• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

How many new molds are needed? Actually, how many molds are needed overall? There has to be a saturation point, even if only short term, in the market. Physically, in practical terms there is a limit, as well; sure there could be almost infinite variation by just adjusting various specs in 0.0001 mm increments :rolleyes:, but that is hardly practical.

So, having a Buzzz, how much can you improve it, and how can you do anything similar better? When you are at the top, then what? Like others have said, promotion and such, but in today's world, it seems everybody wants new, and the want it constantly. That is kinda hard to measure up with, and every disc manufacturer is gonna stumble, and maybe fall, on it eventually.... <shrug> :(

I was thinking about this the other day. There will come a time when there are just too many molds. Disc golf is young, and is in probably phase two of its life as a business. The first phase was formative: the beveled edge disc was discovered. The second phase maybe saw a proliferation of beveled edge discs. That's where I think we are now: the proliferation stage. What comes next when the market hits the saturation point? Who knows, but it's coming.

Then again: that's not the point. This isn't a philosophical argument, and it isn't a practical argument about who makes essential molds for use on the disc golf field. We're talking the business of disc golf here, and that's where I'm nervous about where Discraft is going in the disc golf market.

History in the game? Check. Great molds? Check. Continued growth within the disc golf market? ...

But they did..? Lets not live in a fantasy land-- If it was worth it to stay on the Discraft team why wouldn't he no matter what was being offered by anyone else.
Because unlike some of the other ship jumpers, he already had a tight alignment with DD long before they were a manufacturer. Several lesser known Discraft sponsored players who had vendor sponsorship through DD in this area also jumped to Trilogy. It was a logical arrangement.

Last year I saw threads about Prodigy, Gateway, Millennium (maybe?), ect. all not surviving a year. They, being Discraft, have sponsored more players in my region than any other company lately. They also worked with a friend when he hosted his first tournament. They may not be shoving out new plastic or molds, but I would say they are still significant.

Discraft is doing fine, they are focusing on plastic quality. I really like what I've seen lately, super nice grippy and firm discs. I am considering more of their molds now.

I also agree with the poster a few back about too many disc companies. I'm willing to bet half that are in business now won't be in 10 years. Their really is just so many that even someone like me has trouble even throwing a quarter the stuff out there.

I guess none of you have thrown a Mantis yet. I threw a round with one today for the first time, and really like it.

IMO, we've already reached the saturation point as far as disc design goes. But the market can still sustain all the new companies and molds because of the continuous influx of new players.

"back in the day" I watched many a DC instructional videos and threw their discs from the wildcat, impact, flash, crush and all the normal stuff too with lots of great molds, solid plastics, then DGA which has killer models to compliment their line up.

On the DG Answer Man video Emac responded to a question basically saying they need to do more for their players and in general. He didn't get into it much being they have 10 years of history together but I am on his side on feel like this company his missing out.

Central Coast Disc Golf (CCDG) Has done more IMO to promote Peter McBride who is a hell of a player and I believe recently gone to legacy. Its a shame a company with such a history isn't trying to capitalize on the market that's here. People still are talking about the antique comet on this site!

People seem to be missing the OP. I don't think AIM is talking about plastic per se, because they are still pumping out solid molds etc. They just aren't promoting and are very stagnant in that realm.

For example. On Facebook, I can usually count on seeing a post from either Innova, SpinTV, Discmania, Innova Pro Shop, DD and the other Trilogy related stuff almost daily whereas Discraft MIGHT have a single post in a week. And on YouTube, Innova and DD are kicking butt while the last Discraft vid that came out (if I remember right) wasn't even in 720p.

Last edited:
Looks like the last instructional video DC had was from a year ago when Scott Papa showed us how to putt.

Looks like the last instructional video DC had was from a year ago when Scott Papa showed us how to putt.

Dear god, that was the last one. I was hoping I missed one after that. Ugh. I remember watching that video and going to the little settings gear to change it to HD and it only went up to 480p. 480P!!!!!! Come on!!!!

I would assume that DC is heavily promoted in MI (and elsewhere), through tourneys, clinics, and at shops. You don't necessarily need a lot of videos to sell discs.

Ace Race. :doh:

Forgot about that little event that sells around 50,000 discs every year.

the ace races and memorial (great lakes open too I guess...) are really the best things they have going on throughout the year and done very well that's why its odd you don't see MORE of it essentially like their instructional videos and clinics etc. Do their top pros really even tour?!