• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Doming" a disc?

BluBubs

Bogey Member
Hey there folks!

Well, I've seen a ton of threads on how to artificially flatten a disc (i.e., turn it upside-down and fill it with hot water or but a crap ton of heavy books on it for awhile) but I could not find a thread on how to add dome to a disc.

----------------------------------
TL : DR
I have a S-PD that I swear is a board flat 11x Champion Firebird that was accidentally stamped as a S-PD Freak. Can you add dome to a disc, or do you simply need to beat it in (a lot since it's S plastic) to reduce the strong fade?
----------------------------------

Here's the scenario: I love the PD, more specifically, the P-PD. I recently picked up an S-PD looking to add to my PD collection and found that she is quite a bit more stable. (I'd say closer to a Firebird than a PD)

I know the S is supposed to be more stable than the P, so I dropped 8g. off of my usual weight preference in hopes of counteracting/offsetting that aspect a little bit. Didn't see make that much of a difference.

So then, I compared it against my other PDs to find out that while the PLH is slightly higher on the S-PD than the P-PDs (to my understanding, that would account for additional stability) the difference between the domes was a lot more pronounced.

PLHs
PLHs_zps790f1203.jpg

Domes
domes_zps40bbc36f.jpg

So, with all of the factors that can affect stability:
  • PLH - which in this case, looks minimally different
  • Plastic - S is supposed to be more stable than P, I get that
  • Weight - I dropped 8g. to (hopefully) adjust for plastic difference
  • Me - my throw, mechanics, etc. I assume I am throwing both the P-PD and S-PD the same though so "I" should be a moot point

...I come down to the dome difference.

Is it possible to add dome to a disc? Will that result in getting my beloved P-PD flight path with the extra durability of the S-plastic? ...or am I just going to need to throw the S-PD into a tree a few hundred times to beat it in?

Thanks for any thoughts/help - much appreciated!
-Bubs :)

1. There was a run of "test configuration" s-pds that are very firebird-like. It sounds like you have one of those. You can probably find domier standard runs in s-line.

2. The P-PD is naturally more understable than an s-pd. Adding dome to an s-pd is not going to magically turn it into a p-pd. The best answer is to just keep throwing it in the woods and beat it up to naturally get it into that sweet spot that you like.

If you take a large bowl that tapers down. Put a little ice water in the bowl. Place the disc upside down so its resting on the walls of the bowl. Fill the disc with boiling water. The cold water on bottom amd warm water on top creates suction. This should pop the dome. Any q pm me. I have done this to several discs with good luck.

Prepare for the its illegal remarks.

You can replace a dome or fix a puddle top but I've never created a dome when one never existed.

If you want to beat the stability out of it, throw a bunch of thumbers with it. Why does it seem like nobody wants to put in any work to get what they want anymore?

In my experience, S-PDs hit a sweet spot that is still more stable than a P-PD but much more workable when new. A better option would be to put it in the MP and try to trade it for a used one.

Thanks for all of the constructive discussion so far - honestly appreciated! :thmbup:

Just to be clear, I'm not against "putting in the work" to beat a disc into the magic spot that I desire. I have just frequently wondered this question (can you add dome?) while reading other threads about artificially "flattening" a disc. It just so happened that this S-PD finally gave me the fodder to make this thread, that's all.

Thanks again, I hope you all have a great day
-Bubs

Last edited:
PLH - which in this case, looks minimally different

No, that's a significant difference and I don't believe changing the dome will make a difference in the flight. I'd first make sure that there is no excess flashing and then thow some spike hyzers to "wear" the disc in.

If you DO give the disc some dome, make sure to make it a sandwich afterward.

It doesn't look like a test config from this picture. However the sline has a massively higher plh. If it has a less-rounded nose, vulcan-esque top, and feels different in hand than it is. I have a test config 168 spd and I only throw it 330 yet it does not fly anything like a firebird. In fact it flies very similar to my 171 new config cpd. Mine fly very straight, have a late fade, and do no fight out of the glide or come crashing down like a firebird. They have a lot of fade but no more than a brand new wraith and only skip if thrown very low. I use mine for some forehands, in the wind, and when I want to throw 20 feet farther than my teebird on tight shots. My guess is that you simply like the flight of p line better...which makes me want to try one.

I don't think that it is the test configuration, but there was a freak run of S PD that came out massivly overstable. I ended up just getting rid of it and getting a Domier S PD. If your is anything like the one I had it will take a long time to beat into something usable.

No, that's a significant difference and I don't believe changing the dome will make a difference in the flight. I'd first make sure that there is no excess flashing and then thow some spike hyzers to "wear" the disc in.

yeah, these are very different, 1/32" makes a big difference in flight.

I just got a disc in the mail, a 169g Rival from Lion. The package was marked fragile and I can tell this isn't the fault of the sender. My postman tried to fit my disc in the PO box.... then just took it in the office for them to hold it for me. The bubble mailer was torn and I could see the disc inside. It was a bit warped. I was sad needless to say but then, BOOM, here is a thread about reshaping discs! The disc was also somewhat concave. meh.

It's weird this was posted because I just did this to several discs and wanted to post my method, which works great...

I had an ESP Nuke that was STUPID flat on the top and has a low PLH, creating this awkward, hard edge, Vulcan-like shoulder, which I wanted it to be more round and grippy..

Here's what you need:

1) A small flower pot or something that the disc JUST sticks over from by about half an inch all the way around, so that the surface of the pot, or can, or whatever, is in contact with the disc right in the middle of the rim when the disc is upside down on it. (I'm not at home or else I would post a picture and measurements)

2) Weights: 2 2.5lb weights, and a 5lb weight. (more weights are optional)

Instructions:

In a sink, (or ideally a wash basin) fill the disc with piping hot water while the disc is upside down and centered on the flower pot.
(boiling the water is not that necessary but may help a little)

Center one of your 2.5 lb weights on the disc. Then stack another on top of it, perfectly centered. Feel free to push the weights down into the disc, kind of like you are "stretching" the plastic. (which I assume is happening to some degree)

Add the 5lb weight to the top of those weights and let it sit for a few minutes.

Optional: you can push down on the 5 lb weight while pulling up on the rim at the same time if you want to work the PLH down a bit, rotating your pulls around the disc evenly.

Every 5 to 10 minutes, remove the weights and add hot water again, just like when you flatten a disc.

Repeat this process 4 or 5 times, then let the weights sit on the disc for a much longer time, left alone. (overnight or for an hour, your choice)

What you will end up with is a nice even dome that's a few millimeters more than what you started with. If it's too much dome, you can flatten it, or just know that it'll "settle" a little with use or as it slowly goes back to its original form. If it's not enough dome, use more weight or give it more time to sit and stretch.

This method worked awesome, and turned a "backup" / practice disc into a useable bag disc.

Note: The dome will not be a perfectly round dome, but slightly flat at the top, because you're using a flat weight.

Last edited:
I tried flattening an old d challenger I had that had an uncomfortable reverse dome with the standard hot water method and it didn't quite get it flat. I set it up on the edges of four glasses so it had some room to dome a little and it domed up a ton. Now it is a pop top lol. The vacuum method sounds better, though.

what about using a bowling ball, and a pot of hot water, it should give you a nice dome.

I tried flattening an old d challenger I had that had an uncomfortable reverse dome with the standard hot water method and it didn't quite get it flat. I set it up on the edges of four glasses so it had some room to dome a little and it domed up a ton. Now it is a pop top lol.

I've tried the same thing with some base plastic (KC Pro/DX) discs in the past and just a little bit of hot water instantly domed the **** out of them. A newer KC Pro Roc looked like the dome was about to give out under the weight/heat of the water and it basically ruined the disc. To the OP, I would not suggest using any extra weight initially, even if you're doing premium plastic.

I'd agree with what other have said about the PLH too. That is a big difference there, and I would expect drastically different flights out of those discs. Adding more dome to the flatter PD might even make it seem a little more overstable at first.

Latest posts