• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Driver Advice

Your driver setup looks something like mine. I really like Destroyers, so perhaps just stick with what you know? Instead of throwing new molds, consider trying out a couple different Destroyers in alternate plastics, weights, and stages of wear to hit all the distance lines you're looking for.

I usually carry a couple if I'm playing a long course. You can't go wrong with Star or Champ plastics. If new and over 170g, expect them to be very stable: great for hyzers, s-curves, and windy days. For something straighter, I'll carry a G* Destroyer or one of my seasoned discs. Eventually, those will get beat enough to turnover...THEN you have a definite keeper!

We had some serious wind the last few days. It was the first good one to test out my "wind fighters" so throwing all these into a strong head wind, here's what I can up with.

Felon: didn't miss a beat, very OS flight
Enforcer: same thing
F1: straightened out a bit, and got tossed when it slowed down, just slightly. I ended up using this a lot that day.
Banshee: same thing
Thunderbird: straightened out quite a bit, still was very stable, ended up being my best distance thrower against the wind.

Throwing with the wind: Sidewinder.

Thanks. I am interested in the Thunderbird, definitely. I'm basically ready for a bag re-org. The Blizzards messed me up I think. I was playing with Elaine when I first started throwing them and they were pretty understable.

Her response: "That's what they're supposed to do".

I should have ditched them then. But I got sucked in because when they did work, they worked well.

Your driver setup looks something like mine. I really like Destroyers, so perhaps just stick with what you know? Instead of throwing new molds, consider trying out a couple different Destroyers in alternate plastics, weights, and stages of wear to hit all the distance lines you're looking for.

I usually carry a couple if I'm playing a long course. You can't go wrong with Star or Champ plastics. If new and over 170g, expect them to be very stable: great for hyzers, s-curves, and windy days. For something straighter, I'll carry a G* Destroyer or one of my seasoned discs. Eventually, those will get beat enough to turnover...THEN you have a definite keeper!

I have just started looking at G-Star. Got the 147 WRaith. Way too understable. Holly Finley mentioned to me she loved them so I'll look at some other molds and higher weights. I loved my Blizzard Destroyer, first run, seemed to be more stable. Then it got beat in after 2 years. I've tried two others and none of them have the stability of that first one. I like the wide rim it has.

I think I need to try to beat in that 159 Star Destroyer, it was actually a Christmas Gift from Noil Golf on this group when we did the Christmas exchange thing. I just haven't thrown it much.

Volt is the best wind disc for me. It's super consistent. It's probably the best disc MVP makes.

Thanks to the generosity of AimForTheChains, I'm going to try it out!

I plan to get all the recommends on here out in the field, fortunately, I used to play a lot of tourneys and have a great stash to choose from!!!

:hfive:

The more discreet DG co's seem to have taken off a bit since I was last active here. So glad to hear about some of these new discs. Thanks! I will read about them.

It's come up before, but I want this chart stamped on one of my discs.
They do actually make discs with this chart stamped on them. I don't know what kind of discs they are... I thought I saw it on some putters.
I have some starfires too. I'll try those out.
Starfire love. I got a Star Starfire this year as recommended by the guy at the store and I immediately fell in love. It was a replacement for my 12x Champ FB that was ridiculously stupid overstable, which was hardly a "driver".

But yea, Starfire will actually fly for some distance before fading. I threw it 330' the first day I got it, which felt pretty good. The FB would never go that far.

I generally go with my teebird also. I have a 162 Orc that works in the wind.My new favorite is a Saint. I feel it's very similar to a teebird, flight wise , but it seems to get more distance for me.

I generally go with my teebird also. I have a 162 Orc that works in the wind.My new favorite is a Saint. I feel it's very similar to a teebird, flight wise , but it seems to get more distance for me.

I can't throw a Saint very far. I got one in a players pack once but I've never had good results.

Teebird is the best for my arm. I used it for every drive this weekend, open or in the woods unless I was thumbing.

I played in some 20-40 mph winds this weekend at the Crucible & my most thrown driver was a C DD, very predictable, very underrated

This is a sweet mold. I had a S-DD that started out beefy. It really straightened out as it seasoned, but without any early turn, and it maintained that late fade. Do they make a G*DD? That might be worth a look.

what if its a 25+ MPH tailwind tho? :rolleyes:

Only really predictable discs are the ones you know how to throw.

My OS discs are still predictable in tailwinds. I speed down in tailwinds. Less stability is also an option, but not necessary for predictability.

The discs I've thrown that are like longer Teebirds are Hurricanes and Quasars.

Last edited:
I was throwing a Blizzard Ape into gusting winds today and it chewed em up and spat em out. I was getting long straight drives with fade art the end, like throwing a Valk on a calm day.

GStar Thunderbird, S/P-PD, Star Starfire all good options. Go up in weight a bit for more wind fighting and control.

Latest posts