• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc speed, arm speed, distance and FPO

Would be nice to have some repetition in there to validate the data, but I think it's good just the same.

I put in a chart to see what it looked like.

I see a few interesting things there.

One it validates the idea that, at least with proper technique, a driver is going to give longer results even if you throw slowly enough to only get a putter out there ~180. But, put another way, it also supports the idea that if you aren't getting results out of a distance driver, it's about technique more than raw arm speed. Technique above all.

It suggests that throwing mids isn't about getting more distance, even with proper technique, unless you have some serious pop in your arm. That's definitely something I've noticed. My mids don't go any farther than my putters. I was wondering if it was just my form, but it seems like maybe not.

I suspect my arm tops out around 50 mph, but a driver design plus it's stability give such results in terms of ground play that I find them useful.

Would be nice to have some repetition in there to validate the data, but I think it's good just the same.

I put in a chart to see what it looked like.

More data would be great. Especially if it's Simon throwing every disc. You know, he could market himself as a disc tester (do not say 5x fast). Throw a company's discs exactly ____MPH and note flight and distance.

During my trial and error phase, I purchased a 175g Boss...I might as well be throwing a 10# bar bell weight. Not only does it hyzer out, it does so very quickly with my significantly less than pro level power and speed.

But, an over stable disc can provide a consistent flight pattern and that is often the key to success for me. That said, I don't bag the boss. It sits in my disc box mocking me.

If you left that in your bag for years eventually it would be a great disc for you, they all straighten out eventually. It starts as your meathook hyzer no matter what especially if it is windy discs, everyone needs one of those discs in your bag. Eventually over time they just get seasoned and go farther and straighter

Start with short forehand rollers with that thing, that's a good shot to have.

More data would be great. Especially if it's Simon throwing every disc. You know, he could market himself as a disc tester (do not say 5x fast). Throw a company's discs exactly ____MPH and note flight and distance.

He's really good at that. That video where the one guy throws 59 and he steps up to match it and hits 60 right away.

Simon...how's this disc fly at 70? boom...

This is a really interesting conversation. I get the most distance out of understable distance drivers in field work sessions. One or two of my drives will make it to 400', with a lot being around 375'. To get that distance though, I have to risk turning the disc over or not turning it enough. On the course, I dont give the driver enough power for fear of turning it over. That usually ends in an early hyzer and only getting 300'.

With a fresh pro leopard, I dont have that problem. I'm only getting 350' during field work but that distance is the same on the course. I dont have to worry about turning it over and so I dont hold back any power.

Because I cant get a high speed stable driver up to speed, I have to throw understable versions which seem to increase the risk of me turning it over, or not throwing hard enough in fear of turning it over. It is uncommon, on the courses near me, that an extra 25' to 50' is worth the risk and usually just throw the leopard.

I know the FPO are playing harder courses, but an all par risk adverse strategy would have given a top 10 finish at the last big tournament. Meaning I dont think they have to take the risk of going for max distance in order to be competitive. I would love to see how a female would do against the field, relying on a 300' straight shot with a leopard for most drives.