• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

My bag until I consistently hit 310+ with my fairways:

Aviar Putter
Wasp
Coyote
Teebird
Leopard

Then I went nuts with discs and had about 20 in 15 molds. Then I went back to:

Magic
Voodoo
Wasp
Buzzz
Coyote
Gazelle
Teebird
Predator
Valkyrie

I'm still nuts but it's the 8 molds in my signature, playing with 2 more that will not increase the number, but replace some. I have small (6 discs) mid (13 discs) and large (20 discs) bag configurations based on those 8 molds. I don't miss the extras or the high speed stuff.

It's a worthy task to "disc down" to the minimums and rebuild the bag, so to speak.

i've been doing field work and practice rounds at my home course with nothing faster than a teebird. it's helping. alot.

i'm hitting greens/landing zones with my teebirds and jls' that i used to 'need' an orc to get to, and am throwing rocs and putters off tees i used to throw fairways, or even drivers, from.

there's a reason that it's pretty common advice- it's because it's effective. do it!

toothyfish said:
That's a really good feeling, isn't it. :clap:

fo' sho'...except i'm having to bite my tongue all too often to stop from smugly pointing this out to my compadres who are throwing speed10+ plastic on 300' holes. i'm turning in to that guy...but at least my scores are going down!

fo' sho'...except i'm having to bite my tongue all too often to stop from smugly pointing this out to my compadres who are throwing speed10+ plastic on 300' holes.
It's more fun to let them realize it on their own.

I'll also agree that when you do this you should limit yourself to speed 7 or less (I recommend speed 6) with the possible exception of a really overstable disc (Firebird, Pred, Spirit, Monster, ect.). Speed 10 discs are way too fast to get the benefits from this exercise. Speed 9 discs are marginal and I wouldn't recommend them until you're getting some sort of decent results (330'-350' with your speed 6 discs). Your paitence will be rewarded.

I have added some fast discs, faster than my Teebird, outside my Firebird and I dont really think I need them BH just yet, but they serve as good FH discs for me to try.

Really, even Forehand, I dont need anything faster than a Teebird, save for maybe my Firebird or Flick I like of thumbers, and the Firebird does a nice sweeping hyzer. I want to push it out more so I think I am going to go back to my Core, Warrior, and Banger-GT, which should be able to cover most shots.

Starfire and Viking are both somewhat overstable. Noticed though you have no Orc or Beast, maybe you need one.

I don't quite get it, the valkyrie is one of the longest drivers ever made!
Viking starfire, and sidewinder are also all distance drivers aren't they?

Stick with it man. I thought it was such a crazy concept to take out the fast drivers, but I'm so glad I have. I went one step further and took out everything except my Wizard & Rocs. I then added some DX leopards to the mix, and I was atonished at how far I could throw them. I wrote them off as beginner discs, and now they are one of my favorite discs.

It was SO frustrating for me at first, and I just thought it was all a BS. All I can say is it has paid off tremendously. I belive Scott Stokely said something along the lines of "throw the slowest disc possible that will get your shot where you want it" and I'm convinced now.

I just wish I would have stayed away from the fast stuff when I started taking this sport seriously.:wall:

I would think he is trying to improve his overall form, technique, and accuracy looking to gain distance in the future when he picks the fast drivers back up....

More or less spot on. I threw my 5 Nebs in the field for about an hour today and they told me something I've been suspecting. My form is all out of whack.

I should clarify that I use the Starfire for FH and OH only.

Also, speed 9 is about the tipping point to where I lose accuracy, so the Viking, etc aren't really too fast for me. I'm using it, the Valk (really beat in), and the S PD solely for wide open rips now which for the courses around me means they'll only get thrown ~ 3-4 holes.

I don't quite get it, the valkyrie is one of the longest drivers ever made!
Viking starfire, and sidewinder are also all distance drivers aren't they?

When they were first released, they were distance drivers. Now with speed 13 discs, they're not so much of a distance driver. And the Valk still holds the record for longest throw ever (in the air), but it's not a disc that you can get consistently long distance from, unless your form is great. So these guys are concentrating on form by using slower discs (which show good or bad form in their flight path more clearly than faster discs do), and then when their form has noticeably improved, they'll be able to throw the faster discs even further, as well as being able to throw the slower discs further.

Is the Katana an anomoly to the rule?

As a beginner who only throws 250 with fairway drivers but 290 with the katana, why wouldn't I use it? It has tons of glide and very little fade just like my eagle but much further.

As a beginner who only throws 250 with fairway drivers but 290 with the katana, why wouldn't I use it? It has tons of glide and very little fade just like my eagle but much further.

Its funny I hear this about the Katana all the time, but when I had mine (traded) I would throw it around 300' (all of 2 or 3 times I threw it) and it would just hyzer out at that distance not going any further than my Teebird. And it was in Pro plastic....

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question. No

We're not saying don't use discs you like, or love.

We're saying that during times when you're actively looking to improve. You're not just playing rounds, you're practicing, you're working on form, you're real goal is to IMPROVE your game not get a good score on this course...then a good method for improving is to try and get your slower discs out as far as you can.

You just can't throw a wizard or challenger with terrible form and get it to sail 258 feet...you just can't. Or at least not often.

I throw speed 4 discs where I used to throw speed 9 now and speed 1 discs where I used to throw speed 4.

The farther out you get slow discs...the longer those distance discs become.

We are not, in any way, saying you shouldn't throw something that you like!

I've already been through this, and I keep a lot of mids and putters and several fairways around. Very few "distance drivers" But right now I'm working on a new challenger: 150 class. I'm trying out all kinds of discs in 150 class. Some of those big drivers are a whole new beast in such light weights.

\/\/

I've thought about doing alot recently and it seems like a good way to improve in the offseason, especially withy my fairway drivers. I think my bag for the next couple of weeks will be this:

Banshee
Teebird
Leopard
Gator
New Roc
Beat Roc
KC Aviar

We're not saying don't use discs you like, or love.

We're saying that during times when you're actively looking to improve. You're not just playing rounds, you're practicing, you're working on form, you're real goal is to IMPROVE your game not get a good score on this course...then a good method for improving is to try and get your slower discs out as far as you can.

You just can't throw a wizard or challenger with terrible form and get it to sail 258 feet...you just can't. Or at least not often.

I throw speed 4 discs where I used to throw speed 9 now and speed 1 discs where I used to throw speed 4.

The farther out you get slow discs...the longer those distance discs become.

We are not, in any way, saying you shouldn't throw something that you like!

I've already been through this, and I keep a lot of mids and putters and several fairways around. Very few "distance drivers" But right now I'm working on a new challenger: 150 class. I'm trying out all kinds of discs in 150 class. Some of those big drivers are a whole new beast in such light weights.

\/\/

A much better answer than my simple "No" lol

I got a call while typing, so, it is what it is.

It's fine. Go ahead on wide open holes where it makes sense. BUT...

Continue to work with your mids and develop good form. Learn to control them for more accurate shots, eventually at the same distance.

The true problem becomes always going for the big driver to get that type of distance and neglect to improve your form. The big disc will get it for you and mask issues that hinder your long term improvement. After some time of practice, you'll get your eagle out to 290, and then into the low 300's. Soon you'll see your mids approach the upper 200's.

FWIW, 300 ft has always been a milestone distance for me. I broke it the first time with a Valkyrie. Then with a Teebird. Then with a Gazelle. I'm close now with a Roc, and will start to push my Voodoos and see...then transfer the super clean snap and release I've learned and look to get Avengers and Valkyries up near 400.

Last edited:
I've thought about doing alot recently and it seems like a good way to improve in the offseason, especially withy my fairway drivers. I think my bag for the next couple of weeks will be this:

Banshee
Teebird
Leopard
Gator
New Roc
Beat Roc
KC Aviar

That's a great setup in my opinion. My "downsized" bag looked alot like that when I ditched my speed drivers to work on my technique.

I'll give you a little challenge with that if I may. See if you can cover your normal Gator shots with your Banshee.

Hey Dave,

The Innova Viper is a great but slow overstable fairway driver. I cannot live without mine.