• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you try to put more or less spin on your disc? Or just throw?

What level player are you & do you try to modulate the amount of spin on your throw?

• I'm pretty advanced. I just throw and don't worry about more or less spin.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • I'm pretty advanced. I use different levels of spin to make my discs/shots work.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • I'm not very advanced. I don't worry about putting different levels of spin on my throws.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I'm not very advanced. I try to control the level of spin on my shots.

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
Question for those that actively manipulate spin: Does a person decrease the power output of their throw while increasing the speed through the hit in order to achieve an increase in spin? Would this practice be beneficial on very windy occasions (20+mph)?

I don't get where the disconnect is here.

Go play catch with a lid and throw 2 passes, one that is barely spinning and one that is spinning super fast, where they both have (ok, roughly) the same speed and release angles.

Do we agree that is possible to do?
To someone 20' away, yes. To someone 300' away, no.

If we do, then how can you argue that it's impossible to do the same thing on a drive?
Because the technique and hand speed required to throw 20' is way different than what's required to throw 300'. There are a lot of things that are easy to do slowly but impossible to do very fast.

Question for those that actively manipulate spin: Does a person decrease the power output of their throw while increasing the speed through the hit in order to achieve an increase in spin? Would this practice be beneficial on very windy occasions (20+mph)?

[Full disclosure: I am a novice]

I vary spin only when putting and only to overcome wind. Shortening my arm motion and using more wrist cock and acceleration through release is how I do it when I am forced to.

We had shifting winds 20-25 mph steady, gusts to 40-45 yesterday and, without really upping the spin, I was struggling with even 10-15' putts getting blown in every direction.

isn't the DFP grip a way to increase spin in addition to throwing nose down during backhand distance throws?

i've seen it in action with sponsored pros and that increased amount of spin from then DFP grip makes even super overstable discs like PD2 go straight 350ft before eventually succumbing to LSS.

isn't the DFP grip a way to increase spin in addition to throwing nose down during backhand distance throws?

i've seen it in action with sponsored pros and that increased amount of spin from then DFP grip makes even super overstable discs like PD2 go straight 350ft before eventually succumbing to LSS.

I would think the DFP would theoretically decrease spin (if anything) since the pinch point is closer to the center of mass. What we call HSS or turn is associated with lower angle of attack. I think the nose down thing is the main effect of the DFP grip...

the dfp actually creates leverage by allowing the thumb to slip into the pinch, sort of like a tribuchet/catapult ejecting the disc with more speed/spin.

that's why you can see guys throw overstable drivers nose down and it still goes straight and a disc like a pd2 looks like a teebird in flight (goes laser straight then fade at the very end).

if anything throwing nose down with such overstable discs would make them hyzer out faster.

I would think the DFP would theoretically decrease spin (if anything) since the pinch point is closer to the center of mass. What we call HSS or turn is associated with lower angle of attack.
^ 100% agree.

I think the nose down thing is the main effect of the DFP grip...
I believe it actually puts the nose slightly more up, and the main effect is more linear speed and less spin, like you said the leverage point is closer to the center of mass so the power is more centered behind the disc, than radially leveraged out against it. More speed will also cause "more nose down" effect or rather put the center of lift further behind the CoM of the disc, just like throwing in headwind increases relative airspeed causing more turn/roll as the CoL is pushed further back. Also less spin will increase precession/turn/roll, keeping overstable discs appearing straighter/turning.

I went through a year or two where I'd basically only throw 2 discs, a high speed driver and a putter (super beginner, LHFH), and just manipulate the driver to get it to do what I wanted. Not sure if it's spin or speed exactly - I learned to take my high speed driver on a forehand touch anny flex line to carve up short wooded tunnel holes. I figured it was the lower spin that helped it flex out early and dump left quickly. Not a good habit/practice to get into, but a real easy and consistent way to get 200-250' down a tunnel. That seemed like a pretty handy tool to have, does that count as manipulating spin on purpose?

Because the technique and hand speed required to throw 20' is way different than what's required to throw 300'. There are a lot of things that are easy to do slowly but impossible to do very fast.

So again I ask, where's the limit? Where's the cutoff point where it's no longer possible to intentionally manipulate spin?

i'd wager you'd have to be pretty experienced to know how much spin you are putting on a disc incrementally. whereas it is easy to lob/push a shot out with little to no spin (wobble effect) and just as easy to rip a disc full power/spin - it seems difficult to imagine trying to incrementally adjust the spin you impart on a disc by 1-20%

Latest posts