• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc stink comes and goes

Dr. Bogey

Birdie Member
I picked up a used GStar disc that has a bad case of disc stink. Not sure if it's cigarettes, pond odor, or what, although it doesn't have any of the staining that often comes with time spent in a pond, so I'm leaning toward cigarettes. When I leave it outside for a few days the odor virtually disappears, but it gradually comes back after it's been inside for a few days. Is there any way to get rid of the smell for good? Do I just need to go through several outside/inside cycles?

I picked up a used GStar disc that has a bad case of disc stink. Not sure if it's cigarettes, pond odor, or what, although it doesn't have any of the staining that often comes with time spent in a pond, so I'm leaning toward cigarettes. When I leave it outside for a few days the odor virtually disappears, but it gradually comes back after it's been inside for a few days. Is there any way to get rid of the smell for good? Do I just need to go through several outside/inside cycles?

Try leaving it inside a freezer bag filled with baking soda. Can't say it will work for sure, but probably won't hurt. I am not a chemist, so I do not know what effect baking soda would have on plastic over time.

But the smell has obviously leached into the plastic and it may be there forever. The only way to remove it is if something pulls the smell out.

I've had success soaking a disc in a mix of 25% bleach 75% water for a few hours, once I left in in for 12. But that has been pond smell where the bleach will kill any scum. Might be worth a try. It cleans discs really well too that are hard to clean. Just let the bleach do it's thing.

Try leaving it inside a freezer bag filled with baking soda. Can't say it will work for sure, but probably won't hurt. I am not a chemist, so I do not know what effect baking soda would have on plastic over time.

But the smell has obviously leached into the plastic and it may be there forever. The only way to remove it is if something pulls the smell out.

That's a good idea. I'd be interested to see if it works.

There's a pet odor treatment called D-Stroy. It contains a phenol solution and is quite effective. I'd be concerned that bleach would dry out a disc and shorten it's life.

Cigarettes OR pond odor? Those seem pretty different.

It may be some other skunky, green smokable scent you're detecting ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably give the baking soda a try just because it's easy, and possibly the other products. Or maybe this disc will just live most of its life outdoors. A few days outside really does work wonders, albeit temporarily.

Someone's gotts make a disc destinker.
A box with a fan on one side that forces air through a dryer sheet and over/around the disc, then out the other side.
That should work as an air-"freshener" as well.

Last edited:
Some plastic blends just stink especially if they come in contact with the wrong chemicals and start out-gassing, if you've ever smelled butylene over-molds on tools that got gas and oil on them it breaks down and smells absolutely rotten.

But the stink makes them easier to find in the weeds. :|

Had a cheap Nalgene bottle with a stink and I put warm water and cheap salt in there overnight. I think the salt pulled the smell out.

I have some dyed Discs I used with cocoa butter lotion over two years ago and they still smell like cocoa butter. I wonder if that would mask a nasty smell though?

In other news, my son's "Cheese Roc" (so named because it's the color of cheese) from my winnings in a 2005 tournament now smells like crayons. It's his flippy Roc.

I have some dyed Discs I used with cocoa butter lotion over two years ago and they still smell like cocoa butter. I wonder if that would mask a nasty smell though?

In other news, my son's "Cheese Roc" (so named because it's the color of cheese) from my winnings in a 2005 tournament now smells like crayons. It's his flippy Roc.

did you ever put crayons on the heat register as a kid, then put them in your nose? asking for a friend.....

Used....stinks.....

Life is too short, throw it away/give it away and go get a new disc.

What you said! I had a disc that I really counted on. Here in Arizona, we have courses where horses also travel and do their thing...along with dogs doing their things. I had a disc that must have landed/rolled/whatever through a pile and then slid/rolled/skipped further. When I got to the disc I saw some "dirt" on it and, when I picked it up, I could smell it. Luckily, I didn't pick it up where the "dirt" was. I rubbed it on the ground and poured water over it...got it pretty clean. But it still smelled. Got it home and tried different things to clean it, but finally called it a lost cause and into the trash it went. Then I got a replacement for it.