• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you consider disc golf a Sport or Game of Skill? (Poll)

Do you consider Disc Golf a Sport or a Game of Skill?

• Sport

Votes: 190 60.1%
  • Game of Skill

Votes: 96 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 30 9.5%

• Total voters
My favorite course as a kinesiology student in Uni was Philosophy of Sport. Part of the syllabus was dedicated to defining "sport". The dictionary definition actually comes pretty close to the general consensus among doctors of sport philosphy: "SPORT: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."
Pretty simple at the surface, and there are a lot of different philosophies that are much more specific (ie include gross motor skills, heart rate etc..) but at the core, in my opinion, this is the gist of it. Of course, one of the most common arguments against this ideology is that if "tag" was competitive ( I dont know, maybe there is a "North American Tag Association"?!) then it would have to be considered a sport...and I think I'm okay with that. So yeah, I vote that disc golf is most definitely a sport.

Disc Golf Is Definitely a Sport

It is a mental and physical exercise of competition, even if you're just competing against yourself or the sport itself. The performance of the event is dependent on the player's performance, rather than the performance of a trained animal, as is the case in horse, camel, or dog sled racing, or the performance of a motorized vehicle, as with auto, boat, airplane or motorcycle racing. And it has an objective scoring system, unlike such so-called sports of gymnastics, figure skating, ice dancing, diving, and synchronized swimming. Though the racing events do have objective scoring, they are more exhibitions than athletic accomplishments. As for the others, especially ones like trampoline and ribbon twirling, they are strictly exhibitions, most accurately defined as artistic, rather than athletic. Of course, diving could be defined as sport if it were performed as he or she who can dive from the highest height without dying wins.

There's a level of fatigue in it that designates it a sport for me. You have to put in at least a certain amount of work to be able to endure a tournament weekend emotionally and physically. You can't play it recreationally and expect to go out and Throw 54 holes on a championship weekend and hope to finish strong. Sport all the way. Games can be won by anyone, regardless of preparation.

Having watched a lot of football games, basketball games, and baseball games, I'm hard-pressed to find a clear distinction between "sport" and "game". I think the poll---and argument---is faulty. Perhaps the O.P. can start over with asking, is it a (1) sport or (2) just a game. And include some definitions of those terms, for the sake of the poll.

I play it as a game 99% of the time. The rare times I play a PDGA tournament I prep for it and play like it is a sport.

B.S. There are anomalies that play a game/sport at world class level that do not meet the definition of what most people would consider an athlete. ie. John Daly, Babe Ruth, William Perry, etc.

Not true.
An athlete: a person who is proficient at sports or other forms of excercise

And yet once again, this discussion (which has been on DGCR three or four times now) boils down to activities that each of us like as a participant or spectator and want to uphold to a standard of manliness as a sport, and activities that we don't like and denigrate as sissypoo, as just a game, even if the disparaged activity meets the dictionary definition of sport.

And yet once again, this discussion (which has been on DGCR three or four times now) boils down to activities that each of us like as a participant or spectator and want to uphold to a standard of manliness as a sport, and activities that we don't like and denigrate as sissypoo, as just a game, even if the disparaged activity meets the dictionary definition of sport.

Well said. :clap:

no offense or defense, no sport. Know offense or defense, know sport.

That eliminates track & field, racecar driving, and golf. And brings to my mind the image of playing defense in pole vaulting.

Sports ARE 'games of skill' ... the two are not mutually exclusive. No matter how seriously you take a sport, it's still a game.