• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for My Beginner Sister (Age 20)

Honest to Murgatroid, I learned on 165 DX Stingrays. Tried a Champ Stingray and was like, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Go with the DX. Don't know if the weight is critical, but I would avoid lower than 165. Those things are super flippy!!

does she forehand too? if so get a dx aviar, pro d buzzz and a dx teebird 165.

Like I said, we've only been out to the course a few times. She plays backhand, but I'd like to show her some forehand and overhand throws. I play mostly backhand myself.

I played a round with my sister on a beautiful day today. She seemed to like my Discraft Banger GT. So I'm thinking about getting her:

Innova Stingray ~165g
Discraft Banger GT 165g-170g

I'm also going to get a few discs to keep in my trunk for those spontaneous rounds or to loan to people. I'll give my sister the option to switch out one of her's for one of these if she wants.

Discraft Comet 160g-165g
Innova Aviar P&A 165g-170g

Any input? Comments? Suggestions?

I'm still new to DG and I've really taken a liking to the understable discs. I love my beat DX Wraith and my slightly worn in Champ Monarch for drives. The DX Shark is my disc of choice for longer approach shots. And I have a Big Bead Aviar that I like as well as an SSS Magic.

I'm a huge fan of leopards for beginners. They get great distance for low power but also give the newb just enough fade that they understand that they have to start correcting before it gets out of hand. Birdie's are my go to putter for any player I'm introducing to the game. It's an excellent disc with a traditional rim so they feel like the beach disc they're used to. Honestly I don't think approach discs are necessary for beginners because it just confuses them as to "when am I supposed to switch over?" A comfortable putter and a short understable driver are what I like to recommend.

I think it's good to give beginners a range of stability. That way they understand better that different discs do different things. So like a neutral putter, a neutral mid, an understable fairway driver, and a overstable fairway driver.

My wife likes a Stratus too, for driving, and a Birdie for putting (Deep rim helps with longer fingernails).

While the Comet is a great disc, it can also be a very frustrating disc as well. The Comet is very temperamental and, if/when you have technique flaws as any beginner would, the Comet tends to magnify those flaws. I'd stick with a Buzzz. Once Sis gets a little bit of the hang of the game and she starts to get "serious" then a Comet would be a great idea.

I's also say that you can't go wrong with a 150g Leopard. Great distance, great flexibility and its forgiving.

And its her birthday, don't skimp with cheap plastic. Get Champion or Z. The colors pop better and I think make for a better gift.

My wife got frustrated with lack of distance. What turned out to work best for her now is an Archangel 150, Squall 165, Katana Blizzard 132, and a Swan2 putter 173. The Katana Blizzard really perked her drives up. She is deadly with the Squall and Swan 2.

If she liked the banger, get her a banger. Putters are all about feel so if she likes the feel of it she'll do well with it. The banger works great for approach shots as well and would complement a DX Stingray nicely.

I'm a huge fan of leopards for beginners. They get great distance for low power but also give the newb just enough fade that they understand that they have to start correcting before it gets out of hand. Birdie's are my go to putter for any player I'm introducing to the game. It's an excellent disc with a traditional rim so they feel like the beach disc they're used to. Honestly I don't think approach discs are necessary for beginners because it just confuses them as to "when am I supposed to switch over?" A comfortable putter and a short understable driver are what I like to recommend.

As a woman, and watching many women start out, I have to disagree with this. Unless she is already getting good distance now, an understable mid would be a better starting point. My daughter is starting to throw with me a lot more now, and she is far more successful with a understable mid than the drivers.(Her drivers are 143 Leopard and a 150 TL)

A lot of women seem to have an extra step before the drivers, where they have better success with a good glidey mid like a Core,Fuse or even a Buzz. If you want to buy new, I would say a Buzz SS.

So I would personally stick with the understable Mid and Putter first.

Once she learns how to use her hips and legs in the throw, she will be ready for drivers.

As for me, I have been playing for nearly 10 years, and have tried many many different mids, and the Core and Buzz have been some of my favorites. I have only recently gotten enough power to fully appreciate a Roc. Before they were just a short overstable disc for me.

Lower weight Buzzz

A Putter she like the feel of...

And I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, Opto Diamond!

The diamond is a really fun disc for beginners and it is one she can continue to utilize as she improves her skills.

Lower weight Buzzz

A Putter she like the feel of...

And I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, Opto Diamond!

The diamond is a really fun disc for beginners and it is one she can continue to utilize as she improves her skills.

A Diamond in the 145-150 range is a lot better option than the Leopard that everyone always recommends but I think it's because they don't know anything about the Diamond. It's perfect for kids and even grown men and women new to DG.

Latest posts