• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Amidst all this malarkey about mids, putters, and fairway drivers helping your game I realized that I'm the perfect guinea pig for a case study. Since I'm wildly erratic (throw 400' one day, struggle to break 330' the next) I'm tossing out all the distance drivers out of my bag for awhile.

My bag will now consist of:
1 Star Starfire
1 Champ Viking
1 Champ Valk
1 Star Sidewinder
1 SPD
2 Z Stalkers
1 Star TL
1 JLS
5 Nebulas (gotta fill up a tourney bag somehow)
2 QMSs
1 Star Skeeter
1 beat to hell flippy POS Champ Monarch (the only speed 10)
and a champ Eagle X to be added later

and putters. (SSS Voodoo [actually pretty stiff] and a SSS Magic)

Goodbye Surges, Surge SS, and Halo.

We'll see how much truth the DGR faithful hold, I suspect quite a bit.

Let the experiment begin.

Only one overstable driver? Would it anger the DGR Gods if you threw a slow overstable driver?

I guess I could snag a Banshee. I'd like to add a Drone too but I'm waiting for these rumored Z Nebulas to come out to try and fill my overstable mid slot. I make do pretty well for not having anything super overstable in my bag.

What kinds of shots are you throwing with the TL and the JLS?

I have both and have been debating whether or not it's worth keeping both in my bag.

What kinds of shots are you throwing with the TL and the JLS?

I have both and have been debating whether or not it's worth keeping both in my bag.

The JLS is honestly just filler right now. It's slightly flippier than the TL and I'll bust the occasional hyzerflip with it. The TL is crucial however. I use it for straight to turnovers. My TL is especially good for turnovers where I need it to just plane out and barely fade back at the end.

good idea...

but just so we know...
what are you trying to accomplish?
and what is your method?
(are you charting, logging, noting the distances in a field, course... or just only playing with those?)

i'm not quite sure what you are trying to do and accomplish... and i am not sure that your idea will serve your golf game to its best....

i look across your list and see that you will probably lose 10-20' of distance but gain a lot better accuracy.....

best of luck (none-the-less)

I would think he is trying to improve his overall form, technique, and accuracy looking to gain distance in the future when he picks the fast drivers back up....

I understand that a Viking isn't a super distance disc but val jankins uses a starfire for her main distance disc.

If you're discing down man up and do it. I played a ton of rounds this winter with wasp buzzz meteor challenger

Hell we played well doing putter rounds.

Occasionally I would use a banshee if wind was real bad.

Smart move. I've yet to see 400 ft of distance, but if you are having consistency iissues, stepping back and working out the "bugs" will pay dividends. It may be tempting to "cheat" and pull out big Molly for a long open hole, but remember why you are doing this. Throw with control, and don't try to rip the crap out of it on wide open long holes.

I reduced back to one Teebird and one Leopard as my only drivers for a while. Seemed under gunned on 480ft holes, yet was able to make par...now I throw my Valk at it......................and still only make par.

FWIW, I'd rather be capped at 330ft and know I can repeat it every time than be up and down.

I thought I only went half way when I kept the Leopard in the bag the last time. It helped, but I think I can do more by using my mids and putter only; which I am going to do next.

I will often keep my drivers limited, just so I stay consistent and play safe. Having a ton of options for drivers doesn't always help.

Today I'll be playing Parma which has several loooooong and moderately open holes...so I'm bringing a few drivers along for the trip. Light weights all of them: wraith, destroyer (for a flew shot only) tsunami.

All of the drivers are 150 class :)

\/\/

If you have shorter courses in the area, really disc down. You'll be surprised at your score just using a couple mids and a putter, trust me.

1 Star Starfire
1 Champ Viking
1 Champ Valk
1 Star Sidewinder
1 SPD
I've gone through the same thing and I'd drop these, too. They won't be doing you any favors until you figure out how to consistanly throw those other discs. The only reason I say to keep the Monarch is to practice hyzers with it. It's probably fun to throw downwind, too.

If you have shorter courses in the area, really disc down. You'll be surprised at your score just using a couple mids and a putter, trust me.

how short? my home course has most in the 190-230 range, and a couple 400?

My biggest improvements came when I started throwing nothing but my CE TL, my mids (Wasp, Buzzz, Buzzz SS), and my putters. It will be fustrating at first, but stick with it. I think you'll like the results. You will probably find yourself looking at holes much differently when you have the options of throwing slower plasitc.

I've done something similar. I've thrown out all disc that are over a 10 speed. I've even removed the 10 speeds that are 0 stable or more. I just don't have the arm speed to get them to fly the way they are meant too. The Orc and Monarch are the only 10 speed disc I carry. Here's what I have left in my bag after removing everything that's too much for me, from most highest speed/most stable down:

Champion Orc 168 gr.
Star Orc 175 gr.
Champion Firebird 165 gr.
Champion Valkyrie 175 gr.
Star Sidewinder 170 gr.
Star Roadrunner 167 gr.
ESP Stalker 168 gr. (the only Discraft in my bag)
Star Teebird 175 gr.
Dx Teebird 175 gr.
Champion Leopard 168 gr.
Dx Rancho Roc 172 gr.
Star Ontario Roc 180 gr.
Star Mako 180 gr.
Champion Coyote 177 gr.
Star Stingray 180 gr.
DX Stingray 180 gr.
R-Pro Hydra unknown wt.
DX XD putter 169 gr.
DX Aviar Putter 175 gr.
DX Aviar Putt and Aproach 175 gr.

At least this is what my bag consist of before I laid off with a bum shoulder. When I return In a few weeks I will probably use nothing faster than my Leopard.