• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Speed(s)

dbrodeanu

Bogey Member
Hello,

I have been playing for a month or two now (when the weather allows it) and I have a simple question about disc speeds - what speeds are good speeds to stop at or which speeds are the perfect number to deal with almost any circumstance?

I know that question may be subjective, but here is why I am asking it.

Currently the fastest speed that I carry in my bag is a Star Wraith (11 speed). I know that the speed for most discs go up to 14, with some even higher then that. So far I have been doing really well with these speeds and was wondering if there is even a point to jump to discs that are 12s, 13s, or even 14s. I haven't spent much time with my Wraith, but I have thrown a lot of 10s and 9s (primarily the Valkyrie) and I am getting them to the point of 250+ on good throws, which I am impressed I am doing after picking up the sport only a month or two ago.

If these discs are working for me (10 speed discs), is there a reason to go up? I know my technique and arm speed will increase, so is it okay if someone stays at lower end disc speeds, then going for say the Destroyer, Boss or even the a Firestorm?

I would not mind trying all the discs out that Innova has however, I am not looking to add all the discs to my bag and the speed of the discs always stuck in my mind. I know the discs with higher speeds have their pro's to them, but would I not do just as well sticking with the 10s and lower speed discs too?

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Cheers!

I read somewhere divide your longest throws by 35 (feet) or 10 (meters) and that gives a good idea of your current ideal disc speed.

It seems to check out. I am getting speed 9 discs out to about 90m regularly now and I can't get Wraiths much further

Hello,

I have been playing for a month or two now (when the weather allows it) and I have a simple question about disc speeds - what speeds are good speeds to stop at or which speeds are the perfect number to deal with almost any circumstance?

I know that question may be subjective, but here is why I am asking it.

Currently the fastest speed that I carry in my bag is a Star Wraith (11 speed). I know that the speed for most discs go up to 14, with some even higher then that. So far I have been doing really well with these speeds and was wondering if there is even a point to jump to discs that are 12s, 13s, or even 14s. I haven't spent much time with my Wraith, but I have thrown a lot of 10s and 9s (primarily the Valkyrie) and I am getting them to the point of 250+ on good throws, which I am impressed I am doing after picking up the sport only a month or two ago.

If these discs are working for me (10 speed discs), is there a reason to go up? I know my technique and arm speed will increase, so is it okay if someone stays at lower end disc speeds, then going for say the Destroyer, Boss or even the a Firestorm?

I would not mind trying all the discs out that Innova has however, I am not looking to add all the discs to my bag and the speed of the discs always stuck in my mind. I know the discs with higher speeds have their pro's to them, but would I not do just as well sticking with the 10s and lower speed discs too?

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Cheers!
Focus on shot shape. What discs, regardless of speed, are helping to fill a role in your bag? If you need a disc that moves into its fade hard and skips while it still has speed, you could probably use a high speed that some would say is "too fast" for you. Fill your bag to round out the shots you need to succeed on the courses that you play.

With that said - for the specific role of "distance driver" it sounds like you're on the right track. Stick with the 9 speeds until you start to get out beyond 300 feet, and then start trying out faster plastic for the role.

As already mentioned, the shape of the shot and the way it needs to land tend to dictate the type of disc more than the distance. Watching pro coverage you'll see the pros use a speed 3 putter on a 350' hole because they need to fly straight and land softly without any ground play, then on the next 290' hole they'll use a speed 9 fairway driver to help them swing around an obstacle and skip back towards the basket.

See this guys vid, which I'm pointing out because they do a nice job of tracing the shot shapes.

I can't throw like that, so I really don't need a disc that requires a fast arm speed because it isn't going to do anything I can't do with a Roc or whatever. But, as mentioned above, you might use a fast disc to throw/skip under a low hanging tree canopy or something.

The speed is about how fast your arm needs to be moving to make the disc do what it is designed to do.

Okay, so it was about what I thought, the disc(s) and the shot are important and the speed follows suit with that.

Sound good, thanks everyone!

On the local course I play at I'm usually good for pars with a birdie thrown in. My game has improved noticeably over the last two months resulting in longer distances and more accurate throws. Just to see what was what, the other day I took just one MVP Anode putter with me for a one disc round. The result? Surprising, to say the least. Longer straighter shots and a few birdies. Go figure. To be fair, these MVP putters seem to fly FAR. (I don't know why that is) I could most likely leave my bag and cart at home and use one disc on most days lol.