• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc On or Under Bridge?

jenb

* Ace Member *
If a disc is dry under a bridge, is it considered below the playing surface, such that the player gets to play from the bridge?

If not, then what if it is on the bridge over dry land? Is the disc considered above the playing surface such that it must be relocated to the ground below the bridge? If more than 2 meters, and 2 meter rule is in effect, does it apply in this case?

If yes to the first question, then what if the disc is wet under the bridge? Still get to move it to the bridge? Penalty?

I'm pretty sure you can have two playing surfaces on different levels. Under the bridge on land, over the bridge over land, you play the disc where it lies.

The question is what to do with the disc on the bridge, over water (assuming the water is O.B.). I think it depends on how the T.D. has designated O.B.

I think.

From the Q&A:

QA2: Bridge Over OB

Q: My throw landed on a bridge that spans an OB creek. Do I play from the bridge, or is my disc OB since it's above the creek? What if I'm on the bridge but over land?

A: A bridge is an example where one playing surface is vertically stacked above another playing surface. Each playing surface is treated independently. The bridge is in-bounds unless the TD has explicitly declared it to be OB, regardless of whether a playing surface above or below it is OB. If the two-meter rule is in use, it does not apply because your disc is on, not above, the playing surface. You mark your lie on the bridge, and there is no penalty.

Applicable Rules: 803.09 Out-of-Bounds; 800 Definitions (Playing Surface)

images

Last edited:
In the final 9 of a B tier I saw an open player land under a picnic table seat, he took his lie on top of the bench seat and drained a 50 footer from there. Is this a legal interpretation of that?

No, by default. But TD can specify that discs that land on picnic tables and benches that are sturdy enough to support players can optionally be marked and played on them. But a disc on the ground under them cannot be brought upward and played from that surface. Discs landing on them can only be marked on the ground under them.

If a disc under a bridge is not an example of "disc below the playing surface," then when would it ever apply?

In addition to dealing with discs typically in sidehill drain pipes and animal dens that weren't designated OB, "disc below playing surface" rule is for dealing with discs in small holes, pits or crevices where the player can't fit, get down to it or get in position to take a legal stance.

If a disc under a bridge is not an example of "disc below the playing surface," then when would it ever apply?
During the past Summers' droughts Houston has had a couple courses where the ground has been so dry it cracks open enough to swallow up discs.

There's a culvert in play on one of the holes (17?) at Rand Park in Keokuk, IA.
If your disc goes in, you are required to throw out of it.

What if your disc is under the bridge on dry ground, but not enough clearance to take a legal stance? Do you just move back and take relief to the side of the brifge opposite the basket?

No, by default. But TD can specify that discs that land on picnic tables and benches that are sturdy enough to support players can optionally be marked and played on them. But a disc on the ground under them cannot be brought upward and played from that surface. Discs landing on them can only be marked on the ground under them.

I had a disc in a pipe in World Mixed Doubles and Chuck made me stick my foot down the pipe and play from there instead of playing from the grass over the pipe directly above my disc. What a jerk. There could have been snakes, homeless people, or strange clown spiders. "We all float down here."

Hornets nest #7 in this picture on the right middle of the right side fairway; between the first 2 tree shadows. That pipe.
29ae59a4.jpg

Last edited:
During the past Summers' droughts Houston has had a couple courses where the ground has been so dry it cracks open enough to swallow up discs.

You see that a lot at some of the newer parks where they built up fields to level with fill dirt... the sides crack and erode...we had 2' deep cracks and channels at Eastway and RL Smith on some of the fairways where water eroded or flowed through the ground under the surface...

Your disc was sitting exposed to the sky in the half pipe as I recall with no ground above it. I believe they later covered the pipe before singles started. Even if it was partway in the pipe, you don't get relief on the ground above the pipe IF you can still mark and take a legal stance (which you were able to do). It's similar to when your disc is almost against a tree on the basket side. You must take a stance there if you can and only get solid object relief behind the tree if you physically can't take a legal stance.

What if my disc rolls in front of a huge fallen tree, and there is no place to stand within 30cm of the disc unless you are standing atop the fallen tree?

Can I throw from atop the tree since it's immediately behind my lie within 30cm?

A fallen tree is generally not considered a playing surface. So No. Rule 803.04 covers this
E. If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately behind that obstacle on the line of play. The player must comply with all the provisions of 803.04 A other than being within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.

What if your disc is under the bridge on dry ground, but not enough clearance to take a legal stance? Do you just move back and take relief to the side of the brifge opposite the basket?

It would seem to me that taking stance above, if possible. would be the most reasonable and logical extension of the rule. Unless TD specifically says otherwise.