• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drive by disc knapping

wilos1

Bogey Member
What is this world coming to? Today, playing highland park in Joliet il (Piltcher park) a van pulled up alongside hole 3 and grabbed my disc. They were sort of blocked by trees so I couldn't tell if that's what was happening, but when I got up there the disc was gone and the guys waiting on the hole in front of me said the kid jumped out of the passenger side and grabbed it.

Vehicle was a maroon chrysler or dodge caravan or voyager with a temp tag instead of a plate. Disc was a first run Discmania DD champy star day glo green with red stamp and name and number on back.

Yea that sucks, since your from the area ive seen that happen at shorewood too

I know your pain. I had that happen to me, except it was a kid on a bike and he kept riding away on the path that runs through our course. It was a perfectly seasoned roc...made me quite upset.

I play at that course often and I think I have seen that van there before. I hope that I see them there in the next few days and can get my disc back from them. I'm not really mad, just want my disc back. I didn't have a back up DD and had been throwing that disc an awful lot lately.

I still just don't understand why you would go through so much to take a disc...my first thought is that this seems like something the guys over at DGCR would do...

wilos1 said:
I still just don't understand why you would go through so much to take a disc...my first thought is that this seems like something the guys over at DGCR would do...
Oh, come on man. That's low. Leave us Boss putters out of this.

I believe it may have been this man:

john-belushi.jpg

I had this happen to me just a few weeks ago. 176 Pink Z Comet. I bet the guy (big chevy diesel in fort collins with texas plates) will hate it.

Happened to me a few years ago while we were testing out the Upper Course at Sylmar. Red Wrangler pulled up, guy got out and started picking up our discs. We were 300' up the hill and couldn't do anything about it. We yelled and he moved faster is about it. I lost a Star TL and Jake lost two Rocs <one being a SuperRoc with an ace on it>

Man, that's really low. If anybody ever took one of my discs I think I'd be on a VERY personal mission to find out who did it and make their life hell. People thinking it's OK to take from others really pisses me off. Just reading about it is starting to piss me off and I hope this doesn't spread.

Did you check craigslist/ebay? I'm guessing they don't play because if you caught them on the course with a stolen disc they'd get a beating.

That's just scray.

Here in switzerland, we have hardly 100 people playing, and we all know each other ^^ So any player doing this could basicaly not show up any more in swiss tournaments. Not realy worth it.

I know vigilante revenge is frowned upon after a certain point, but I would try to do something to fuck with them.

Find out where they live, break in.

Steal their door hinges, slice their apples. Make holes in their window screens. Shit in their oven.

That kind of stuff, I mean after getting my disc back.

I've had many occasions where I was afraid this very same thing was going to happen, but so far it never did. I'd be tempted to pull out my sharp-rimmed drivers and start throwing them at the person, but then they could take those too!

I had something similar happen, but it was by a group of casual golfers ahead of us.

A group ahead of us waved us through, a blind anhyzer shot downhill.

I ripped my buzzz nice and hard. It was a custom dye that my friends and I called the bloody egg since it had a yellow yolk, then instead of the white it was a red splatter going out to a purple-spongy-looking rim.

underside of the rim was a pearl color, as was the flight plate not-touched by dye.

anyway, I get down there and it is nowhere to be found. the group that waved us is now about 2 holes ahead. I figure I must have just lost it, but I know that hole and I know my shots. Bar some super crazy roll-away, it was a fairway shot.

Well, about a week later I see a kid from that group ahead of us playing at another course. We are both waiting on the same hole and low and behold he pulls out my buzzz. I recognized it instantly without even having to check the name/number on the underside.

He had crossed out my name and number with a sharpee and refused to return it.

Haven't had this problem with our new course yet, but when we were on a road trip visiting some better known Finnish courses we saw lots of kids with big ol' sacks of discs, the bottom of each one around 70% covered in sharpie...

I thought I had it happen to me once. Out throwing some field practice and a couple kids started running around picking up my discs. I yelled up and started to run towards them, but they jogged towards me and asked if I could teach them how to throw. Sadly had to tell them no since their parents weren't around, but that's a story for a different day.

DPJ88 said:
Well, about a week later I see a kid from that group ahead of us playing at another course. We are both waiting on the same hole and low and behold he pulls out my buzzz. I recognized it instantly without even having to check the name/number on the underside.

He had crossed out my name and number with a sharpee and refused to return it.

I am hoping that I run into these kids soon, I too will instantly notice the disc. Not to many people throwing discmania plastic around here and have never seen any noobs carrying a DD. Hopefully I (or my dogs) will be able to pursuade the kid to return it.

The only "drive by" that's happened to me was a drive off hit-and-run. Somebody backed into my passenger side door and didn't notify me. Fortunately, I have a strong suspicion that it was the neighbors that lived across the street from my in-laws. I went over there twice to ask them about and both times they were gone. Since we were leaving to come back to Louisville, I didn't have enough time to pursue them. However, I did file a report with the police. Some people. :|

On the funnier side of things; I was playing Kettering with 2 friends the other day on a short blind hole. All of our shots looked to be parked. Walking up to the area where the hole was a group of pee wee football players round the corner from doing laps, as soon as we catch sight of them their coach yells, "Hey! Drop em!" and all 3 of our discs get dropped by 3 different kids followed by an apology from the coach. Was pretty harmless and lulzy actually.

On the less funnier shitty side of things; Hole 7 at Belmont Park is notorious for drive by disc thieves, it is a short 260 foot hole with a steep hill into a road after the pin. I actually caught a guy in the act of getting out of his car and going after one of my favorite Rocs one time. Managed to chase the fucker off though.