• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolfcrazy's Form Check

discgolfcrazy

Eagle Member
So, its been quite some time since I have posted on the site, but I am getting back into it. I am 17, 5'11" 186lbs. I'm going to college next year and I plan on creating a collegiate team at wherever I go. I am now throwing 80% RHBH and I need a little more help with my form. First throw is 370' with a star eagle, second is 390' with a thunderbird, third is 430' with a star destroyer. The last couple throws were in a severe tail/crosswind(LtoR).
I noticed i was hyzering everything a little too much but that sees to be an easy fix. Please help me fix my form issues. Thank you in advance.(Plus a little RATM for you guys)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiovJdz0RqY

Last edited:
Looks like you are swinging around your body instead of straight through it, and aren't shifting your weight properly. Need to close up your stance and slow down and maintain better balance and posture to pivot your body out of the way more.

Should I start by focusing on keeping my right foot more left to keep my hips closed? I noticed that my front foot is planting almost perfectly lined up with my back foot. Will moving it over more so that my right heel is lined up with the front of my left foot help me from opening up?

Thank you for the help so far Sidewinder. I just have one more question. I noticed that in every form video ive had so far, I have always pulled around my body. How can that be fixed because im just not understanding this concept. How do I keep my upper body from not turning when I pull through. Isnt that part of the follow through. I just cant wrap my head around this. Im understanding the closed hips part, just not the straight pull through part.

You must shift your weight from behind first in sequence to give yourself room to pull through and keep your elbow further out/forward and turn shoulders back further. If you watch guys like Brinster throw, he moves from back right of the tee pad to the front left so he's more closed and widening his arc to the left side. When you pull before weightshift you shorten the arc and can only throw hyzer and likely your upper arm/elbow is too close to your chest(hugging yourself) to pull straight.

After watching the first video, i think the whole punching aspect really might have helped. Lets say im starting from a standstill. So your hips are closed and your arm is reached back. You start the sequence by shooting your hip into a rotation which in turn starts your upper body on a straight line. When your right elbow reaches just past your shoulder and your elbow is about a foot and a half away from your chest your chest should still be square and your hips are now in the same orientation as your chest . After that i am releasing the disc fully extended in front of me and my hips are parallel to the front of the teepad, then i follow through allowing my shoulder to open. Ive noticed that on steves drive, his hips do the work and start first and finish first. His upper body just follows. I think i have been trying to link my hips and arm to go at the same time. Is the key to keep your shoulder square for as long as possible. Is my whole problem with the wrapping around due to me opening my shoulder way too early causing me to spin around the disc instead of pulling it through my body. So instead of pulling through my body, im moving my body out of the way and losing power. I know this is really long winded but Im really just trying to explain my thought process in the most coherent way possible. I want to do it right the first time. Thank you for your excellent answers and videos and for posting them so quickly

I think you are starting to get it. Weightshift into braced front side is numero uno in the sequence, then turn/swing from the ground up.

Latest posts