• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs that fade to the left for a LHBH?

There are "left fading" discs at every level of power/distance, so there's no problem finding one you like. That said, there are several approaches to getting that left turn. The most basic is just an anny, but for those you will need some height/space to work with. Lots of discs will anny nicely and hold the line, with varying amounts of pulling out of it at the end of the flight (landing flat or straightening out a bit vs. hitting the ground on the same anny angle).

If you want a flat turn and/or sharper turns, then using a really understable disc (or overpowering a less-understable disc) is the way to go. Depending on the disc and the power you put into it, you'll need to experiment with varying angles of hyzer to flip it up and let it continue to turn...some discs will execute a nice flat turn from a flat throw (Stingray, Stratus, and Roadrunner, for example) but more often than not they'll want to flip and burn. It takes practice and experimenting, so a lot of people (right- or left-handed) don't really learn these shots and stick with basic anny or resort to forehand. As a lefty, I need these left-turning shots a lot and have spent tons of time in the field working these out...have gotten really good with them.

Offhand, I'll say the Katana is a really poor choice for this unless you have strong headwinds or can truly overpower it....it will hold an anny decently if you can get it reasonably up to speed, though. Give me an idea of the distance you need and where your power/distance is right now with some other discs and I can give you good recommendations. Otherwise, just practice with your less stable discs and learn the flip. Keep in mind that if you overpower a mid, for instance, and make it flip from hyzer to flat to turn, you'll see more distance from it compared to a normal throw/flight pattern. Also keep in mind that a whole bunch of discs can pull this shot, so you don't necessarily need the most understable rated discs, but those definitely have honored spots in a lefty's bag.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's because I throw a regular frisbee left handed, but a football/baseball right handed. I guess i'll just start practicing throwing forehand shots with my left hand. Lol it's going to be ugly for a while.

I am the same way, and I find backhand much easier to control.

For what it's worth, here is where I would go with discs that will turn left:

-Beat/light Roadrunner
-Beat TM River
-Light Opto Fuse

Many courses are designed for righties, so we LHBHers are at a disadvantage sometimes. I have found, in particular, the Fuse to be great at holding a turn, but it takes some finesse. Good luck!