• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Does Mongoose = Sidewinder

Qstick333

Birdie Member
I know that they are the same according to flight numbers, but I don't believe them too often :)

My trusty star sidewinder has finally become a roller only disc and I want to put a fresh one in the bag. I've wanted to try Legacy discs for a while now but can't feel them locally and don't know anyone throwing them.

So - is a mongoose a sidewinder? I know several of legacy's molds are quite similar to Innova discs but wasn't sure where this one fell.

Many thanks!

It is very similar to the Sidewinder. A mongoose is a snake killer, so the name is kind of telltale. That being said, I prefer the Champion Sidewinder or Z Heat for that slot.

It is very similar to the Sidewinder. A mongoose is a snake killer, so the name is kind of telltale. That being said, I prefer the Champion Sidewinder or Z Heat for that slot.

LOL - I had no idea that was what a mongoose was.

animal was about as far as I got with that :doh::doh::doh:

I've been pretty happy with the sidewinder for a long time, it isn't a disc I need too often, but it has served me well. I tried a Heat I found on the course before returning it and it wasn't my thing. it flew well, but the rim wasn't a great fit in my hand.

Mongoose vs Sidewinder:

hqdefault.jpg

Close fight until the murder!

From everything I have heard, Mongoose = Sidewinder in the same way that Rival = Teebird. I have not found one I want to buy yet (why do they even make Purple discs?) so I grabbed a Nemesis instead which are supposed to similar but faster.

Thanks again for the responses. Just snagged a 167 Icon Mongoose to try. It should get here next week :)

My icon mongoose is much flippier than any sidewinder I have ever tried. Its the perfect roller for me, which is good, because it's so flippy, I actually cant throw an airshot with it

In my experience, a typical mongoose is more understable than a sidewinder. A roadrunner is a better comparison.

I only have a pair of First Run Mongooses, but I agree that they're more US than all but a well beat in Star Sidewinder. Still, they're fun discs and great rollers/ utility US discs.

The Legend Mongoose would prob be closer but out of the box i would compare the Icon Mongoose to a well seasoned Star Sidewinder.. the Icon Bandit is prob more SW like.. Before Legacy i would bag 3-4 old ssw sidewinders and cycle them and the combo of Mongoose/Bandit covered all the same lines and kicked them out the bag

I received the Icon Mongoose a couple days ago and have had time to take it to a field. Roadrunner is definitely a better comparison. First throw with it (and I don't have massive power) was a flat release and it turns right and goes into a cut roller. I can flip it and have it finish right.

I don't think it will find a place in my bag - it is just too understable. Looks like I will stick with the sidewinder.

I should add that Icon is a great feeling plastic. Similar to star but, for me, a little grippier and just a better feel in my hand.

I received the Icon Mongoose a couple days ago and have had time to take it to a field. Roadrunner is definitely a better comparison. First throw with it (and I don't have massive power) was a flat release and it turns right and goes into a cut roller. I can flip it and have it finish right.

I don't think it will find a place in my bag - it is just too understable. Looks like I will stick with the sidewinder.

I should add that Icon is a great feeling plastic. Similar to star but, for me, a little grippier and just a better feel in my hand.

I just got one last week and agree with you. I have thrown some huge hyzer flips in a tail wind, but it is just too understable to bag. I'll probably use it to start learning rollers and to let some beginner friends throw a driver that they might have a chance to get straight.

^^ yeah its an AMAZING roller disc.. thats about all mine gets used for atm but its also well seasoned.. i have thrown some HUGE hyzerflip rollers with it.. i dont have a huge arm and my max d def comes from rollers and it excels at them! Out of the box they are great for me for hyzerflip woods lines but for power players i could see it being way too understable .. if you are really looking for something to replace the SW i would suggest a nice Icon Bandit

The Legend Mongoose would prob be closer but out of the box i would compare the Icon Mongoose to a well seasoned Star Sidewinder.. the Icon Bandit is prob more SW like.. Before Legacy i would bag 3-4 old ssw sidewinders and cycle them and the combo of Mongoose/Bandit covered all the same lines and kicked them out the bag

This. I have an icon bandit that has a very sidewinder-esque flight