• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DISCatcher Sport or a DB-5

Which basket would to choose?

• DISCatcher Sport

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Lightning DB-5

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Please explain in comments)

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
i would recommend NOT leaving it outside at all for more than a day for when night time comes it will get wet from the dew.

That's my main concern. I would like to build my own private course one day, so if I went with the DB-5, I think I could use it then as well with no problem of leaving it outside.

It wasn't that bad, you got it out of the box and assembled under 5 minutes. Have you done anything to deaden the sound?

And I figured out that the small chrome pieces it to stack the whole thing around for travel. Still love this basket. I like the sound much better than my Discatcher Sport that I won recently. Love having two baskets as well... doubles the amount of practice I can get in.

Reminds me I need to do a review video and I show them side-by-side.

I don't see it on GGGT, but it is on discgolfstation for $260 free shipping

BUMMER! I knew I was getting a good deal, but I had no idea I was stealing it. I recall calling them to be sure I was getting the top-tier model and not the "lite" version... thought it was a misprint on the site or something. I was assured that it was the real deal and the right price.

Sounds like the fixed their mistake because at that time, it was the clear winner on pricing and features.

BUMMER! I knew I was getting a good deal, but I had no idea I was stealing it. I recall calling them to be sure I was getting the top-tier model and not the "lite" version... thought it was a misprint on the site or something. I was assured that it was the real deal and the right price.

Sounds like the fixed their mistake because at that time, it was the clear winner on pricing and features.

I won as far as basket steals go...
I got a DGA Mach-Lite for $50 on craigslist. Guy said he'd only used it once or twice. When I looked at it, I wondered if by used, he meant he set it up once just to see, and then put it away.

When I called him, I told him I could be there to pick up right then, but he had a guy already coming for it that day. An hour later, he called me and said the first guy was stuck in traffic 4 hours from our town, and if I still could come, it was mine. :hfive:

I faced a similar predicament a few months ago and I went for the Disc Nation Liberty basket, and have been super pleased with it. I think it is much better quality then either the DB-5 or the DISCatcher sport, and is only slightly more expensive. It has 24 chains in two rows, and heavy duty tubing. It is a full park quality basket, it will not break and it catches discs very well. The only downside is that it is heavy, but at least you get a work-out every time you move it.
Disc Nation also makes the Freedom which only has 16 chains and is less expensive, DD has it listed for $219, but it is the same quality as the Liberty.

have you had any trouble with it rusting or the bolt rusting to where you can't take it apart?

here is a couple pics of what i did to my Innova-Discatcher-Sport to make it more portable/transport friendly

i changed the phillips screws to stainless allen bolts
then made an allen wrench holder on the back of the eyebolt for the added chains (also showing how i added 6 inner chains)

Attachments

• allen wrench holder.jpg
    allen wrench holder.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 78
  • basket mods.jpg
    basket mods.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 81
I faced a similar predicament a few months ago and I went for the Disc Nation Liberty basket, and have been super pleased with it.

I've heard a lot of people talking about that basket. it sounds great, but I'm not too fond of the price, lol. Disc Nation has it for $279. I would like to see a comparison of the DB-5 and the 16 chain basket.

here is a couple pics of what i did to my Innova-Discatcher-Sport to make it more portable/transport friendly

i changed the phillips screws to stainless allen bolts
then made an allen wrench holder on the back of the eyebolt for the added chains (also showing how i added 6 inner chains)

I actually saw those picture in another tread. I REALLY like what you've done with the added chains and attaching the allen wrench.

quick db5 and disc nation freedom (own a freedom, lots of practice on a buddies db5) the finish on the freedom is much cleaner (welds etc.) the nubs of the db are pretty hard on putters. both are durable and about as weather resistant as any thing out there. I live in WAshington state so my always outdoors Freedom shows no sign of rust(neither does the db5). The freedom seems to catch a bit better due to the way the chains are attatched at the top of the basket. the tear drop shape allows the chains to move and absorb impact a little better. disc nation puts these on sale a couple times a year for $179 (+$20 shipping). I got mine on black friday for $159(free shipping). the disc golf store (disc nations sister shop)has them for $219 (free shipping) all year

I just won a Discatcher Sport at a tournament and so far, it's awesome! It catches very well despite the single row of chains. I don't think it needs a second set, but I looked into it and would only cost ~$20 extra. I have never used a DB-5.

quick db5 and disc nation freedom (own a freedom, lots of practice on a buddies db5) the finish on the freedom is much cleaner (welds etc.) the nubs of the db are pretty hard on putters. both are durable and about as weather resistant as any thing out there. I live in WAshington state so my always outdoors Freedom shows no sign of rust(neither does the db5). The freedom seems to catch a bit better due to the way the chains are attatched at the top of the basket. the tear drop shape allows the chains to move and absorb impact a little better. disc nation puts these on sale a couple times a year for $179 (+$20 shipping). I got mine on black friday for $159(free shipping). the disc golf store (disc nations sister shop)has them for $219 (free shipping) all year

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll definitely look into That basket a little more. It's a tad cheaper, so I could easily buy some inner chains.

I would like to build my own private course one day, so if I went with the DB-5, I think I could use it then as well with no problem of leaving it outside.
I would agree with you on this one
I have a course built here at the house but i built my own baskets, like the one at hornings' hideout
so the sport is better for me

Attachments

• 2013-06-01_12-56-58_228.jpg
    2013-06-01_12-56-58_228.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 24
I've heard a lot of people talking about that basket. it sounds great, but I'm not too fond of the price, lol. Disc Nation has it for $279. I would like to see a comparison of the DB-5 and the 16 chain basket.

The DB-5 is about $50 cheaper, but when I looked at the top chain assembly I realized where the extra $50 went. The DB is awesome and if it comes down to choice between the DB and the DISCatcher sport I would take the DB any day of the week, but the Liberty is frigging rad. I personally also wanted the 24 chains as opposed to the 18 on the DB and the 16 on the Freedom. That was just a personal choice but I figured if I was going to drop almost $300 anyway I might as well buy the best I could.

Latest posts