag onto the trip.

Other feedback:
I'd love to be able to throw a disc in an open field before buying it. I've heard of that being a possibility at some stores, but have never actually been able to do that.

As others have said, if you're on/near a great course, I'd certainly swing by the shop if I was already planning to play a round nearby. Courses are a bigger draw for me than shops.

1. How old are you? 32

2. What state do you reside in? Ohio

3. Number of years playing? 18

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? Around 20

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Online. I have only purchased 1 in store, but they don't sell discs anymore.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? 15

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? No, closest was a bike shop with a disc golf area

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Hats, bags.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 90 miles (closest big city)

1. How old are you?

MO

8 - ? All of them?

On line

$20

Yes

Pretty much anything relatable to disc golf.

Not very. On line is more convenient. The only reason I've been in a DG store is that it was within throwing distance of a course that I frequent. They would often loan prototypes and new discs to known players. It was a store for disc golfers run by disc golfers.