• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc inconsistencies

Mornius

There are no disc shops in my area, so I have to order all of my discs online. Because I can´t feel the discs before buying them and I read about discs that are prone to inconsistencies (the star destroyer for example) I want to ask which manufacturer has the least inconsistencies in their discs and are there certain plastics I should stay away from if I want discs that consistently fly the same way?

The one with the least molds.

Best thing in your case would be to call the online store and tell them what you're looking for re dome, PLH, clones from same run, etc.

In my experience putters and mids have fewer errors, the dome and wing on drivers seems to have a wider margin for error.

No company is flawless, I've seen problems with all of them.

MVP/Axiom are pretty good though if I had to say one.

The small manufactures. The smaller the company, the more infrequent the runs and the less variation from disc to disc.

Companies like discmania are totally transparent with the characteristics of certain runs of discs. So on their webstore they'll state if a FD (fairway driver) is a 2nd run and explain that it will be more overstable. Or this PD is a 4th run which is more under stable.

It's hard if you're new to the discs, but once you have experience with some it's easy to buy what you need and want from discmania.

I've been dealing with an online retailer for years that has no problem grabbing a stack of discs and checking to see if he has what I'm looking for. Every company has inconsistenties. The faster the disc the more a tiny change in the plh makes a difference.

MVP/Axiom has the reputation for consistency, and they deserve it... Half of my bag is MVP. Another company that everyone seems to forget about is Discraft. In my experience, their quality is just as good as MVP.

Millenium. Just figure out which run you like (1.1, 1.19, etc) and order that.
Discmania. They give you great info on how what you're buying flies on their store site.
Discraft. Some variance, sure, but I've always had great luck getting exactly what I wanted/expected from a certain mold.
Kastaplast. I've fondled various molds from various sources and shape wise, each disc within a mold was identical.
ABC. Not so sure about this one, but every Flying Squirrel I've seen has looked, felt, and flown the same.
RDG. Scales are Scales. Serpents are Serpents. Have the best selection of Wizards on the market.

I am pretty sure that I am the only person in a hundred mile radius that owns Kastaplast discs. I have never got to compare mine to any others....but they are probably the best designed discs I have thrown.

The small manufactures. The smaller the company, the more infrequent the runs and the less variation from disc to disc.

I will politely counter that Legacy seems to be incredibly inconsistent, even within runs. Certain colors fly differently than others. It's great for legacy fans and mold minimizing, but tough for someone wanting to pick discs without a difficult search.

I am pretty sure that I am the only person in a hundred mile radius that owns Kastaplast discs. I have never got to compare mine to any others....but they are probably the best designed discs I have thrown.

I have not seen very many, so small sample size. But they felt and looked (the stamps are SO clean) great. So I have a K1 Berg, K1 Kaxe, and K1 Rask on their way to me, hopefully tomorrow.

Certain Colors fly differently in all brand I have thrown. My group tells me I am imagining it, but I think not. I think the colorant gives the discs different amount of tackiness...affecting grip and affecting airflow over the spin.... I need to make a wind tunnel to either prove my point or too see I am crazy, one of the two

I have not seen very many, so small sample size. But they felt and looked (the stamps are SO clean) great. So I have a K1 Berg, K1 Kaxe, and K1 Rask on their way to me, hopefully tomorrow.
I have a first run Rask and perhaps a first run Kaxe, there was no k2 plastic when I bought mine last year. The k1 is so sweet, I don't know why the k2 exists...admittedly, I have never felt up a K2

Kastaplast, Reptilian, and Discmania.
Thats where I've landed after a lot of years dealing with inconsistency from elsewhere.
Kastaplast has been high quality and solid so far, and the others are totally transparent about what you are getting, which is just as valuable.

Certain Colors fly differently in all brand I have thrown. My group tells me I am imagining it, but I think not. I think the colorant gives the discs different amount of tackiness...affecting grip and affecting airflow over the spin.... I need to make a wind tunnel to either prove my point or too see I am crazy, one of the two
You are not crazy, or at least you are crazy but not alone. I feel the exact same way. I have the luxury to fondle a fair amount of MVP/Axiom discs and my findings have been the same. I now choose based on grip or amount of tackiness. I also believe colorant plays a roll in a discs flight not only grip. The differences are small but they are there. My findings are based on MVP/Axiom only as they are what I bag and have the most experience with.

Even MVP, with their unheard of consistency, will have issues with their distance drivers.

Putters and mids will have less issues.

If you're looking for good molds, I would suggest: Wraiths, Roadrunners, Firebirds, probably MVP fairways, Buzzz's, and maybe Trilogy putters.

I think I have the science chops to speak on this. I'll try not to be long winded. The polymers in discs act just like metal alloys in that they can change density and hardness depending on how fast they go from hot to cold. That is why a swordsmith quenches a blade in water or oil to make the steel cool at different rates. The thin edge cools fast and the spine cools slower. SO the cutting side is hard and can hold an edge but the spine is more flexible so the sword doesnt break. A samurai sword is the extreme example because it only has one edge. Just like a disc. A samurai sword gets its bend because the spine and edge cool at different rates and it makes the blade bend when you quench it.. Thats why Destroyers are inconsistent. Thick spine and thin edge. If they skeet one into the mold and let one cool for one minute before removing it will be one version of Destroyer. If you wait five minutes it will be different because it cooled different.

So when MVP makes a Destroyer tbey make the core first and they are all pretty much the same because there arent as many sword edges to cool slowly and make it curve. Then they put the same overmold on all the same cores. Money.

I only throw one Discraft mold currently (Buzzz OS) but they are, by far, the most consistent company I have seen. They are the second biggest manufacturer (unless you count Trilogy as one entity) but still manage to put out quality discs, every time. If you want a Hornet, grab one off the shelf...it'll fly the same as the last one you had. Lost a Z Predator? No worries...just grab another Z Pred and you're good to go. The only issue I've seen with them was with the Mantis, and I believe they actually retooled the mold after the Ace Race.

MVP and Axiom are right up there as well. I believe that's because the owners have a legitimate scientific background, which allows them better QC than other companies.

Daredevil is good once you figure out their weird plastic blend/mold system. Yikun has been really good, but they also haven't released a wide variety of colors, molds or plastic blends yet. Dynamic Discs is the best of the Trilogy brands, and I have no idea or theory why. Reptilian Disc Golf has been very good so far, which is saying a lot considering they are molded by Gateway. Salient is consistent, though the description of their discs is not.

Gateway is probably the worst, but that is by intentional design. Innova is a very close second.

Sorry for the thread drift, but...
I only throw one Discraft mold currently (Buzzz OS) but they are, by far, the most consistent company I have seen. They are the second biggest manufacturer (unless you count Trilogy as one entity) but still manage to put out quality discs, every time.

I know the Trliogy companies' discs have been increasing in popularity for a few years now, but, are they actually out producing Discraft/DGA? ...serious question.

As for consistency, I've found very few examples where a Discraft product didn't fly as expected. Less experience with Trilogy, but what I have thrown seems to be consistent within a mold.

Somewhat unimpressed with Innova's consistency... not saying it totally sucks, but over time,they have the greatest variability from disc to disc within a given mold/plastic that I've seen. It seems discs produced the same run fly similarly, but that's pretty much to be expected.

Which brings me to the realization that, other than Discraft and Innova, I really haven't had as much reason or opportunity to throw several different samples of the same mold/plastic/weight produced a few years apart. Only after I've lost and replaced more Trilogy/MVP/Vibram over time, will I be able to say they are as consistent as Discraft, or as inconsistent as Innova.