• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Discouraged

Don't be discouraged. Everything takes time. Over the past couple of seasons, I've increased by drives by a couple hundred feet.

Don't forget that a lot of what you read here is internet distance. Most people don't know how far 400' really is, nor have they ever thrown a disc over 500'.
That's a good video for the OP to checkout, can't believe I forgot about it when I was posting all the other ones.

I don't think its a good idea to tell people (especially those new to DGCR) to disbelieve most people that say they can throw over 400'. I dislike the attitude of people on DGCR who automatically think your a liar if you say you can throw 400'+. It seems people who can't throw that far want to believe that only a few people can really throw that far so they feel better about themselves. Im not saying that this is everyone on DGCR have this attitude or specifically steinkecm but it is common. I personally can throw 450' with a fair amount of consistency with my Star Destroyers. I'm not talking about down hill with a tailwind, I mean flat ground with no wind at all. My farthest drives are around 500'. I've measured my distance quite a few times with a distance measuring wheel as well as a few other methods. I tend to believe people who say they can throw 400'+, especially in the Bag Suggestions & Feedback/Discs parts of DGCR. If they're not telling the truth they're only hurting themselves when people recommend discs that they can't get up to speed. I will only question a person if its blatantly obvious that they're telling a lie (like saying they need a faster over stable driver because their Firebird only goes 500'). People act like a person who throws over 400' is as elusive as Sasquatch. You don't need to be super athletic to throw far, its more about form than anything else. Sure some people lie to make themselves feel "cool" online but I bet a majority of people are truthful. Its not good to tell new members that a lot of people on DGCR are liars because they say they throw far. If we do that we could potentially be pushing people away from DGCR who have more knowledge about distance & throw farther than we do.

Because everyone was so nice with their suggestions, I thought I'd throw up an update.

In the past month:
My average throw has increased from 150' to 210'.
Max distance has increased from 200' to 270'.

Main items learned:
Throwing the disc level makes a huge difference.
All of my throws are standing still because a run-up is just too complicated.
Early acceleration on the pull isn't as important as late acceleration close to the release point.

Great progress. You may not have this problem, but don't be surprised if you hit a wall at 300-325'. This seem to be the limit of basic arm strength and speed. You'll need to focus more on core rotation and overall body mechanics. I know because I've been at that point for a year and still haven't found the illusive "hit".

Post a video of your form and some of the other folks on here (not me) can point out things to improve.

Great progress. You may not have this problem, but don't be surprised if you hit a wall at 300-325'. This seem to be the limit of basic arm strength and speed. You'll need to focus more on core rotation and overall body mechanics. I know because I've been at that point for a year and still haven't found the illusive "hit".

Post a video of your form and some of the other folks on here (not me) can point out things to improve.
I am stuck at 300' also
It will come eventually

Latest posts