• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc recommendations

auzcar

Birdie Member
I have a few holes in my bag that I want to fill as well as a couple of discs that I'd like to replace with another mold, mostly because of feel. I plan to order some possible candidates and start off the season with some fieldwork to hopefully get the bag sorted out some more. Any suggestions are welcome :)

This is what I'm looking for:

Utility overstable distance driver:
Looking to complement my Destroyers with something with less glide and more stability. Spike hyzers, hard flex shots etc. Basically a longer FAF Firebird. I've ordered a Slab and I'm looking at Stilettos as well.

Moderately overstable midrange:
To complement my Buzzz. Beadless and flat. Straight with a reliable fade and to fight some headwinds. Bagging a Caiman atm but want some more glide and distance. Eyeballing the Reactor.

Understable midrange:
I absolutely love how the Fuse flies but it's too putterish in the hand for me. I want something that has the same stability but is Buzzz-like in profile; beadless and flat. Maybe a Hex? Meteor?

Slightly understable fairway driver:
My fairway lineup is a mess and this is a part of my bag that I will probably end up with some overlap in the end. I need a 18mm-ish flat fairway that has controllable turn and can complement my Teebird3 (if I end up bagging them...). Hyzerflip to straight, flat to slight turnover. I've already ordered and received a Crave and Relay which feels great in the hand, especially the Crave, and I have high hopes for those. Happy to receive other suggestions though.

Utility understable driver:
Mainly flippy rollers and get out of jail shots. Bagging an Essence and liking it but would prefer a 9-10 speed. Looking at the Hatchet.

Super long post and a lot to ask, but I will gladly receive any recommendations you have :)

Have you tried out the Teal 2021 Calvin Halo Destroyers? I find them sooo beefy. So much that I don't really need anything beefier for a distance driver. It holds up to 30mph headwinds for me. The only time I've ever seen it flip into a headwind was last week when a front blew through here and had 50mph wind gusts.

Lucid-X Verdict is my moderately overstable midrange. It slots right in between my Teebirds and Zone. Not quite as overstable a a zone, but more overstable as s Teebird, and fits right in the middle for distance potential. It's rather flat, but does have a small bead. So small I can't really notice it. Another great option is an Eclipse Reactor 2.0. Goes really straight and far, but still has a healthy bite at the end. It's more like a 5 speed Teebird.

Meteor is pretty buzzz like in Profile, but the main difference is it's given a flat wing as opposed to a concave wing. It flies pretty similar to a Fuse too.

My best suggestion for your understable fairway would be to have patience and beat up a Teebird3. The FD is near the same rim width as the Teebird/3 but unfortunately pretty domey. Crave IIRC isn't quite the same rim size as the Teebird or FD, and neither the Leopard3. They're both more like 6 speeds.

Roadrunner has a 9 speed sized rim and is as Flippy as an Essence if not more after initial break-in. It's my favorite utility flippy Fairway.

As far as Buzzz feeling Over and understable counterparts, have you tried the Buzzz OS and Buzzz SS? Those may but what you are looking for. Utility understable flippy I would say either Used sidewinder or Roadrunner

I have a few holes in my bag that I want to fill as well as a couple of discs that I'd like to replace with another mold, mostly because of feel. I plan to order some possible candidates and start off the season with some fieldwork to hopefully get the bag sorted out some more. Any suggestions are welcome :)

Looking to complement my Destroyers with something with less glide and more stability. Spike hyzers, hard flex shots etc. Basically a longer FAF Firebird. I've ordered a Slab and I'm looking at Stilettos as well.

To complement my Buzzz. Beadless and flat. Straight with a reliable fade and to fight some headwinds. Bagging a Caiman atm but want some more glide and distance. Eyeballing the Reactor.

Understable midrange:
I absolutely love how the Fuse flies but it's too putterish in the hand for me. I want something that has the same stability but is Buzzz-like in profile; beadless and flat. Maybe a Hex? Meteor?

My fairway lineup is a mess and this is a part of my bag that I will probably end up with some overlap in the end. I need a 18mm-ish flat fairway that has controllable turn and can complement my Teebird3 (if I end up bagging them...). Hyzerflip to straight, flat to slight turnover. I've already ordered and received a Crave and Relay which feels great in the hand, especially the Crave, and I have high hopes for those. Happy to receive other suggestions though.

Mainly flippy rollers and get out of jail shots. Bagging an Essence and liking it but would prefer a 9-10 speed. Looking at the Hatchet.

Super long post and a lot to ask, but I will gladly receive any recommendations you have :)

For the OS utility, I'd look at the Infinite Scepter. It's more Sexton Firebird stability, but by default a little longer than a FAF Firebird.

Check out the Leopard or Leopard3 for the slightly US slot. In Star plastic, they're much more neutral than the numbers suggest and have a slow, controllable turn.

Understable midrange:

mvp motion

no suggestion

beat on a pro d buzz

beat on a dx tb or even get a cycle of dx tb goin

those crappy chewed up discs you find have a dual purpose as water disc and a get out of jail trick shot understable disc

Slab isn't a bad call depending on which one you ordered, the clear C blend are the most OS. Also could look at; Nikko Adder, Alpha Bowie, MVP Energy, Nuke OS

Reactor is good, but you have to get the Cosmic Neutron for them to be much more OS than a Buzzz. The lone Star Alpha Middy and Proton Plasma Pyro are also worth looking at.

Understable midrange:
Don't know this slot very well, the Kui and Warship are the discs I've liked here and they are almost fairway like in flight/feel.

I use the Stag here.

Hatchet is a good one, Yikun Hu is similar and backhand rolls well, also the Axiom Virus has impressed me recently.[/QUOTE

Understable midrange:

[

I found the hex late last year and I absolutely love it. One of the most intuitive discs I've ever thrown. Definitely fits the beadless and flat profile. I'm not sure I'd call it truly understable. For me, at the 285ish I can throw it, it's mostly dead straight. Little turn but not much. A really good do everything kind of mid. As cliche as the saying is, it definitely holds any line you put it on. I think it would compare to a Buzzz.

Overstable utility driver: XCaliber. Same speed as the Destroyer, but with less glide and more beef. Great headwind distance driver.

Moderately overstable midrange: Buzzz OS or Malta. Neither one glides very well, and both have quite a bit of late fade. Neither are brutally overstable, but they won't turn at all.

Understable midrange: Mako3. The Mako3 is an underrated disc. Thrown with some hyzer it'll pop up and fly flat. Thrown flat it'll bend right for the entirety of the flight. Lots of glide, and it powers down very well.

Slightly understable fairway driver: Leopard3. The Leopard3 can be used for a variety of shots. It has some high speed turn, but isn't violently flippy. Despite only being speed 6, it also covers distance very well.

Utility understable driver: Beast. Oldie, but a goodie. The Beast will turn, but isn't ridiculously flippy. It covers ground well, and can be used on a variety of lines. If you want something faster, I'd say a Sheriff or Shryke.

I would throw out some suggestions, but this is now a game of buying whatever you find in stock. The inability to find what I want is becoming a point of frustration for me.

Trying to pick generally in-stock discs:

Discraft Flick

Latitude 64 Trust

Understable midrange:
Discmania Origin

Prodigy F5

Discraft Heat, but just keep using the Essence, or grab a lighter weight?

Understable midrange:

OS DD can't help you there

Moderately OS mid - verdict is amazing, with micro bead. The Mortar if you can find one is a mellow Caiman basically. If you decide the bead doesn't bother you, the Wasp is what you seek.

US mid - Meteor is pretty Buzzzish, also check out a VIP Tursas if you can find one, max weight and dome for a little on the stable side, closer to buzzz.

Slightly US fairway - Leopard3 is likely what you seek

Utility US driver - Underworld baby

OS mid: Definitely a Verdict, if you can be ok with the micro bead (which I don't even notice). It has a great combination of overstability and glide.

US mid: BuzzzSS is a good suggestion, but I'd get a used ProD or X Buzzz and beat it in as needed.

US fairway: Season a DX Teebird. DX Teebird3 might also work, but I've never thrown one.

Thanks for all the suggestions! These are probably the ones I'm most intrigued by and will look into. Some of them I already own and will try again and some suggestions I've tried and know I don't like.

Slab
Xcal
Nuke OS

Buzzz OS
Pyro
Trust

Understable midrange:
Buzzz SS
Meteor
Mako3
Origin

Crave
Relay
Leopard3
Patriot

Hatchet

Thanks for all the suggestions! These are probably the ones I'm most intrigued by and will look into. Some of them I already own and will try again and some suggestions I've tried and know I don't like.

Slab
Xcal
Nuke OS

Buzzz OS
Pyro
Trust

Understable midrange:
Buzzz SS
Meteor
Mako3
Origin

Crave
Relay
Leopard3
Patriot

Hatchet

so what is the list of

Kastaplast Rask

Eclipse 2.0 Reactor

Understable midrange:

An underweight Hex might be the play here. I personally love the Svea, but it isn't flat.

Its numbers don't suggest it, but I find the Lat 64 Striker in gold line plastic to be a great, slightly understable fairway.

Legacy Nemesis

Gateway Spirit or Kasta Rask to bookend your destroyer.

Kasta falk for US 9 speed is very hard to beat.

Moderate OS mid
I did a write up on this slot exactly a handful of years back. I settled on the lucid verdict. Very flat and feels like a buzzz and goes far. I was very surprised by shark3 also. But buzzz with more fade is a verdict
If you like beads the gila or prophecy are good too.

Moderate OS mid
I did a write up on this slot exactly a handful of years back. I settled on the lucid verdict. Very flat and feels like a buzzz and goes far. I was very surprised by shark3 also. But buzzz with more fade is a verdict
If you like beads the gila or prophecy are good too.

I feel like Verdict is the answer and I've been on the verge of trying it multiple times before, but that whole head of HR business over at Dynamic really pushed my buttons and I don't think I'll be buying their stuff for a while.

I had my first field session this year despite the 50cm of snow. I found a big parking lot area that isn't in use atm and was perfect for some throwing. I got to test the new discs I had bought already and here's my first thoughts:

Slightly understable fairway:
I spent a lot of time throwing the Champ Leopard3, Neutron Crave and Neutron Relay (all max weight) side by side. I've always liked the flight of the Leo3, especially in champ as it can take a lot of power without burning over. However, it doesn't feel right in my hand which is why I almost never bag it, but I own three of them and they will always be there as a backup.

The Relay really surprised me. I thought it was going to be too understable, but it flew extremely similar to the Leo3. It was easy to hyzer flip and get to move right and had a nice little LSS in the end. Even when I pulled it a bit and got over on it too much it didn't burn over, not once. I got it out to about 115m on average on a hyzer flip.

The Crave felt even better in my hand due to the rim being a tiny bit wider and also flew a bit faster and longer. It felt a smidge more HSS than the Relay but also less LSS and on a couple of shots when I got over on it a bit too much it did turn over too much. When I hit it right it hyzer flipped to dead straight without much fade at all, seems like a really great tunnel shot disc. A little bit touchier than the Relay.

I will keep both the Relay and Crave in the bag alongside my Teebird3 and keep testing them side by side, but I could also see bagging both of them, they seem like great discs after an hour or so of testing.

Utility OS distance driver:
I also tested the I-Blend Slab (max weight) and after the first session I am very excited. It wasn't as LSS as I expected but the HSS was very firm and dumpy. I could actually stretch this out pretty far, up to 130-135m on a flex line, which I didn't expect. I found the first half of the flight very workable and it was easy to get some flex to the right before the very dependable fade/dump kicked in. It was also about the most comfortable driver I've ever held in my hand, especially with the slightly softer plastic.

All in all I loved it for flex shots, both FH and BH, which is something I love to throw to and this will be going straight in the bag. I'll be looking for a C-Blend as well as I expect that to be much more overstable if the rumors are true.

Latest posts