• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc you will no longer order?

PMantle

* Ace Member *
I have limited access to seeing discs in person. That's basically Academy, and whatever disc seller comes to tournaments. Too much variation in some molds for me to continue taking chances. Are there any you refuse to order now? Mine would be Destroyer, Mayhem and Shryke. If I cannot see the profile, I will no longer buy.

Wraith, Comet , FD, PD, probably more. Luckily I have several shops to choose from.

I am new to FDs and love them. What do you look for in them? Same for Wraith-do the Destroyer rules apply?

I don't like much dome on anything except Comets so I doubt we're aligned on that. There aren't really flat FDs but some are flatter than others. Most fly pretty similar with some outlier OS runs.

For the past couple of years, Pigs.

Pigs are supposed to be flat or even a little puddle topped. No way am I gambling online. Way too many domey Pigs these days.

I'd say distance drivers in general. I want flat overstable drivers and domey understable drivers. It just seems like molds vary quite a bit once you get above Speed 9.

Dynamic Discs Witness. Oh wait....that's because it is OOP.

Seriously though, I'm not buying anything higher than 8 speed (online or in store). My noodle arm likes 7 and below....but I can get away with some 8 speeds. But I'm going to buy in a store now....online, the disc might not feel right in my hand and I'd have to go through the pain of returning it.

I have limited access to seeing discs in person. That's basically Academy, and whatever disc seller comes to tournaments. Too much variation in some molds for me to continue taking chances. Are there any you refuse to order now? Mine would be Destroyer, Mayhem and Shryke. If I cannot see the profile, I will no longer buy.

Just call and talk to somebody in person about what you want. I bought a Gateway Diablo and wanted multiples, I called gateway and got 5 that were just like it. Disc N Dat is also a retailer I have called and asked them to " feel up" discs for me.

You guys sound like me with hoppy beers. If it wasn't brewed within the past 2 months, I'm not buying it.

I greatly prefer flat discs, but have come to accept that it's a total crap shoot unless you are buying in person.

I try to buy all my Wizards in person if possible. I highly prefer (and often times can only throw well) the Wizards with a flatter shoulder. Putting isn't as bad with a slightly rounder rim, but for 99% of my shots, I have to have a flatter top.

Wizards come in so many different materials, and they are typically not the exact same every time. They need to be bought in brick-and-mortar stores IMO

I hate to say it, but pretty much any fast driver should be examined by hand before being purchased. Usually it comes down to dome for me. For anything other than grossly overstable discs, I want a good dome. Sometimes you see Destroyers (or whatever) that are super flat. You can tell just holding the thing that it isn't going to work.

Anyone who has thrown many different drivers knows what they're looking for, and will usually accept or discard discs quickly.

Buying online is worse. You really have no idea what you're getting.

I threw a plasma Mayhem recently. Beautiful disc. However, it was a little too flat, and it flew like a brick. No glide, and all beef.

The Innova Yeti Pro Aviar, it used to be a pretty consistent mold recently finding concave Yetis is difficult, all the new ones i find are flat and more glidey then the concave ones.

I'm new to the game, but I decided I am not spending over $15 on a disc from ANYWHERE, if I cannot see a photo of the disc I am getting. Not dealing with the "disc and stamp color may vary" BS for the money and shipping fees. This includes these limited drops like the Robo Chicken Buzzz yesterday. So I need to drop $25+ and I don't even know what you are sending me on color, stamp, quality etc? Nope. I think we have to demand better. I tend to buy from the shops where I can at least see what I am getting so that I am not immediately dissapointed.

This issue is really the reason I throw the same mold as much as possible. I throw shrykes a ton...so whether it's flat or domey...that just determines which slot in my bag it goes in...the flat slot or the domey slot.

For discs that I'm concerned about the profile, if I can't make it to a store I'll check out Disc Golf Center - when you click on the picture of the disc, it shows the disc profile

Why this hasn't become industry standard practice both baffles and bugs me. I've been voting with my wallet by doing most of my disc ordering with discgolfcenter.