• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a newb with a basket choice.

admiralburns

Hello folks. First day here, second post. I hadn't played in a few years since having kids and I got out yesterday. I've realized I want to get out more, and that I want a basket in my yard.

I want something that is robust and quite weatherproof, but movable from place to place. I was thinking of an Innova Discatcher Sport 24 but saw a few reviews with some broken parts and rust.

I'm planning on leaving it outside and using it pretty often. I don't want to pack it up and put it inside each time, and maybe not even in winter (I'll throw a grill cover over it in winter). So I want something that is quite weather resistant and durable, with good performance.

Would something like the DGA Mach II be a better choice? It appears that it's "hot dipped" galvanized, which is supposedly near the gold standard for weather resistance, at least at this price point, correct? It's not THAT much more $ than the Discatcher Sport so if it is more durable with equal performance, it's worth it to me.

I was also comparing the "Grow the Sport" Version 2.0. It looks like it has the advantage of more chains (compared to the DGA) but that it is powder coated (as opposed to galvanized) and NOT galvanized under the powder coat.

So I'm leaning toward DGA Mach II, and I can always just add chains.

Let me know if you guys have some input, thanks!

A MKII is a perfectly fine basket...especially for the price! The grump that some people have with it is it "doesn't catch as well as the more expensive ones". And while that MAY be true (depending on your putting style), if you practice on that one once you do play on 'fancier ones' maybe even more putts will drop, i.e. practice tough and be pleasantly surprised during play!

I've got 4 discatcher sports that are out uncovered all year in the northeast with snow, rain and summer heat. I've had the longest one for 7 years and is just starting to show a little rust at some of the joints but giving me no issues at all.

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful. I'm also looking at a DD Patriot now. It has more chains than the Mach II and I really like the white powder coat in terms of visibility (and it just looks nice to me). I'm leaning toward the Mach II or Patriot over the discatcher sport. They aren't all that much more $ considering I'm planning to keep this for a very, very long time, and they are seemingly weather proof.

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful. I'm also looking at a DD Patriot now. It has more chains than the Mach II and I really like the white powder coat in terms of visibility (and it just looks nice to me). I'm leaning toward the Mach II or Patriot over the discatcher sport. They aren't all that much more $ considering I'm planning to keep this for a very, very long time, and they are seemingly weather proof.

My run for the money is the Lighting DB-5 for $200 new, as those are good all weather leave and sit disc baskets and one of the most durable baskets on the market. For a bit more like $40 to be at the price of Mach II you can add second set of chains to the inner top rim. If you measure right the ring for the outer set of chains can be used for the inner chains and hang at the spot the rings sit at. This Basket is only Sold through Gotta Go Gotta Throw. Lots of courses use the Lighting DB-5 baskets with an extra set of chains on the inner top ring or later get used from anther course upgrading, some top chain Assembly that is at least a double set of chains.

Last edited:
I use a DD Veteran portable. It has twenty eight 18-8 stainless chains, and makes a very distinct sound compared to just plain galvanized :) I paid $400 2 years ago and was money well spent imo.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Mach II (they are on backorder, arriving "mid-march"). Two things clenched it for me. First, the price point to durability / quality ratio. Second, I played on a course with Mach III's today and had a chance to get a close look at those baskets closely. I know they are significantly different models in terms of number of chains and a couple other issues, but it gave me confidence in build quality. Thanks for the advice folks.

If you guys have advice on adding chains lemme know...or I'll just figure it out.

Oh, one other thing drove the decision. The more I think about this, I may end up wanting two baskets. Factoring that in, the cost difference becomes more significant. For example, two mach ii's is approx $480. 2 mach v's is more like $740...yikes.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Mach II (they are on backorder, arriving "mid-march"). Two things clenched it for me. First, the price point to durability / quality ratio. Second, I played on a course with Mach III's today and had a chance to get a close look at those baskets closely. I know they are significantly different models in terms of number of chains and a couple other issues, but it gave me confidence in build quality. Thanks for the advice folks.

If you guys have advice on adding chains lemme know...or I'll just figure it out.

Mid March? Dose DGA know the month it is? Or does DGA think that the only essentials order for manufacturing in Michigan will be until 2021?

I think you will be pleased with your Mach II. I bought a used Discatcher Sport several years ago and moved it inside and out of the garage for the first summer, then when Iowa winter came I moved it to the basement for indoor practice and liked there so much that I have never brought it back outside. I live 10 minutes from the local course so I can just drive there for extended practice in the summer. The Discatcher Sport has served me well, but I have added chains and also beefed up the chain hanger brackets as they would bend during longer distance putting practice sessions. Then, later on I won a Dynamic Disc Marksman in a drawing and love it. It's a smaller sized putting basket but is built super heavy, like a little tank. You will soon reap the rewards of having a basket at home for more putting practice, makes a big difference.

I also have a DB-5 had it for like 10 years. No rust but it is much heavier than the sports i have. It also is the only one i've had to have repaired. I'm our clubs president and very often brought baskets out for clinics and setting up at community events. The DB-5 welds don't seem as strong as others. Being put in my truck a few times the bars holding the chains have broke their welds. I currently have few zip tied. I have to get them spot welded again.

I also have a DB-5 had it for like 10 years. No rust but it is much heavier than the sports i have. It also is the only one i've had to have repaired. I'm our clubs president and very often brought baskets out for clinics and setting up at community events. The DB-5 welds don't seem as strong as others. Being put in my truck a few times the bars holding the chains have broke their welds. I currently have few zip tied. I have to get them spot welded again.

What part is the bar, holding the chains? Is that the Ring at the bottom of chains? the way the inner ring on the top comes off the arms that at end hold the chains? :confused:

What part is the bar, holding the chains? Is that the Ring at the bottom of chains? the way the inner ring on the top comes off the arms that at end hold the chains? :confused:

The bars that come off the center and hold the chains have broken the welds and have come loose.

Every zip tie is a broken weld.

aa3d85de1c50.jpg

Bought a cheaper basket and it was fine but started rusting in weeks. I now have 2 Mach IIs and am very happy. They seem bullet proof and can be carried around the yard. I don't really have spit thoughts but definitely bounce out when hitting the pole too hard. Doesn't bother me though as it's for practice and I wanted something quality that I could keep outside year round.

I don't know the difference in basket types, but my suggestion would be to check out what your local course uses and get that. In my limited experience and hearing from more experienced players; different baskets/chains can react differently. I've heard "x basket grabs the disc better than z basket". So having the same basket to practice with as what is used on your "home" course would be beneficial (IMO).

Latest posts