• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolf competition

Handgolf can't be far behind. Lord knows, pocket pool has been around for centuries. :D

I feel like a ball that curves more would make it way more fun and open up more possibilities, or just use an old ball those curve a ton more

I'm not sure how much fun kicking a ball for 18 holes would be for those of us with no soccer skills. How far can you really ki k a soccer ball?

It might get popular in Europe and South America because of how insanely popular soccer is in those areas. Probably not so much here in the US. This reminds me of this time I went out to lunch with some guys from work during World Cup or whatever they call the big soccer championships. Two of the guys were from South America (One from Peru, the other from El Ecuador or something) and were really into the games (they were showing them on TV at the restaurant). They were trying to explain how soccer is the most popular sport in the world (and I'm sure it is). It was pretty funny explaining to them that here in the US soccer is more of a girly sport, kinda like figure skating. They didn't think it was too funny, though...

One of the middle schools in town recently put in 9 baskets.

I was playing a round one day and saw some of the soccer players kicking balls into the baskets.

Seemed like a cool idea.

I've often thought a "Punt, Pass, & Kick" round would be fun... Played with a nerf football on a DG course, the least throws and kicks wins.

Didn't we have a thread on this game already? Oh yeah, a brief one.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96854

Here's a little video for you.

Sounds like they're going to have the same integration problems with ball golf that we are.

But Renner said that at Gem Lake last year, the two sports didn't mix easily. Though footgolf cups are placed in the rough and players are prohibited from wearing soccer shoes or spikes to avoid damaging greens, he said the two games have different cultures.

"The big challenge we had is that it's a different game, with a different market, and it plays faster than golf does," he said. "With the footgolfers being primarily soccer players, they come dressed as soccer players, and they ... hustle between holes. It's not quite as formal as golf.

"People kind of make the rules as they go. There are formal rules in other states, but we didn't emphasize those because we weren't interested in creating new barriers."

Last year, Gem Lake advertised footgolf in its marketing emails to regular golfers. This year, Renner said, the course is going to define times for footgolf so it doesn't interfere with golf, aiming to attract soccer teams or birthday parties that can use the course just for footgolf.

Sound familiar?

You know, if you think about it, you could integrate a footgolf course with a disc golf course a whole lot easier, and I think the former would be a lot more fun with all those obstacles in the way.

Yeah, there was a thread about this a few months back...

Here's the official website.

There was going to be a tourney here, but the city of Rohnert Park vetoed the idea. They were concerned about damaging the city owned golf course. Funny because the vendor who runs the course has been losing money for a couple of years and they wanted to bring in the new sport to raise more money for the city so they could help maintain the course better.

I would have been all over this sport when I was younger. The Blockhouse used to have a tourney like this with american footballs.

My wife's cousins in Argentina are all into futgolf and when they came here I taught them disc golf and they introduced me to footgolf. Now it has a couple courses here in Florida already. I'm supposed to go with my father in-law (Argentinian soccer fanatic) to play a new footgolf course over in Clearwater area. It should be fun.

I've been working with my wife's cousins to get plastic down to South America there since he really enjoyed disc golf while he was here (I took him to 8 different courses in Florida). Hopefully his "futgolf club" is my gateway into helping disc golf become established in Argentina.. Brazil is already ahead of the game.

My wife's cousin already made a homemade basket and took it out to his footgolf club and gave his friends each a disc and they played disc golf after their footgolf league a few months back. I just need to get them more plastic and try to figure out a way to get them better equipment. Another cousin is coming here in April and I will be introducing him to DG as well and sending another shipment of plastic back with him so he can share with the footgolf club.

Footgolf tournaments outside the U.S. are sponsored by the likes of Heineken and have professional payouts way higher than disc golf. And the goofy socks and pants are part of the dress code apparently. lol

I really don't see how this is truly "competition" for disc golf as this is going to appeal to a whole 'nother subset of our culture. I cannot for the life of me see this being using on wooded disc golf courses like we have here in Michigan with all the rolling hills and whatnot. Trying to kick a ball that's wedged up against a 30" diameter oak cannot be a lot of fun. It appears to me that this sport is more likely to be used in areas that are consistently mowed and better manicured over what disc golf requires.

I've also wondered, what prevents these holes in the ground from becoming filled with water? Seems like a 20" diameter hole after an entire summer is going to be filled with all sorts of nastiness. :gross:

I will say there are plenty of parks out there that would be far better suited to "foot" golf rather than the disc golf course they currently have.

-Dave

Latest posts