• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Only 4 Different Speed Choices Bag

acrosley

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just for fun what would you bag if all your putters, mids, fairways, distance drivers had to be of the same speed? Even though the rules are made up (just like flight numbers) and the points don't matter I'm going to say speed 7-9 count as fairways and speeds 4 and 5 are mids. If you want to argue a Valkyrie is a DD and/or the Zone is a putter then go ahead, but your other DD's and/or putters have to be that speed too!

I think I'd go with

Distance Drivers - Mamba, Trace, Wraith

Fairways - Essence, Pipeline, Banzai

Mids - Tursas, Rift, Quake

Putters - Magic, Wizard, Scale

Haven't thrown the Essence, Banzai or Scale, but from what I've read they'd fit the bill for those slots. Alternatively, I could break my own rules and bag speed 9s for DD and speed 7s for fairways but there's already a whole other thread devoted to that discussion.

Distance - Wraith

Fairways - Firebird, Thunderbird, Sidewinder

Mids - Gila, maybe a Mako3

Putters - Berg

I would feel the pain of not having a Reko. Those putter drives are nice to have around, but the Berg is just too good for putting and approach shots to not have it in the bag. I think learning to Power down on a Mako3 would fill the gap

I had to look up speeds of a handful of thee cause I dont pay much stock in disc speeds. My game has revolved around 9/10 speed discs or 7ish speed for a long time. It was either A lot of teebirds, or OLFs/PDs/Anax. When the 9/10s were in the bag the 7s didnt get used much (i like throwing mids). The Chameleon is the perfect combo for me. Comfy rim of a 9ish speed but bulky enough and gentle enough to throw shorter lines well. Its an "8.5" so I rounded up for this exercise (its nearly a 10 speed rim so up made more sense than down)
Going Berg/Pole cat would have mean sacrificing wizards or envys, but the iguana powers down and is versitile enough to cover those, having a speed 1 approach class will be more beneficial. This was actually pretty easy. I do think I would miss having the craves, but the iguana, origin and flippy chameleon covers most of what the crave would. I havent thrown the Wild Honey before, but from the sounds of it I would love it in the wave spot.

Speed 1: Bergs-Polecats
Speed 5: Justice-Gila-Iguana-Origin
Speed 9: Predators-Chameleons
Speed 12: Spirit-Hurricanes-Wild Honey

I think the Komodo is also listed as a 9, so I can still throw it too.

Last edited:
Distance Drivers - Mamba, Trace, Wraith

Fairways - Essence, Pipeline, Banzai

Mids - Tursas, Rift, Quake

Putters - Magic, Wizard, Scale

If the devil hawk was the same speed as the wizard, I would be rocking those putters plus DH.

I like how you picked 3 sneaky long mids for their speed class too. Demon-Kaxe-Squall was in my mind to cover more space between mid and control driver, but the chameleon makes me happy powered down so I could keep my 5 speeds

If the devil hawk was the same speed as the wizard, I would be rocking those putters plus DH.

I like how you picked 3 sneaky long mids for their speed class too. Demon-Kaxe-Squall was in my mind to cover more space between mid and control driver, but the chameleon makes me happy powered down so I could keep my 5 speeds

I was considering Comet-Roc-Anvil for the mids but I've been bagging the Rift and Quake more so rolling with that. I forgot about the Squall, and I think DGA had an understable mid they classify as 6 speed as well (tremor I think?) DGA has some really nice molds in general now that I think about it

Putters: Aviars

Mids: Roc3s / Stingray

Fairways: Teebirds

Drivers: Wraiths

I like an old school approach of using base/mid-grade plastic in stages of wear. Often I'll use a different plastic or mold to fill out the most overstable slot in each speed class (sometimes that overstable disc will be a bit faster than the other discs in that group so they'll have similar range).

This is very similar to my current bag with the exception of a few utility molds and I'm not currently bagging Teebirds. I could switch to the above with very little drop off or adjustment though.

I had to look up flight numbers at Marshall Street but it appears my normal bag fits the question if I exclude the D2 which is speed 13:
12- X3, D4
10- H3, H5
5- M4
3- PMUS, PMS, PA5, A3, PA4

IMO the PA5 is considerably faster than the other putters though.

Latest posts