• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

Yeah anti climatic is a good way of putting it! It would be cool either way but I guess I'd perfer someone to be around. There is an easy course a mile or two away from me with a really short hole. I think one day I may try to get my first practice ace or multi disc ace whatever term you may perfer! Don't worry I'll make sure to label it that way (if it ever happens)! :)

The more you play the more the odds go in your favor. I've bonked a couple baskets this week. Bashed the nub on a basket today. Glad I had a friend there to see that! Just another inch and it was there. Gotta Rub the Nub!

Its not an official ace that goes on the scorecard, but you can just tell people that you got an ace on a practice throw, simple as that.

How can it be a hole-in-one but not an ace? They're the same thing.

Personally, I would consider it an ace as long as it was thrown legally from the pad. Aces are rare enough that you should count every one you get....enough said.

So by that view, we can understand how someone like Cubby can "claim" 400+ aces. Standing on the tee and continually throwing one disc after another at a basket is going to greatly increase the probability of sinking one in the chains. The challenge is significantly reduced as repetition allows you to find the necessary line, appropriate arm speed and required height of the flight path. Doing this, the odds are much more in favor of hitting the basket than is possible with a single fresh, non-practiced throw.

I definitely can't see how the "multi-throw" view can lay claim to an ace.

Love this one.

I'd say...if "ure" knot keepning scnore...it doesn't count. Zero on the score card. Nice throw though. Sweet. Ching. Awesome.

Zero for the hole....zero for the round.

Makes me wonder what "par" is for a round that isn't scored?

u mean 999 lol right?
jk

The more you play the more the odds go in your favor. I've bonked a couple baskets this week. Bashed the nub on a basket today. Glad I had a friend there to see that! Just another inch and it was there. Gotta Rub the Nub!

I've got to agree with you on that one. I had played multiple (4-5) rounds on a course for 2 days in a row. I hit metal, chains, poles, but no aces. 2 days later, I hit an ace on my 6th hole.

If you are playing a casual round, it's ok to warm up but you need to be specific on which throw you are counting as your drive BEFORE you start throwing. If you throw it in before or after the disc you are counting, then that's awesome I'm happy for you, but I would not count that as an ace. We should come up with a good name for that kind of throw because it's still something to be proud of! :)

agreed. it's got to be the throw that "counts" on the card to count as an "ace", casual round or otherwise.

That's called a great practice throw. I am sure #1 was clean as well, but that's between him and the DG Gods.

cubby is the king of aces, and more often then not he probably warms up on the hole and then sets the video camera then sinks his ace, it counts as an ace because it doesn't matter how many throws you had ias long as you went from the teepad to the basket its an ace, its no different then me hitting an ace on my first drive at my home course because well i have probably played my home course a hundred times this summer, i can ussually park it on every hole, however sometimes i have bad luck and just barely miss the gap i always go through, or the wind throws me off.. every throw is different, even if they are all in a row, different disc, different luck, different wind...ect, ect.... so i believe it counts as an ace....

I agree with the rev. If it's a casual round and it obviously was then it's an ace.

i say yes, id your at the tee it couns, if you play the course 5 times in 1 day dose the 5th time you come through count? if yes then you cant say it dosent just because you throw 2 off the tee in the same round.

i throw 2 off the teee alot, i always count my first 1, but if i aced it with the 2nd throw id count it as an ace, but not towards my score.

Its not an official ace that goes on the scorecard, but you can just tell people that you got an ace on a practice throw, simple as that.

totally agree...it doesnt really count towards your round, but hell it is from the pad to the box....i wouldnt have people sign my disc, but i would count it as an ace...i would just do the same thing that mutigers said, and tell people "that one" was just a practice ace.

but then again...who cares?!?!? count it if you want...its not gonna hurt my feelings, and if it hurts anybody elses, screw em!!:D

Sort of goes back to my old CYO basketball coach who said it doesn't matter how the ball gets in the hole, it's still 2 points. In this case, to each their own.

There are different categories of ace:

1. The best is a clean throw, no skip, no deflection, into the basket on the first throw.

2. The "tried to skip it and it worked" skip ace.

3. The "I can't believe that went in I was just trying to get close" skip ace.

4. The grip locked, miraculously made it through a tree canopy, ricochetted of a tree ace.

5. And last but not least the cleaned out the bag on a short hole and hit it with my twelfth throw ace.

They're all pretty good but none feel as good as #1.

6. The "I threw a roller and it was headed straight for the pole, bounced up off a branch and into the basket" or "Roller Ace".

7. The "I threw a Thumber/Tomahawk and it bounced off the mulch right into the chains" or "The Thumber Ace".

8. The "I turned over my understable driver too far, it started rolling, nearly hit a squirrel who picked it up and started running, only to be snatched up by an eagle who carried the squirrel over the basket and the squirrel drops it in" or "God's Ace".

I agree with the rev. If it's a casual round and it obviously was then it's an ace.
Great news! I'm going to DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz tommorow, walking straight up the hill skipping 26 holes.
I'm borrowing all my friends discs. I have about 99-105 now.
I'm going to stay there until I Ace the top of the world shot at DeLa!!!!!!
My brother will be at the bottom with some friends bringing them back to me.

I will report when I Ace top o the world at DeLa.
Probably by the end of Sat. you should here from me.
It counts right?!

Last edited:
Great news! I'm going to DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz tommorow, walking straight up the hill skipping 26 holes.
I'm borrowing all my friends discs. I have about 99-105 now.
I'm going to stay there until I Ace the top of the world shot at DeLa!!!!!!
My brother will be at the bottom with some friends bringing them back to me.

I will report when I Ace top o the world at DeLa.
Probably by the end of Sat. you should here from me.
It counts right?!

Thats pretty lame but would be so fun.

So by that view, we can understand how someone like Cubby can "claim" 400+ aces. Standing on the tee and continually throwing one disc after another at a basket is going to greatly increase the probability of sinking one in the chains. The challenge is significantly reduced as repetition allows you to find the necessary line, appropriate arm speed and required height of the flight path. Doing this, the odds are much more in favor of hitting the basket than is possible with a single fresh, non-practiced throw.

I definitely can't see how the "multi-throw" view can lay claim to an ace.

I definitely understand your point as I was thinking the same thing myself. However, this is only applicable if you throw exactly the same disc off the tee multiple times. Throwing a different disc will completely offset any "knowledge" that you gained by the previous throw(s).

Maybe by the nature of disc golf it is best to assume that only the first throw counts as an ace. I have holed out several times in ball golf on the driving range, but I never counted it due to the concerns such as the integrity of the hole, repitition, etc. Since a disc golf course can serve as a "driving range" at all times, I do agree that only the first disc should count.