• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dream disc golf places to live based on quality of life

That was the O.P.'s criteria. He invited us to use our own.

If someone equates lots of snow and bitter cold with quality of life, Minnesota & Wisconsin will work out splendidly.

I do love it here in WI, yea it snows but who cares its still fun to play in. Living in Milwaukee my whole life I love it, its the perfect little big city. Crime rate sucks, I think the schools arent the best, but it is pretty and we have some of the best courses in the world. I live 10 min from downtown and could get to maybe 10 courses within 15min. Its kinda wonderful. Plus theres tons of good beer and a bar on every corner.

Last edited:
I'm going to roll with central/north coastal california. Not only is the quality of life amazing, but we have amazing courses to play: Dela, Pinto, Ryan Ranch, Stafford, GG Park, Emerald Hills, not to mention several other really fun courses within reach. Yes the cost of living is high, but we have golf 365: incredible weather, and legendary courses to match.

I'm going to roll with central/north coastal california. Not only is the quality of life amazing, but we have amazing courses to play: Dela, Pinto, Ryan Ranch, Stafford, GG Park, Emerald Hills, not to mention several other really fun courses within reach. Yes the cost of living is high, but we have golf 365: incredible weather, and legendary courses to match.

That's definitely an important factor and likely deal breaker.

I'd have to say right where I am now, Pittsburgh. Three 4+ rated courses withing 20 miles of where I live. Plus a great club that has many leagues and tournaments. City life is great too. Can't go wrong with a round of disc golf and a Pirates game! Best place to live!

This guy knows what's up.

One aspect for quality life that is less obvious is commuting distances, time and cost. No required pay highways in the Twin Cities and there are enough decent courses near where you're likely to live east, west, north or south so you can get to leagues or rec rounds after work. The relative ease and speed of getting around here has probably contributed to the number of successful leagues almost every day, almost year-round.

One reason I mention this is even Pittsburgh residents would agree it's not the easiest place to get around. The stock answer during Worlds seemed to be you were about 45 minutes from wherever you wanted to go due to the serpentine river crossings needed to get around the admittedly beautiful terrain.

Last edited:
Their is no silver town my friend. The best place to play and live is where you are at, right now.
And as soon as you find out about the cool place to be everyone else has already found out. Its now overcrowded, expensive, not many jobs- but hip man.. hip man.. but unlivable.

I live in the Denver, CO area right now and I love it.

But if I were to move Charlotte, NC is pretty high up on the list. I have yet to see a better collection of disc golf courses in one place.

While cost of living is high, I might also go back to Southern California because I have yet to find better weather to play disc golf in.

One aspect for quality life that is less obvious is commuting distances, time and cost. No required pay highways in the Twin Cities and there are enough decent courses near where you're likely to live east, west, north or south so you can get to leagues or rec rounds after work. The relative ease and speed of getting around here has probably contributed to the number of successful leagues almost every day, almost year-round.

One reason I mention this is even Pittsburgh residents would agree it's not the easiest place to get around. The stock answer during Worlds seemed to be you were about 45 minutes from wherever you wanted to go due to the serpentine river crossings needed to get around the admittedly beautiful terrain.

It's a good point, at least where comparing major metropolitan areas.

I have to drive 5 miles to see a traffic light, another 5 to see the next one. So MY criteria for a dream disc golf place excludes any cities---or, at least, puts me far enough out of their sprawl that I can visit, but then escape.

^thanks man, I just signed up. I'm excited to get into the Nashville DG scene. Nashville is cool because all the courses are within 15-20min of the city proper.

My wife and I didn't go crazy and buy a huge mansion or anything in Brentwood, we found a sensible 4bd/3bath/0.6acres house.

There were so many options though.... maybe buy a huge 30acre lot in Chapel hill and make my own damn 18hole disc golf course, maybe closer in at Spring Hill and have 2-5 acres (9 hole private course!), or buy right in the city (maybe the "nicer parts" of East Nashville and be right in the thick of the fun of the city) and be close to all the courses anyway.

What was scary is how fast things in Nashville sell/are under contract. We would see all these interesting properties and within the day, even with in the hour, of being posted it online would be sold.

That was part of our logic though, you can get a lot of house and acreage if you're willing to drive 30-45min... but what happens if Nashville turns into Atlanta (tons of transplants + tons of new mega housing subdivisions + urban planing maybe not keeping up with both = hellish traffic in the next decade.

I totally understand. Nashville is a hotbed. This place is exploding. I live about 40 minutes north of downtown currently, but grew up in Spring Hill which is about 40 minutes south of downtown. I still visit my parents frequently there. I'm currently looking for a nice tract of land to build a house and perhaps my own course. There is a really nice "private" course, but open to the public where I live in Springfield called Oggwood. Definitely worth checking out.

Yeah the Twin cities MN is solid, but the winter blows, but I still play DG year-round, winter rounds can be fun too, skippin off the ice. A lot of cultural diversity...

Type in "55444" in the Zip Code section of the Course Finder and you will see what I, and many others who say MN, get to work with :thmbup:

Let's just say I never get bored.

That's definitely an important factor and likely deal breaker.

The OP wasn't talking about affordability though. The topic dream disc golf places to love based upon quality of life. So if money wasn't a factor, where would you be? And I'm saying...right here...

The upper midwest is out for me. Came from MN. I remember warming up my car sitting on my hands with teeth chattering saying over and over, "This is stupid"

The summers rock, if you have bug spray.

If proximity to family wasn't an issue, I'd vote for Denver, or more specifically, somewhere in the western to southwestern 'burbs, say Golden to Highlands Ranch. I'm not a big city guy, but if I had to work in the downtown of one, I'd want to have convenient access (at both ends) to rail transit, and the RTD system is getting to be pretty nice. I could handle a 10-minute drive to a 30-minute train ride. As for disc golf, the SW part of Denver itself isn't great, but it does have good access to the gems up in the hills. My skis have been in hibernation for a while, but that would certainly change if I moved out there! Lots of great recreational opportunities all around.

No state that is a Republican stronghold would figure into my idea of quality of life, weather be damned.

Notice Monkeypaws is from the darkest blue presidential state.

At least confirming the general trend of people declaring that their own home is the "dream disc golf place to live". For whatever reasons. Including myself, at least within about 100 miles of my current home.

I don't care to sink into politics, or whether they should be high on someone's "Quality of Life" checklist. This is, after all, about each person's dream. Depending on the definition of "stronghold", that would eliminate up to two-thirds of the states, thus making the decision a little easier. Which, of course, is the same way my feelings about cold winters work for me.

If I had to go right now, I would chose outside of Ludington MI. Great outdoor activities all year round. Ultimately, as in retirement.....outside of Denver would by top of the list.