• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Drives

ErflesMcBride

Im 14 and a relatively strong arm, but it seems i can never throw anything over 300 ft, and the only way i can do it is by performing one of those S anhyzer shots( im RHBH) My main drivers are ESP Nuke 172, Elite z Nuke 174, Elite Z NukeSS 169, Wahoo 172, ESP FLX SurgeSS 168. Pretty much all the discs are new... i cant throw sidearm well at all either. I cant seem to get the discs to flatten out like i see a lot of pros do too. Just leave any suggestions, thanks (btw, ive watched all the discraft clinics)

edit: i used to have a beat up pro d crush 172 that i could manage to get it straight for about 250 ft too

Last edited:
get away from the high speed drivers, and go with something slower. The reason for this is because you will be able to flip them over with a lot more ease and will get them to go just as far as your throwing now. Once you get your technique down and your strength up you will be able to flip the heck out of those nukes. And one more suggestion, throw that wahoo away. I am an innova freak and the wahoo is the to me the worst disc ever made.

Sounds like you might not be getting enough power on the those discs to get them up to speed. You may want to try throwing some slower discs in lighter weights, maybe a Leopard, Sidewinder or Vallkyrie. Also field practice is golden. Good luck!

you should definitely try to throw something slower...might I suggest a stalker or a teebird. I don't throw teebirds anymore, but I do throw stalkers and the 167-169 ones are really easy for me to hyzer flip and turn over, so they might fly dead straight for you for a long time...

yes, like the smaller rimmed one that i have and had like the crush and surge are working the best for me...(srry, i dont really know much about innova compared to discraft) but ur right about the wahoo, my friends like it, i just keep it for water holes

i would sugest discing down while on the course but those discs would still be great for field work and they will find there way back into your bag. Teebird is what i would sugest in my opion its the best overall driver for all throwing levels.

Im 14 and a relatively strong arm, but it seems i can never throw anything over 300 ft, and the only way i can do it is by performing one of those S anhyzer shots( im RHBH) My main drivers are ESP Nuke 172, Elite z Nuke 174, Elite Z NukeSS 169, Wahoo 172, ESP FLX SurgeSS 168. Pretty much all the discs are new... i cant throw sidearm well at all either. I cant seem to get the discs to flatten out like i see a lot of pros do too. Just leave any suggestions, thanks (btw, ive watched all the discraft clinics)

edit: i used to have a beat up pro d crush 172 that i could manage to get it straight for about 250 ft too

You are strong arming it probably with a lot a OAT, learn clean snap with slower discs like neutral putters and mids in a field.

Maxing out at 300':
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

Technique sticky, watch/read the following links:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

Im 14 and a relatively strong arm

Now you didn't say you're strong arming, but you probably are.

The easy thing to do is what everyone has said here, but do it like this.
1) Go get some slower lighter discs
Suggested discs - since you are throwing discraft get a X comet, nothing cleans up form better. In the 160-165 range. If you absolutely must have a driver snag a light ESP Cyclone.
2) Start driving and approaching with your Putter, and drive with the Comet. Do not drive with a diver unless absolutely necessary.
3) Field work, get on a football field to throw. There is no better place to learn when you are first pushing out your distance.
4) read

Now you didn't say you're strong arming, but you probably are.

The easy thing to do is what everyone has said here, but do it like this.
1) Go get some slower lighter discs
Suggested discs - since you are throwing discraft get a X comet, nothing cleans up form better. In the 160-165 range. If you absolutely must have a driver snag a light ESP Cyclone.
2) Start driving and approaching with your Putter, and drive with the Comet. Do not drive with a diver unless absolutely necessary.
3) Field work, get on a football field to throw. There is no better place to learn when you are first pushing out your distance.
4) read

soo play the course using stuff such as my Magnet, Wasp, and Aviar P&A?(all 166 to 169)

get away from the high speed drivers, and go with something slower. The reason for this is because you will be able to flip them over with a lot more ease and will get them to go just as far as your throwing now. Once you get your technique down and your strength up you will be able to flip the heck out of those nukes. And one more suggestion, throw that wahoo away. I am an innova freak and the wahoo is the to me the worst disc ever made.

This.

this...:hfive:

as i cant see you and your body, i can make a very blanket suggestion...

Lighten up.

i am 5'8" 170lbs.... I work out regularly, am athletic and pay attention to my body, weight, etc....
i only throw in the 170-171g range. For my first year, i could only reach the 325' ranges. Only in recent months have i been able to surpass the 400' mark consistently. (i hit 465' last week with a pro boss, i was soooo proud of myself! But that's not course distance.)

I can only imagine how i would have thrown (when i started) if i had been given 175g discs. I would have tried to overpower them and (as a result) i would have, assumably, learned improper form.

I bet, if you could find discs in the 164g-167g range you would find immediate results, be able to throw flat and have control. (you would probably find a bit of distance too).

some on here, will mention that, "a 11 year old kid threw 600', or some noise like that, but to me, you would throw a lot better than most other guys your age. And with the right discs you can be a very good player. Your age and size will limit you super long range, but in most courses if you have control and a range up to 325' you will do quite alright.

Lighten up and sit back and relax. You arent a grown man yet - you shouldnt expect to throw 500' like most of the 30-40 year old pros. At the same time, with proper experience and growth, you could (maybe) by the time you are 18 or 19, and be waaaay ahead of most of the rest of us. ????

* assuming you are like most 14 y/o kids i know and not some monsterous phenom that is built like a grown man already. To me, at your age, and with obviously heavy discs, 300'+ is very impressive.

Last edited:
follow up addition.

really pay attention to the stability and wear of your discs.
It seems to me that you are throwing a lot of stable - overstable things.

A lot of flat, controlled distance concepts are done with understable options.

Also understand, most discs start out a lot more stable than their rating. As much as you could have a "new sidewinder" it could still be more like an FL than a "s" curvy dream.

And, throwing discs that are "heavy" for you and your throwing size, weight, etc... tend to make them a lot more overstable than their rating.
Lighten up, then get a sidewinder.... watch it stay flay and move back and forth like a dream.

I read across your list and thought... "does this kid have anything that's understable? and he wonders why he cant throw flat?"

also keep in mind that your arm isnt when your power is going to come from. raw strength alone wont get you distance. ive learned that getting my legs (the strongest muscles in the body) to open and close my hips is more important than using upper body strength. you can whip your arm around much faster using your hips that just using your arm.

dan betos vid comes to mind. it has helped me immensely

Try a Flash. Its a slower disc than the Nuke. If you are putting the Nuke out 300, you might be able to put the Flash out 350+

as i cant see you and your body, i can make a very blanket suggestion...

Lighten up.

i am 5'8" 170lbs.... I work out regularly, am athletic and pay attention to my body, weight, etc....
i only throw in the 170-171g range. For my first year, i could only reach the 325' ranges. Only in recent months have i been able to surpass the 400' mark consistently. (i hit 465' last week with a pro boss, i was soooo proud of myself! But that's not course distance.)

I can only imagine how i would have thrown (when i started) if i had been given 175g discs. I would have tried to overpower them and (as a result) i would have, assumably, learned improper form.

I bet, if you could find discs in the 164g-167g range you would find immediate results, be able to throw flat and have control. (you would probably find a bit of distance too).

some on here, will mention that, "a 11 year old kid threw 600', or some noise like that, but to me, you would throw a lot better than most other guys your age. And with the right discs you can be a very good player. Your age and size will limit you super long range, but in most courses if you have control and a range up to 325' you will do quite alright.

Lighten up and sit back and relax. You arent a grown man yet - you shouldnt expect to throw 500' like most of the 30-40 year old pros. At the same time, with proper experience and growth, you could (maybe) by the time you are 18 or 19, and be waaaay ahead of most of the rest of us. ????

* assuming you are like most 14 y/o kids i know and not some monsterous phenom that is built like a grown man already. To me, at your age, and with obviously heavy discs, 300'+ is very impressive.

follow up addition.

really pay attention to the stability and wear of your discs.
It seems to me that you are throwing a lot of stable - overstable things.

A lot of flat, controlled distance concepts are done with understable options.

Also understand, most discs start out a lot more stable than their rating. As much as you could have a "new sidewinder" it could still be more like an FL than a "s" curvy dream.

And, throwing discs that are "heavy" for you and your throwing size, weight, etc... tend to make them a lot more overstable than their rating.
Lighten up, then get a sidewinder.... watch it stay flay and move back and forth like a dream.

I read across your list and thought... "does this kid have anything that's understable? and he wonders why he cant throw flat?"

don't listen to anything this guy says

don't listen to him, we all know soccer fields are the best places to learn when you are first pushing out your distance. he's just one of those greased up oddballers who wants to tackle you and put you in his tea time with dolls fantasy.

It depends on the courses you play. If there are lots of tights tree shots, maybe a 167-170 TL would be good. If you have lots of wide open shots, I'd go with a 168-171 Sidewinder, or a 165-168 Valkyrie. Don't get a Teebird like others are saying for adding distance. Take it from me. I was where you were at for 5 years and I was using a Teebird as my distance driver and RARELY got over 300. This is because I couldn't get a Teebird to S curve unless I give it lots of anhyzer release, which I now believe has given me bad form that I have to overcome. Just a few months ago I got a Sidewinder and immediately started throwing an average of 300, and have hit 350 on a practice field. The Sidewinder makes me throw with better technique since I have a disc suited for me. Now that I've been improving with the Sidewinder, it is too understable (unreliable) for my distance drives and I'm going with a lighter Valkryie 168 for max D.

Long story short, you might just try what I did. Get a Star Sidewinder 168-171 and give it a shot. If it's too understable, it'll be a great anhyzer shot / roller disc, something I wish I had all those 5 years. Then just try a Valkyrie in the 165-168 range. Or a TL if you can't afford to have the wide sweeping S curves on a lot of tight shots.

Best of luck!

don't listen to him, we all know soccer fields are the best places to learn when you are first pushing out your distance. he's just one of those greased up oddballers who wants to tackle you and put you in his tea time with dolls fantasy.

I only practice on cricket fields