• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Discs that finish right

Cigarman

So, I watch people on YouTube and often they throw discs that go straight or right and as they slow down the disc either drops straight down or continues right all the way to the ground. I have never, never ever had my throws do that, WTF? Could you give me examples of discs that are doing that?

Thanks

So, I watch people on YouTube and often they throw discs that go straight or right and as they slow down the disc either drops straight down or continues right all the way to the ground. I have never, never ever had my throws do that, WTF? Could you give me examples of discs that are doing that?

Thanks

What discs might do that for you depends on how far you throw and what your form looks like. A Leopard might do that for you if you are throwing with a lot of power. But if you don't throw as hard, that same Leopard might finish straight or even fade left at the end. For reference, how far are you throwing and how long have you been playing?

Thanks

First, it's not just the disc that allows them to do that, it's their technique and power as well.

Second, understable discs are what you're looking for. The more understable, the less they fight to come back at the end of their flights.

If you're looking at flight rating numbers, you want to look first at speed (the lead number ranging 1-14)...lower the better for turning the disc and having it stay turned. Then you want to look at the turn and fade numbers (the last two digits). The lower/more negative the last two digits in the rating are, the more understable.

If you have a disc rated 9 5 -3 1 and a disc rated 9 5 0 3, the first will be easier to turn than the second. If you have a disc rated 7 4 -2 1 and a disc rated 12 4 -2 1, the first will be easier to turn.

The Westside Underworld does this for me, hyzer flip to late turnover. It's a beautiful disc for noodle arms IMO

If you have a disc rated 9 5 -3 1 and a disc rated 9 5 0 3, the first will be easier to turn than the second. If you have a disc rated 7 4 -2 1 and a disc rated 12 4 -2 1, the first will be easier to turn.

But... mine just says "2↰" ;)

I suggest trying baseline plastics (pro D, DX, retro, elite X) - those turn easier than premium plastics and hold the turn. Good Luck. My brother and many golfers find easy turn (and hold) from the Discraft Stratus

I've been playing about 2 years. I'm really old.... Don't really know distances, for reference, I can throw a somewhat beat in 168 gm DX Leopard and get an s curve, no wind.

When I throw a Cobra level it will curve dramatically, but at the end of flight it will fade.

Cobra has a fade rating of 2, perhaps these are under stable but 0 fading discs? If Paul McBeth throws my Cobra, it might go a tad bit faster in the beginning, but at the end of flight....:)

If this is brand new for you get some slow discs that will turn over at low speeds. A DX Sonic or Wedge will allow you to throw some lovely turnovers in the 100-200 foot range. Learn what's possible then extend your range with faster discs - DX Stingray, DX/Pro Leopard, DX teebird, DX/Pro Valkyrie amongst many others.

Meteor and Comet both come to mind. I played with a guy that used a Tursas for "turnovers" like this.

Thanks

I saw that on some of the DG tourney videos, as well. These are pros that throw with tremendous power, especially relative to noodle arms like me. Their discs make sounds when they throw them. Ergo, they can turn over (which is what's happening there) almost any disc they throw when they throw full-power tee shots 500 feet.

Also, they season in many of their discs, and cycle some of them as well. McBeth has a number of Destroyers, some more understable (liable to turn over) than others. So the pros can take a disc that they know what it will do, and make consistent, repeatable throws due to a lot of practice and play.

For the rest of us... more understable discs, discs with a more negative turn number, will duplicate that turnover action. And with use and seasoning in, many stable/understable discs get even more understable and turn over even more. My Lat64 Gold Line Fury is a great example of that.

Make sure you are throwing the disc nose down as well (angled down so you can't really see the flight plate at all during its flight). If it nose is up at all, it will want to stall a little bit and fade at the end. If the nose is down enough it will hold the left to right flight a lot longer.

Massive spin on a disc from a good snap gives it the gyroscopic stability it needs to fight against fade. An understable disc with less spin will usually still fade left at the end. Same disc with lots of spin will hold the line you put it on, even to the ground.

But I don't think that's what you're asking. I've seen what you're talking about in pro videos - the disc goes high and far, then drifts right as it descends, never coming back to fade left. Understable disc just doesn't explain that, at least not completely. It's also technique because I've seen it done with a regular Nuke, which is very overstable. The only times I've made a similar shot was into a headwind that lifted the disc and carried it off to the right. Me thinks the pros have made a deal with the Devil.

I started playing last year and as a noob I had good success with the Disccraft Stratus and Lat64 Diamond. I was able to throw them 200-250 feet more or less consistently and they typically finished straight or right. As I gained more experience and started throwing with more power, those discs became "flippy", meaning they would turn too far to the right and sail way offline. When that happened I started throwing faster and more stable discs. Even now I'm still relatively inexperienced compared to most people here, and my max distance is only around 325-350', and my main drivers are the Mamba and Tern which are on the understable side. I'm only throwing more stable discs like Destroyers and Firebirds when I need a hard left turn (fade).

As you experiment with discs you'll find the molds that work best for you, and before long you'll be looking for new ones because you're gaining power and accuracy the more you play.

Thank you all for your replies.
SlowPlastic, I think you may be on to something, I will work on that.

What I'm asking about here is not the high speed portion of the flight, but the slow speed fade at the very end, some of the throws just don't fade. It's not fair!:mad:

Beat KC Roc's do that. Hence people having an almost mythical 'cycling routine' for their prized mids.

Putters too. If you throw an Aviar with decent form they will finish dead straight or to the right if its beat up.

Out of the box...Stratus. It's pretty under rated for the small and medium arms and can be a versatile disc. Backhand roller, straight and finish to the right, flip up and hold the line with no fade, etc....

Thank you all for your replies.
SlowPlastic, I think you may be on to something, I will work on that.

What I'm asking about here is not the high speed portion of the flight, but the slow speed fade at the very end, some of the throws just don't fade. It's not fair!:mad:

Any disc will fade when it slows down enough...so you have to throw a disc hard enough and low enough that it won't have the time to get to the fade portion of its flight (or best, it only fades enough to land flat while still drifting right). That doesn't mean you have to throw a disc low...it just means it has to hit the ground before it fades. And obviously faster/wider rims tend to fade more than slower discs, and have a much bigger difference between their HSS/LSS speeds when they suddenly want to fade.

I feel like the best discs to figure this out with are mellow midranges that you can get to fly like a -1/0 HSS/LSS flight and let it hit the ground before it fades. But maybe if you throw it 10' higher at the apex it would fade at the very end because of the extra time.

The more power you have, the higher throw you can get away with and have it hold the line. Nose down is a must.

Thanks

Just to check since it wasn't mentioned, those people aren't throwing forehand with their right hand, correct? Because a forehand shot will do that.

Otherwise I keep a #3 flyer in base plastic in my bag, just because the thing turns over super easy. I keep it for just those situations where I need to throw a backhand and have it turn right and know it will stay right.

For me:
- short approaches <75' a Magic putter doesn't fade back
- medium approaches <200 a light weight Stingray won't fade back assuming it's not thrown too high and with enough spin
- longer throws a Furry sometimes works but it's touchy and sometimes stalls left at the end or turns&burns into a cut roller.

Latest posts