• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do Bright Colored Discs Matter?

My dilemma is that I don't want a lot of the same color in my bag, as I'm prone to losing concentration and grabbing the wrong disc at precisely the worst time.

I also feel like something of an expert on disc searches, playing often on a course with high grass, dense rough, briars, and water, and throwing badly to boot. Basically I'm with the others---the color is rarely an issue in whether a disc is lost, but often an issue in how long it takes to find it. I currently have a bright yellow disc AWOL, but that's more a factor of the time-honored method of losing discs---which is to throw multiple shots and forget where they all went.

I currently have a bright yellow disc AWOL, but that's more a factor of the time-honored method of losing discs---which is to throw multiple shots and forget where they all went.
I mostly lose discs due to throwing them in the middle of a lake or being an idiot and forgetting to pick up the extra throw I took.

I have the dreaded tendency to not watch where a disc lands once it pulls out of the flight I intended (I'm busy looking at the ground cursing) so I'm never quite sure how far left it went or exactly where in the shule it went in. I almost always choose some bright color to help me find my discs since I have no idea where 2/3's of my throws actually landed. It's mostly drivers, though. I can throw dark colored mids and putters; I generally can control them so they don't end up as horribly offline as my drivers.

Actually, it's amazing that I ever find anything I throw. :|

I think it is all based on your own preference. I agree with you, you can lose any color, whether it is bright or not. Personally, I like the bright colored discs; however, I'm a girl and my favorite colors are bright ones, so I tend to lean more on buying discs based on my favorite colors. My boyfriend plays with a Discraft Nuke SS, and it is green. We can always find the disc, but it is a lot more difficult to find. However, he lost his Discraft Flash that is bright yellow. So overall, I don't think it really truly matters. I believe the only time you really need to put this consideration is when you're color blind.

It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!

QFT+1

I like it when people searching for discs in a group (for example tournament) keep asking what color it is. It's a round piece of plastic, and there are probably not two of them in the same area. So just keep looking.

But yes, I too buy mainly bright colors.

I ask because it's easier to spot with peripheral vision or at a distance. Once is all I need though, not too hard to remember one word (two personally, I ask plastic type too so I know what kind of color/material I should be seeing).

OP might want to try neon colors (yellow-green is great) in "weaning" [sic] light around dawn/dusk. They will glow at that time of day making them easier to find than in full sunlight.

I use any neon color at that time of the evening and carry a black light flashlight. SUUUUUUPER easy to find.

Honestly I try to make most of my bag BL reactive so if I do lose one I can go back at sundown and find it real quick;)

Helped a guy on Friday look for his black disc in the tall weeds (he did find it), and humbly said that I thought black discs were cool looking, but I generally don't worry about the macho stuff. Said I preferred bright pink or orange. for just those situations. Quicker search. :thmbup:

I like bright colors too but, I also love a white disc with a great looking stamp on it! I say that white is my favorite color for my putters...yet my go to's are never white? My circle putter is a light lavender Retro Mercy and my approaching one is a purple Atom.

I feel stupid to say that I buy brand new white putters...and cant throw them because the look to Awesome to get beat up and dirty...:eek:. Yes, I own several white unthrown Mercys :doh:.

On the flip side of that I will buy a used white disc and take it straight to the basket...:confused:.

When it comes to white on a driver, that thing is getting airborne as soon as it gets to the course :thmbup:!

Like David said, I do like my go to discs to be different colors or darker/lighter if the same color is in the bag for that easy look and grab.

Here are the colors of what my bag is currently:

GL Dark blue, C-Line Clear Blue, GL Lavender, S-Line Orange, Star Yellow, Icon White, DX White, Opto DARK purple, Champ Orange, Z-Light Blue/ Aqua, Electron Soft Purple, Retro pale Purple/lavender swirl.

The hardest color for me to find is that C-Line blue followed by the GL dark blue. Especially when every thing is green around here that C-line can vanish easily.

Bright discs and white discs tend to pop out at you more often then not... but, yeah, you can lose anything...

Had a card-mate throw a merlot leopard deep in the schule on 9 at Lemon Lake Gold... Had I not known exactly where it went it would have been gone for good... the owner actually gave up on it but I soldiered on despite that b/c I knew I was near it... still took a few minutes until I happened to be almost on top of it... watching your disc (or other's) and remembering some landmark or general area is a huge factor regardless of color...

I also ask for the color of the disc as it helps me train my eye for what I'm looking for... funny answer I sometimes get is that it's round so find something round...

I'm sure we've all been in a situation where we're sure we know where the disc landed but still just can't find it no matter how hard we look... usually that's in fall or winter but can happen anytime... some discs just skip or roll somewhere after losing site of them... or get covered in leaves or buried in snow...

Snow can actually help you out here... just look for the slit in the fresh snow and that is likely a disc that went under...

I can see what the OP is saying though... I had a dark purple Star Katana for years that I always seemed to find until it went in a river... it was impossible to find it from the shore as that color was just impossible to see... OK, so I half agree with the OP... bright colors (or white) are better choices usually but you will find any color disc if you just pay attention and have your card-mates doing the same

Last edited:
I'm sure we've all been in a situation where we're sure we know where the disc landed but still just can't find it no matter how hard we look

Yep. So incredibly annoying. You track it, see where it lands, and you get there, and it's vanished. It ends up being one of those "if it was a snake, it would have bit you" things where you pass over it with your eyes but still can't see it.

I throw the colors I want, but do have a lot of Pink and Orange, funny enough I've found a ton of bright discs. 3 Pink 4 Orange 5 Yellow 2 White. Way more than any dark color.

Helped a guy on Friday look for his black disc in the tall weeds (he did find it), and humbly said that I thought black discs were cool looking, but I generally don't worry about the macho stuff. Said I preferred bright pink or orange. for just those situations. Quicker search. :thmbup:

:looks into bag: Girly colors everywhere!
:points and laughs:

::throws pink disc::

I started prefering orange, dayglow, pink and yellow when I was playing a league that often finished at dusk (or dark) hole 18 was somewhat blind (hyzer over the crest of a hill) and lots of blue spruce with low hanging branches. Dark red, blue and black discs sometimes did get left behind, especially ones without a foil stamp.

I also do not throw white, because I do play in and around snow a bit as well (as I have a ton more free time in the winter.

Worst disc that I've had to look for was a green Proton Anode. The clearish green flight plate with the black overmold made that disc disappear in most wooded areas. It got to the point where I gave up looking and left it there.

I'm more inclined to buy brighter colored discs for drivers. Mids and putters it really doesn't make much of a difference. That being said, I have at least three red drivers in the bag right now.

When I do lose one in the grass, its usually because the disc finds that one tuft of taller grass or lowered spot where you're not going to see it unless you walk right over it. No color is going to show through that crap.

I like it when people searching for discs in a group (for example tournament) keep asking what color it is. It's a round piece of plastic, and there are probably not two of them in the same area. So just keep looking.

But yes, I too buy mainly bright colors.

If I'm helping somebody search for a disc, and time is of the essence, I'm doing the quick scan and it's absolutely essential to know what color I'm scanning for. Discs have a way of hiding at tricky angles, so you might not be seeing "a round piece of plastic" but a flash of color in the bushes.

I got a grape purple champ disc for free once...it was a disaster to find everywhere. It's lost now. But that is my fault since it flipped 50' right...but I remember troubles finding it even on a soccer field.

I also found a black disc without a name (which means someone else couldn't find it)...and I've almost lost it on open fields so many times it's ridiculous. If its stamp wasn't that shiny foil stuff there would be no way to see it anywhere.

If I'm paying money for a disc, I am never buying: black, purple, or merlot red. Dull red kind of sucks and dull blue isn't great, but I will do it.

Dayglow green is my favourite, half my bag is that. I think it's super easy to find in grass and brush. Pink, and also the super neon yellow and orange are also great.

And don't get me started on playing rounds with guys who only throw dark tie-dye discs...

I was playing dubs once and my partner had a Champ Teebird with a Dark Side of the Moon dye on it where most of the disc was black. On hole 6 at Central he throws it into the woods on the far left of the fairway; inwardly I groaned because I knew it was going to be such a PITA to find with the dark dye and minimal color. Thankfully, we didn't end up spending more than maybe five minutes looking for it, but man, it definitely could have just been gone right under our noses.

If I'm helping somebody search for a disc, and time is of the essence, I'm doing the quick scan and it's absolutely essential to know what color I'm scanning for. Discs have a way of hiding at tricky angles, so you might not be seeing "a round piece of plastic" but a flash of color in the bushes.
^+1

I had a clay colored Ti Stalker, that thing was the worst, it was in between red and brown, and it blended in with both wood and dirt... Needless to say, I lost that a long time ago.