• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dropping Innova for Discraft - what do I throw?

Stetz

Bogey Member
I'd like to try an all Discraft bag since I throw their mids/putters. I'd just be replacing fairways and distance drivers.
For context I throw around 400-425' with a star Destroyer & 325-375' with my Leopards & Teebirds.

I have a pretty simple fairway/driver setup.

2x Star Destroyers - 1 old and flippy, 1 new & more overstable.
3x Teebirds - 2 champ that I can throw for hyzers/flips and "straight" shots, 1 star that I use for left to right turnovers.
2x Leopard3's - both for slower anhyzers/hyzer flips.

I think I'd like something a little faster than my Destroyers, and then everything else similar to my current setup in ESP.

So, what am I putting in the cart to change my bag?

Other's can answer your actual question, I'm just curious why?

I don't really understand the need to voice this question everytime a thread like this gets posted. Is there any competitive advantage to only carry one brand? Of course not, but maybe he/she thinks it's fun? I don't see the need to put people in their place just because their decision makes no sense from a performance perspective. 99% of the players on this forum play for fun anyway and some thinks it's fun to change discs and try stuff like this.

I think I'd like something a little faster than my Destroyers, and then everything else similar to my current setup in ESP.

So, what am I putting in the cart to change my bag?

Something faster than the Destroyer would be the Nuke.

Discrafts fairway lineup is a bit different than Innovas and you won't find a direct replacement for those discs. For the shot shapes you describe for your fairways and your distance I'd say Undertaker for the Teebird slot and maybe a Heat for the Leopard slot. If you're leaning for more stability I'd say Vulture for the Teebird slot.

I haven't thrown the Passion but that might fit the bill as well, being a bit slower.

I don't really understand the need to voice this question everytime a thread like this gets posted. Is there any competitive advantage to only carry one brand? Of course not, but maybe he/she thinks it's fun? I don't see the need to put people in their place just because their decision makes no sense from a performance perspective. 99% of the players on this forum play for fun anyway and some thinks it's fun to change discs and try stuff like this.

Put people in their place? A bit presumptuous. I have no doubt it could happen, but I too am curious why the switch. It's not an interrogation, just a friendly discussion.

Put people in their place? A bit presumptuous. I have no doubt it could happen, but I too am curious why the switch. It's not an interrogation, just a friendly discussion.

It's definitely presumptuous and I apologize for that, I've just seen it time and time again in these threads and it often ends with somewhat shaming the OP for wanting to throw only one brand.

The fairways could be hard to replace. Are you open to DGA as well? Same plastics.

For neutral/ flippy I'd look at a pipeline or maybe even vortex. Vortex is going to be a good bit US, depending on how far you are throwing it. A Buzzz can push out pretty far and cover some some similar shots, IMOP, esp once beat. I had an old XL that I used and it was similar to a FD.

TB replacement is going to be something in the world of Undertaker, Vulture, and Anax. Those are all going to be faster speed 9ish fairways.

Destroyer replacement would be Force/ Zeus. Maybe a Hades for hyzer filp stuff until one of those gets beat up. Maybe a Hurricane?

It's definitely presumptuous and I apologize for that, I've just seen it time and time again in these threads and it often ends with somewhat shaming the OP for wanting to throw only one brand.

No doubt the internet is going to internet.

Honestly, I played pretty frequently from 2008-2012 then injured my knee (ACL/MCL) and kind of just stopped after rehabbing it. At the time all I threw (and still throw) was Innova drivers. I just recently started playing again about 4 months ago and when I went into my local disc golf shop it was a bit overwhelming with all the "new" molds/plastics/etc. I've always liked Discraft though, as I'll always keep a buzz, wasp, comet, zone in the bag. So I just figured why not give their drivers a shot, but seeing as I know nothing more than what the flight charts say about their "new" molds I figured I'd try and get some human feedback about fairways and DD's. Nothing more than that.

Stalker would be a good Teebird slot, maybe a little less stable off the shelf. I know the Heat is a higher speed, but it can do Leopard3 things. Sting is worth a look there too. Maybe less stable than the average Leopard. Thrasher is your flippy destroyer off the shelf. Others posts have you covered. I have t thrown a Nuke or Zeus.

I mostly play recreationally and occasionally just for a little variety I'll do things like the OP is doing and mix up or change the bag.

At one time I was putting with Roaches and also bagging Zones and Buzzz's so decided that for a few rounds I was going to put together an all Discraft bag. It was fun for about a week and my game wasn't any better or worse but once the novelty wore off I went back to my usual mixed bag.

For fairways I went with Undertakers and Vultures. I don't really think Discraft has a disc that really lines up with a Teebird but they have something sort of like a Leopard. The Sting maybe? Or is it the Mantis?

Other's can answer your actual question, I'm just curious why?
I think It's just one of those "how our brain works" things. It's an easy way to organize. If you want to try some new discs, there are just a ton out there. It's a lot easier to just focus and go "I'm going to throw all Discraft" or "I'm going to throw all MVP" and limit your selections than to ponder which of the 6,473 Destroyer clones that are out there you are going to try. So I tend to think it's not a big deal, I don't think people believe there is any competitive advantage to it. It's just how they are sorting through a lot of options.

Besides, at the end of the experiment they are going to go "yeah, I want my Leopards back." It will self-correct. :p

I'm all for trying new discs. I know there is one out there is a speed 7 with a 10 glide that will get me to 500 feet!

Does anyone make a disc called the Unicorn?

Besides, at the end of the experiment they are going to go "yeah, I want my Leopards back." It will self-correct. :p

It just kind of reminded me of a guy I work and play with. We both went down to Peoria to watch world's when McBeth won his fifth. He decided after that that he was going to build an all Discraft bag and he was betting me that it was going to shave strokes off his game. I had to hear about it all winter.

By about June of the next year he was back to Leopards and Sidewinders. 😁

Hah I'm not looking to shave strokes, or fill the bag w Discraft Bc of any pros, and the only way I'm getting any better is if I don't doink five 10' putts a round. I'm just bored with throwing the same stuff that's been in my bag for the last 14 years, and there are so many things in pretty new discs I haven't thrown yet so

Hah I'm not looking to shave strokes, or fill the bag w Discraft Bc of any pros, and the only way I'm getting any better is if I don't doink five 10' putts a round. I'm just bored with throwing the same stuff that's been in my bag for the last 14 years, and there are so many things in pretty new discs I haven't thrown yet so